union work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 133)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

J in Stoughton, Massachusetts

54 months ago

ITS NOT WHAT YOU KNOW ITS WHO YOU KNOW in Millville, New Jersey said: Non union is the way to go if you are not related to a officer or a contractor unions
just want their dues I have been union for 14 years worked my @ss of just to lose everything for being loyal to the unions of philadelphia.I have every license and certification in the union and can't get a job in the union but won't work non union.

It probably depends on your local and what type of work you are doing. Union wages on average are about 30% more than non-union my husband makes 44.50$ an hour union and has never been laid off. I would recommend the Pipefitters Union to anyone, a 5 year education, great pay, and great benefits. What union are you in and how did you lose everything?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee

54 months ago

Yea,pipefitter union is a great one.Your husband is the exeption though,not the rule.I've been a Union Pipefitter for 12 years.The past couple of years have been BY FAR the hardest I've seen.I think most brothers and sisters would pretty much agree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jon oler in Montgomery, Alabama

54 months ago

can you tell me the ordinates to figure a 22.5 degree saddle,please do.someone had to know all these things so you could set your ass on a toliet,and drink from a spikik,i made more 100 grand a year fitting pipe,you i can tell wouldnt be feeling well in a room of pipe hands.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Keyho in Alexandria, Virginia

54 months ago

join local
322 we give jobs to
Brothers and that's itthat the union mascott might try to kill u if u join

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KOLAKING in Mobile, Alabama

54 months ago

I just finished a pipefitting course in which we were just thrown a book and said good luck, we did some layout of ISO's but not much. The teacher was not a pipe fitter but a pipe welder and the recruiter flat out said if it were he half way through the course he would be asking for his money back. I know theory, setting rolling offsets, making saddles, latterals etc. And I'll be damned if I wasted 17 weeks (10) of which was just stick welding which had nothing to do with pipefiting,they just took money i guess, really that part was for shipfitting which I don't see where it takes 10 weeks to learn how to tack weld?? Anyway with the spli with Sfitting And Pfitting i got about 14 full days of pipefitting Instr... i AM GOING TO BE A PIPEFITTER NO MATTER WHAT-- I keep studying all i can but need to get my hands dirty. Anyway I joined this forum to get as much help from you guys as I can, please help me out when i need it.. Thank You Alot!! Neil P.S I don't know if this is going in the right place, If not please tell me how i start my own thread, Also are there anymore pipefitting forums?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jon oler in Montgomery, Alabama

54 months ago

i would be happy to help you in any situations you may come on on the job,i was doing it for 30 years ,i went thru a 4 year apprentiship program,took a test and then you go through the time pireod,but after 30 years i could still learn from others.so you have alot of people here i am sure would help you with formulas and how to figure them,some things can be explained simply in writeing but i think some things need to be eye ball to eye ball so the understanding is better,anyway good luck and if i or anyone could help with a question you would get the right answer.if it's not right some many would jump to shame the man who told you different.peace out and beware of the new world order brother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

slow_dun in San Diego, California

53 months ago

Work in oregon, washington as well as uppcommimg work in CA San Diego

Joe Rusk in Liverpool, United Kingdom

53 months ago

Hi guys,i am a very experienced Pipefitter, time served with all the necessary skill cards and safety passports etc. I am involved with two or three Pipefitters and welders who have just completed a contract for Tyco Marine Services. For the past week or two we have been serching but there is very little work in the UK at the moment. If anyone knows of any sizeable contracts looking for good tradesmen, please contact me. We are prepaired to work almost anywhere, providing the rate is good. Thanks in advance of any help you may have. Kind Regards, Joe Rusk.

Joe Rusk in Liverpool, United Kingdom

53 months ago

robert warburton in Manchester, United Kingdom said: im a time served pipefitter in the uk.we have had a problem with cheap east european labour doing our work,i myself have been out of work nearly all year.we have foreign companies pricing for work with cheap labour refusing to consider british labour.i dont blame the unions(i am a union member).beleive me there are so many skilled pipefitters,welders,riggers etc,in the uk who are in despair with a government and oil companies who ignore we exist.the economic stupidity of all this,the british taxpayer is paying for unemployment benefits.stay with your union and be strong

Hi Robert, my name is Joe Rusk (pipefitter) now living in St. Helens. I know exactly what you are talking about, having had first hand experience with Laurence Mechanicle Services at the Quinn Glass site Elsmere Port 4 years ago. I have been a union member all of my life so nothing surprises me now. The company in question sacked 20 local lads and replaced them with Polish labour. The company would not pay overtime rates or give us the same rates as the irish lads. Through the union the company was taken to an employment tribunal which we won and were awarded 10,000 pounds per man. That company has been working on contracts in the UK and not employing UK labour. As far as i know it is still operating the same way. We Have just finished a contract for Tyco Marine Services so we are looking. If i find anything i will let you know. It Seems very quiet so we may have to look overseas. Kind Regards Joe Rusk.

