union work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 134 of 134)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Hoss in Johnson City, Tennessee

51 months ago

I too would say stay put. To uproot my family and move across the country. There had better be a sweet deal lined out. "IF" you're thinking of moving for the "posibility" of work. Then for sure stay where you're at. Look around a bit more. There has to be something closer to home.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ziggy in Youngstown, Ohio

51 months ago

Chris in Crosby in Crosby, Texas said: Just found this forum, and I've been reading through all the thoughts and comments. I'm unemployed right now and a friend of the family suggested that I go to 211 and get into the apprenticeship course for HVAC. From reading everything on here, I get the impression that just because you get into the union doesn't mean you'll be working immediately. I need the education and on the job experience, but I was wondering if there will be any OTJ if I get into 211? If anyone from 211 currently has any news on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Apprentices usually get work as they are cheap, learn fitting before you start into hvac service IMHO, also note that service work will burn you out after a while depending upon for whom you work. I spent loads of time getting good at it and never want to do service again. To many back stabbing (edited word, lmao), not being able to go to one person for an answer(you know the buck stops here sort of thing), and policies that piss the customer off. So be real careful where you choose to work and if it changes for the worse leave immediately, it ain't worth staying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wheless in Spring, Texas

51 months ago

ive worked with jimmy at garrett jimmys a good guy and he knows his stuff garretts out of work and me to im from 211 anyone no of any work in houston

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wheless in Spring, Texas

51 months ago

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas said: Hell yeah get into 211 as a hvac personal that's a great career move. A lot of ojt and good apprenticeship. But ask for this position first from the apprenticeship tell them that's what you want to do, you will always have work, those buildings downtown are always having maintenance work and problems.

jimmy it clinton how you doing give me a call i have some questions and im tellin you you should be a ba for 211 you would be great

pbatsche in Minneapolis, Minnesota

51 months ago

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: i just joined the local 823 i got my cert but still no work!!!!hmmmm is it a waist of money to join a union?...they still want me to pay every month!even with no work....

The Jobs will come around. Have your union call an area you would want to work in as a traveler.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pbatsche in Minneapolis, Minnesota

51 months ago

I know it's tough out there, I am the manpower agent for a local union and I do all I can to get members to work. There will be a large Nuclear outage in '11 that will take over 450 pipefitters for 65-90 days.

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas

51 months ago

What nuke is this, I just left a nuke last week , help out brother.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

changingUSA in Minneapolis, Minnesota

47 months ago

everyone vote for Obama again please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jonoler in Montgomery, Alabama

47 months ago

slow_dun in San Diego, California said: Work in oregon, washington as well as uppcommimg work in CA San Diego

hows that new work goping you told us about a year ago that would be there..?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scotty in Bristol, Tennessee

47 months ago

How can a man get a job with the local 538?

Robbie MacLeod in Lethbridge, Alberta

47 months ago

pipewelder361 in Corpus Christi, Texas said: i just joined the local 823 i got my cert but still no work!!!!hmmmm is it a waist of money to join a union?...they still want me to pay every month!even with no work....

Pipe-fitters in Alberta, Canada are always looking for travelers for the oil and gas industry i think that they start at 42 CAD an Hr., try them out brother!

edh in Henderson, Nevada

46 months ago

Jimmy in Bay City, Texas said: Local 286 Austin just had a big lay off at Sam sung, but are expecting to hire back. Local 211 has a lot of downtown work and in 2012 they will have 2 new nuclear reactors built. Local 100 Dallas has some work at Texas Instruments but they have some guys on the bench. Local 211 is crappy work but it pays the bills and insurance with a pension credit. San Antonio has a lot of work coming up on the Air Force Base , but I don't know the locals # in San Antonio. Hope this helps if you need anything else I check my emails every so often. What about working on the road as a traveler has your husband tried that.

