apprentice union pipefitter/plumber needs help please

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

chiler in Grand Junction, Colorado

72 months ago

i am a third year UA apprentice pipefitter/plumber out of colorado. i love pipefitting and welding and seemed to be on the right track in my apprenticeship. great reports from my supervisors and co workers, excellent grades in school, i was thrown in the welding program as a second year and failed my ua 23 by a 1/16 of an inch on my cap. anyway life was good until an accident at work led to some work comp issues. for some reason unbeknownst to me my business manager has had some sort of personal vendetta against me. i was sent on a two year strictly plumbing job 3 hours from home. my last two raises have been denied even though i met all the requirements and had exceptional recommendations. i was told that i would not be able to go into the jatc and work on my welding and have so far not been able to retest. all of this has seriously been making me question my future with this local. i feel like i am being punished when i don't feel like i did anything wrong and neither does anyone else. i just need some advice on what to do. i want to improve on all of my skills. i'm wondering if i should go out and just buy a welder and work at home seeing how there are no trade schools around here that offer a welding program. any kind of advice would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

steeplerun in Wake Forest, North Carolina

67 months ago

As a Memeber of Local 112 since 1987 if you passed your year end test you are entitled to a 10% raise...each and every year.I have traveled two hours when I was an apprentice...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sugarpicker in Kennesaw, Georgia

23 months ago

chiler in Grand Junction, Colorado said: i am a third year UA apprentice pipefitter/plumber out of colorado. i love pipefitting and welding and seemed to be on the right track in my apprenticeship. great reports from my supervisors and co workers, excellent grades in school, i was thrown in the welding program as a second year and failed my ua 23 by a 1/16 of an inch on my cap. anyway life was good until an accident at work led to some work comp issues. for some reason unbeknownst to me my business manager has had some sort of personal vendetta against me. i was sent on a two year strictly plumbing job 3 hours from home. my last two raises have been denied even though i met all the requirements and had exceptional recommendations. i was told that i would not be able to go into the jatc and work on my welding and have so far not been able to retest. all of this has seriously been making me question my future with this local. i feel like i am being punished when i don't feel like i did anything wrong and neither does anyone else. i just need some advice on what to do. i want to improve on all of my skills. i'm wondering if i should go out and just buy a welder and work at home seeing how there are no trade schools around here that offer a welding program. any kind of advice would be appreciated.

Have You Spoken To Anyone - I.E. Apprenticeship Coordinator - Or Another Member About Taking The Matter Before The Committee ? Unless There Are Written Rules/Bylaws To Go By To Refute The Matter - It Might Be Tough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.