DN in Roosevelt, Utah

52 months ago

I edited and uploaded a program I wrote to calculate pipe saddle layout, pipe miter layout, and to calculate running offsets for piping runs. I have used similar programs in the past to get information to pipe fitters. I am using and evaluating a conversion program that limits what I can upload during the free trial period; so the sheets may be a bit awkward to use....let me know. Those of you who use the method of dividing a pipe in 16-divisions will note I have added 64-division points should you want to use these; the 64-divisions would be better to use if you were making a saddle template for larger pipe or for a saddle with a shallow angle. The site where I have placed this calculator is 'www.testrun.comze.com. Let me know if it works for you or what seems confusing.

DN

52 months ago

That looks something like the program we had at a fab shop once. I think it was called ezpipe though.
64 increments? That would take a while.
Looks good though man.

boblollis@yahoo.com in Santa Cruz, California

52 months ago

I have been a union pipefitter/welder for 35 yr. worked scab for daniel &duke power.in my early years.South Carolina is a right to work republican state.Not so in Calif.Democratic closed shop means Union everywhere.Pension,good wages,worker rights,voice in wages,safety etc.Dump those right to work republican poverty states.Find a democratic union state,join the union dues and all,take part ,have avoice,work your ass off, be proud ,do quality work, but most of all stick together,be union 100%,all the time.I am now retired with pension,social security &union insurance.It is The best way.Bob

Wallace Frey in La Porte, Texas

52 months ago

I'm 18yrs old, live in La Porte TX, and I'm looking for a job in welding, preferably as a apprentice or something. I'm currently in night school getting my certifications. I'm in the second semester and taking advanced Heliarc and SMAW on carbon steel plate. I will take any job available, but i would really prefer something in welding, just so i can get better experienced in the craft. I'm not in a union, but i figured i might join one if i can get a good job. If anyone knows anything my email is w3ld3r.18@gmail.com

rookie in Arlington, Tennessee

51 months ago

i am taking a welding class am i screwing up???????????????

hungry in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

all your comments are great for reading when you don't have anything to do.

hungry in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The United Association laws and by-laws handbook clearly states that no journeyman shall work with a nonunion helper all helpers shall be union members. Out here they have plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 journeymen working with nonunion members helping them hang pipe. And what bothers me is i called the local 211 b.a. and nothing ever came of it, we have union members out of work and there is plenty of work out here. We need to stay strong and take control of our work out here but no one will stand with me i tell them that 1 person cant make a difference but we all can. All the pipefitters out here dont understand that the company they are working for is not suppose to use nonunion helpers they need to be apprentices. So i ask for all help from any plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 that read this to do something about this . i can be reached through this forum . thanks alot and if you questions about anything else illegal going on out here just ask. We need to get a hold of the United Association leaders to fix this bs in College Stastion

good luck with that one

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hungry in Humble, Texas

51 months ago

rookie in Arlington, Tennessee said: i am taking a welding class am i screwing up???????????????

no you can always use it somewhere

hungry in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

arrill_13 said: i work for GMI
im a tradesmen out of 211 and i have helpers that r nonunion.they r like the best. what is the problem that a lot of journeymen and apperntes r worth less they think that can f off all day they dnt gett things done. i have 2 yrs experience and have serpasst some of the journeymen in everything i get things done if your those kind on workers that like to f off dnt even bother coming to college station. if ur a good hand ur more then welcome.

great job there buddy but it's not going to matter

hungry in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

jimmy in Houston, Texas said: jimmy in college station ,I dont know what u a con. or by-laws you've been reading but you are all wet.Helpers have a probation period, of coarse they dont have a book, nowhere in the con. or the by-laws does it address this situation.This is how you grow,not everyone is lucky enough to be born into it.You use the apprentice program,helpers,and welders and fitters that have been properly tested.If I was afraid of a helper getting my job I would get some continuous education, its free you know at 211.Who did you talk to at the Hall? When is the last meeting you went to? You dont call the U A you follow the chain of command , that is one of the things that got us into trusteeship.
PROUD 42 year member
OH! By the way hello CRUSTY no telling who you'll run into out here.

