What are the best pipefitter qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a pipefitter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective pipefitter?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Donte Knight in Dundalk, Maryland

92 months ago

I have been working for a general contractor for six years now.For five years I was being trained by a pipe mechanic but ,im not certified.Do you think theres any opportunities for a hard- working person like myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

rick in Smiths Creek, Michigan

87 months ago

no, working my butt off never got me anywhere its all about who you know lazy jerk offs that ive worked with years ago are now working for the big 3 only because they had relatives working there ive killed myself for 20 yrs. in this trade, took and passed the skilled trades test for all
the big 3 numerous times and never got a response and i'd work circles around 80 percent of those slugs but unfortunately for me my dad was a firefighter. so my advice for you is ask your mom who in your family works for the big 3!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jason in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

84 months ago

rick in smiths creek michigan you are very hard to understand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jerry toms in Fort Wayne, Indiana

80 months ago

rick in Smiths Creek, Michigan said: no, working my butt off never got me anywhere its all about who you know lazy jerk offs that ive worked with years ago are now working for the big 3 only because they had relatives working there ive killed myself for 20 yrs. in this trade, took and passed the skilled trades test for all
the big 3 numerous times and never got a response and i'd work circles around 80 percent of those slugs but unfortunately for me my dad was a firefighter. so my advice for you is ask your mom who in your family works for the big 3!!!!!

I find that hard to believe, figure out how to fix the chip your shoulder and try again.

Regards Jerry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tim in Saginaw, Michigan

79 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a pipefitter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective pipefitter?

the best way to learn the pipe trade is to complete an apreticeship with a local pipefitting union.
you will learn an earn at the same time!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

john robichaux in Thibodaux, Louisiana

78 months ago

tim in Saginaw, Michigan said: the best way to learn the pipe trade is to complete an apreticeship with a local pipefitting union.
you will learn an earn at the same time!!!!

in the south there is no union. but it is the same way here. you start at the bottom. and work from there.however; you do not get promoted by simple being there for a few years. if you pick it up quickly, you could be a top fitter in a year or two. or you can be a helper for the rest of your life. it is all up to you. learn how to read blueprints, take a drafting corse, it well help. learn your fitting formulas like the four by four, this will help you on take outs. study fulcrum points, this will help you with rigging. and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

about to change my career used to be residential framer. thinking about pipefitter helper. curious to know exactly what to expect. what do pipefitters do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JAMES in Edmonton, Alberta

74 months ago

COME TO ALBERTA CANADA BEST PIPE FITTERS AND WELDERS IN THE WORLD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dan E D in Whitecourt, Alberta

73 months ago

JAMES in Edmonton, Alberta said: COME TO ALBERTA CANADA BEST PIPE FITTERS AND WELDERS IN THE WORLD

we are the highest paid oilfield tradesmen in north america, now thanks to your stock market your president! But yes an apprenticeship is the only way to do it! Unions are sh it, you need to work for a subcontractor that pays and plays! Winters here more money tobe made

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jonny in Grande Prairie, Alberta

63 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a pipefitter? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective pipefitter?

I had to do my apprenticship in ablerta ...it 3 years long

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chuck in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

travis in Peotone, Illinois said: Im going to be taking the test to see If I quallify for the pipe fitters union. What should I expect to be on the test?

look for a nother trade theres no work out there right now, but to answer your quetion basic math, fractions, some geometry reading pretty much just maken sure that your not an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.