42 hume that would make you like the oldest pipe fitter living

jimmy in College Station, Texas

51 months ago

Not only that great grammar job where did this clown come from. Good, stay working for GMI you rat. Ouuu a whole two years experience, your still wet under your ears. And for goodness sake go back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Woody in Lorain, Ohio

51 months ago

hungry in Houston, Texas said: 42 hume that would make you like the oldest pipe fitter living

Hey guy's I was wonderin bout testin for 798 do you know what it consists of? I'm non union now !!! Also do they ask for a lace cap?

worker

51 months ago

Woody in Lorain, Ohio said: Hey guy's I was wonderin bout testin for 798 do you know what it consists of? I'm non union now !!! Also do they ask for a lace cap?

2 grand may start you off

Downhill Racer in Lorain, Ohio

51 months ago

Is that what the test costs? I found out from someone here that the test is 24" with a puddle cap! what "X" pipe is it and do u know what rod they expect u to use? Thanx!!!!

crane66 in Lima, Ohio

51 months ago

hungry in Houston, Texas said: 42 hume that would make you like the oldest pipe fitter living

probation 30 days .must take journenman test after 30 days. if your local doesn't have this , bring it up at the meetings . this is the problem, no one shows up at the meetings. get ur buddies, go to meeting, bring this to by-law. LOCAL 776 BROTHER, Hicks time 4 the ua to weed out the rats !

crane66 in Lima, Ohio

51 months ago

nlpc. might help ya ! boy does that piss um off.

51 months ago

crane66 in Lima, Ohio said: nlpc. might help ya ! boy does that piss um off.

What is nlpc?

Carl Mills in Klamath Falls, Oregon

51 months ago

When are thay going to start the Ruby pipe-line job out of southern Oregon? And can I join the union as journeyman pipe fitter?

Jimmy in Palacios, Texas

51 months ago

I do know this much about 798 you have to be asked to join this local 798 they don't just let anybody in. And they don't want anybody in with a bobcat welding machine. The pay is good and it costs a $1000 to test out and even if you pass they may not work you. Like I said find someone who is a member and see what it takes to be a member. Good luck, hey also try finding a U.A. local around you first .

DN in Vernal, Utah

51 months ago

The above mentioned calculator for pipe saddle and miter layout information has been moved to a permanant site.....'www.pipesaddlelayout.com.

DN

Larry A Robinson in Missoula, Montana

50 months ago

Currently Chattanooga TN is looking for welders UA Local 43, try them travel to the job and get your card.

50 months ago

Jimmy in Palacios, Texas said: I do know this much about 798 you have to be asked to join this local 798 they don't just let anybody in. And they don't want anybody in with a bobcat welding machine. The pay is good and it costs a $1000 to test out and even if you pass they may not work you. Like I said find someone who is a member and see what it takes to be a member. Good luck, hey also try finding a U.A. local around you first .

I am non-union now ,but I wondern how I would get asked ? I had my interest sparked a couple of years ago when I was testing at a company. They had 9 fellas of the 798 come through that same week, and they all didn't pass most were gone the first day by 11 am. I thought maybe the 798 might need someone that could pass and go right out and do the work

TRUE-UA.HAND

50 months ago

jon oler in Montgomery, Alabama said: can you tell me the ordinates to figure a 22.5 degree saddle,please do.someone had to know all these things so you could set your ass on a toliet,and drink from a spikik,i made more 100 grand a year fitting pipe,you i can tell wouldnt be feeling well in a room of pipe hands.

@ joe oler...UMMMM, you just cant ask for ordinates without specifying both sizes(dia), duuuuhhhhhh! and what the hell is a "spikik"? do you mean a spigot? 100 grand? my arse! SCAB!

jon oler in selma, Alabama

50 months ago

working for non union company's 30 years friend.made ass of money..and if typo's are your only way to maon.then moan,i will make more typo's.22.5 yes.you must have 2 centers to work from.i never paid any man or woman to have me sit with out work.never.i'm not saying anything about the unions.hell thats the reason we made so much-you ever work a job and b.e & k come rolling in ? if you did it meant your ass was gone,yea 30 years of travel all over america..neber could stick my head in my ass and wait on someone else to find me a job.then your unions hire US when you guys won't travel.thats another ouch-i8 respect all.until you show none..you could never have worked for me.and i built paper mills,food processers,oil refinerys.ect ect.i've worked every kind of common pipe here in america.i've ran off 50 men at same time for not doing as instructed.i've even had the unplesant task of giveing work too a local union.there supervision suc'd.they were also gone and replaced by pipefitters and welders from around.don't send notes being a smart ass.15 years as a supt.i never let em do it at work.you build a job,knowing what you are doing.pre fabed pipe means they don't have confidence in there current tradesmen ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee said: Anybody know of any work around TN?
Been in Local 538 for 12 years and love it.But the work is dried up right now.Would love to head up north,but money is loooow.

hey man-i just heard of some pipe work in augusta ga.just work it thru indeed and see if it still there ..it's not that far away.if ya gotta travel to eat .i'd travel.i traveled so many states building our industry.now all our industry is shutting down and moving away to satify anothers creed.try those nuke plants they say they are building.they are in waynesboro ga,but-K.B.R will most likely do them as the south is not big on unions.good luck

50 months ago

Hey thanks!
I've had to go on full disability now though. I should know within a month if I got it or not.
Thanls though and good luck to all of my brothers and sisters!

50 months ago

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee said: Yea it's crazy!
Seems like the government would rather see you on unemplyment than to create new jobs.I thought with all the talk of the US needing our own sustainable power that we would see a big spike in the need for skilled labor to build these new power plants and such.
It does seem like we're SLOWLY clawing our way out of the hole though.
One things for sure.This recession has been a killer!
Good luck to all my brothers and sisters.

“As President Obama Prepares For A Visit To Savannah On Tuesday, An Environmental Group Is Protesting His Stance On Nuclear Energy With Television Advertisements … Obama Recently Announced $8 Billion In Federal Loan Guarantees For An Expansion Of The Vogtle Nuclear Power Plant In Waynesboro, [GA].” dirt work and underground going on now.

50 months ago

Yea I seen that.
It's about time he started backing up that talk with some actions.

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

49 months ago

30 years, so does that mean your retired now or are you still working?

49 months ago

retired\heart issue's..traveling all over the country eating fast foods and things.but mentally i'm good.good luck out there.i saw a shut down in utah,25 an hour and 300 a-day.good luck..

49 months ago

robert warburton in Manchester, United Kingdom said: im a time served pipefitter in the uk.we have had a problem with cheap east european labour doing our work,i myself have been out of work nearly all year.we have foreign companies pricing for work with cheap labour refusing to consider british labour.i dont blame the unions(i am a union member).beleive me there are so many skilled pipefitters,welders,riggers etc,in the uk who are in despair with a government and oil companies who ignore we exist.the economic stupidity of all this,the british taxpayer is paying for unemployment benefits.stay with your union and be strong

they our goverments don't want us working.why ? because england and america have sold their people out by sending our work to other countries.we all are headed for some very BAD days.their building some kind of concentration camps now.! i'm sure over there also.

LNR3 in Aurora, Indiana

49 months ago

My husband and our family are looking to relocate to Texas and I was wondering what union has the most work? It is really important that we get as much info as possible because I do not want to move our family and then there be no work. This is a huge change for us because we have lived in Indiana our entire life and I want to make sure this is the right decision before we jump. Thank you in advance for the information.

49 months ago

i hope i am replying to the question to my mail box.it's just my opinion of the work situation today,a woman ask me or all of us if we thought it a good idea to move from indiana to texas ?for pipe work.i was a traveler i worked in texas way back in the 70's,i did notice alot of mexicans working there.KBR.most likely the biggest employer in oil refineries there,but even i would have to have a definent commitment before moveing family that far away.and i mentioned all the man power also meaning non union compmies can keep the pay scale down.and they do.indiana seems to me you would be closer to home by hooking up at the shipyards.good pay there.but shipyards on all coast are hireing.utah i saw had a ad out for shutdown work but it's gone now,good luck maybe you got some answers from the pipe hands in texas ?good luck.keep the shipyards in mind for a crunch..

LNR3 in Mount Vernon, Ohio

49 months ago

jon oler in selma, Alabama said: i hope i am replying to the question to my mail box.it's just my opinion of the work situation today,a woman ask me or all of us if we thought it a good idea to move from indiana to texas ?for pipe work.i was a traveler i worked in texas way back in the 70's,i did notice alot of mexicans working there.KBR.most likely the biggest employer in oil refineries there,but even i would have to have a definent commitment before moveing family that far away.and i mentioned all the man power also meaning non union compmies can keep the pay scale down.and they do.indiana seems to me you would be closer to home by hooking up at the shipyards.good pay there.but shipyards on all coast are hireing.utah i saw had a ad out for shutdown work but it's gone now,good luck maybe you got some answers from the pipe hands in texas ?good luck.keep the shipyards in mind for a crunch..

I didn't mean to send this to anyone specific. I meant to send it to everyone to see the type of replies I got. Thank you for your information!

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

49 months ago

Hey what union do you want to belong to, what craft? Are you a union member already if so you can change your book over to that other union. If its a united association local of pipe fitters and plumbers. I don't know why you would even consider moving from Indiana to Texas, its not what its cracked up to be.

49 months ago

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas said: Hey what union do you want to belong to, what craft? Are you a union member already if so you can change your book over to that other union. If its a united association local of pipe fitters and plumbers. I don't know why you would even consider moving from Indiana to Texas, its not what its cracked up to be.

We were looking into the pipefitters/welders locals in Texas. Yes, my husband is in the local 392 out of Ohio. The reason we would like to move to Texas is the weather and there is really no union work around this area. I have been told that there is work in Texas and I would like to attend the University of Texas law school. I just want to make sure that we are making a smart move because we have children. I just want honest info from individuals who actually live and work in the area. I appreciate your time in responding to my post.

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

49 months ago

Local 286 Austin just had a big lay off at Sam sung, but are expecting to hire back. Local 211 has a lot of downtown work and in 2012 they will have 2 new nuclear reactors built. Local 100 Dallas has some work at Texas Instruments but they have some guys on the bench. Local 211 is crappy work but it pays the bills and insurance with a pension credit. San Antonio has a lot of work coming up on the Air Force Base , but I don't know the locals # in San Antonio. Hope this helps if you need anything else I check my emails every so often. What about working on the road as a traveler has your husband tried that.

49 months ago

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas said: Local 286 Austin just had a big lay off at Sam sung, but are expecting to hire back. Local 211 has a lot of downtown work and in 2012 they will have 2 new nuclear reactors built. Local 100 Dallas has some work at Texas Instruments but they have some guys on the bench. Local 211 is crappy work but it pays the bills and insurance with a pension credit. San Antonio has a lot of work coming up on the Air Force Base , but I don't know the locals # in San Antonio. Hope this helps if you need anything else I check my emails every so often. What about working on the road as a traveler has your husband tried that.

Thank you so much for all the information. He does not want to be away from home for long periods of time, that is why he has not worked over the road. Again thank you for all the info.

Chris in Crosby in Crosby, Texas

49 months ago

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas said: Local 286 Austin just had a big lay off at Sam sung, but are expecting to hire back. Local 211 has a lot of downtown work and in 2012 they will have 2 new nuclear reactors built. Local 100 Dallas has some work at Texas Instruments but they have some guys on the bench. Local 211 is crappy work but it pays the bills and insurance with a pension credit.

Just found this forum, and I've been reading through all the thoughts and comments. I'm unemployed right now and a friend of the family suggested that I go to 211 and get into the apprenticeship course for HVAC. From reading everything on here, I get the impression that just because you get into the union doesn't mean you'll be working immediately. I need the education and on the job experience, but I was wondering if there will be any OTJ if I get into 211? If anyone from 211 currently has any news on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

49 months ago

Hell yeah get into 211 as a hvac personal that's a great career move. A lot of ojt and good apprenticeship. But ask for this position first from the apprenticeship tell them that's what you want to do, you will always have work, those buildings downtown are always having maintenance work and problems.

slim1993 in Mcalester, Oklahoma

48 months ago

Need to move back to okc,ok .Hows work ? I am a member of local 344 okc.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.