How about work for sprinkler fitters? Had to have 2 operations on my foot and ankle this past year so have been out for that time and now that I can be released back to work there is no work here in vegas. The big City Center job brought in way to many travlers and then when the job stopped it left allot of people stranded with no work.I been in the union for 12 years and never laid off before and was never one for jumping ship to chase overtime i just wanted a good wage for a good hard days work. I lived in Texas for a few years when I was in the military training the 40th who were transitioning into Bradley Fighting vehicles. Loved College Station San Antonio and Hill Country areas. Anyways I had heard through the grapevine that San Antonio had work, but wasn't sure. I just got my cert for mig welding and now working on getting my pipe cert. I figure the more you know the better. Any response about work down there would be appreciated.Thanks

robert in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

you guys do not make sense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeffdaddy

44 months ago

slow_dun in San Diego, California said: Work in oregon, washington as well as uppcommimg work in CA San Diego

What are they paying for journeymen pipefitters in Portland, do you know? I'm in San Diego now but want to relocate. I make about $40/hr before taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Austin, Texas

43 months ago

LNR3 in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: We were looking into the pipefitters/welders locals in Texas. Yes, my husband is in the local 392 out of Ohio. The reason we would like to move to Texas is the weather and there is really no union work around this area. I have been told that there is work in Texas and I would like to attend the University of Texas law school. I just want to make sure that we are making a smart move because we have children. I just want honest info from individuals who actually live and work in the area. I appreciate your time in responding to my post.

I work out of local 286 in Austin, TX. We are like everyone else with our ups and downs. I have to say we have had a lot of work here for sometime. The one thing you need to watch for is the local stuff. Make sure before you come that they will transfer you in as a local member and not a traveler. It can be done but is usually a pain in the butt. Good luck I hope this post helps.

JMC in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Frank in Austin, Texas said: I work out of local 286 in Austin, TX. We are like everyone else with our ups and downs. I have to say we have had a lot of work here for sometime. The one thing you need to watch for is the local stuff. Make sure before you come that they will transfer you in as a local member and not a traveler. It can be done but is usually a pain in the butt. Good luck I hope this post helps.

What's the scale in Austin? Thanks!

idreamofjeanny in Belleville, Illinois

42 months ago

Lots of work in Il. if you can stand the cold or bechtel for that matter. Prarie State project. You better be a damn good welder though 5 out of 40 made it through the day of my weld test.

JMC in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

idreamofjeanny in Belleville, Illinois said: Lots of work in Il. if you can stand the cold or bechtel for that matter. Prarie State project. You better be a damn good welder though 5 out of 40 made it through the day of my weld test.

We have some stuff breaking out in the April-May in SoCal.Local 364 has some BIG projects!!!

jon oler in selma, Alabama

42 months ago

are they hireing fitters also ? and what city are you in.and you say the weld test is a mo-fo huh..?thanks for any info you can give me.

Gibson 625 in Hurricane, West Virginia

41 months ago

Jimmy in College Station, Texas said: That was a really good reply, I do respect that. I to do not understand people in the union. I've seen everything over the years good and bad. And its getting bad now, the stuff thats going on in College Station just amazes me. The United Association laws and by-laws handbook clearly states that no journeyman shall work with a nonunion helper all helpers shall be union members. Out here they have plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 journeymen working with nonunion members helping them hang pipe. And what bothers me is i called the local 211 b.a. and nothing ever came of it, we have union members out of work and there is plenty of work out here. We need to stay strong and take control of our work out here but no one will stand with me i tell them that 1 person cant make a difference but we all can. All the pipefitters out here dont understand that the company they are working for is not suppose to use nonunion helpers they need to be apprentices. So i ask for all help from any plumbers 68 and pipefitters 211 that read this to do something about this . i can be reached through this forum . thanks alot and if you questions about anything else illegal going on out here just ask. We need to get a hold of the United Association leaders to fix this bs in College Stastion

Sadly, this sort of rat behavior seems to be going on all over. I'm now in my final month of apprentice classes, and over the past 5 1/2 yrs it seems like on each job, contractors try to get by with more than the last. Last year i spent 10 months trying to beat Millwrights out of KY off of piping work with a 36"rigid.

fed up in Henderson, Nevada

41 months ago

I am not going to call non union fitters names unless they purposely install against code and deserve it. I have seen plenty of union brothers that would make a game out of ffing off. Last one to show up and 1st one out, extra long breaks, talk with all the other trades on the job ect. Everyone needs a job and some people do not trust unions. Although their wages would not be where they are now if it was not for the union, but I have seen to many union brothers install incorrectly and don't care. The amount of fitters who push the envelope with shoddy work and shoddy work ethics is astounding. Everyone always says to report them, but I have never seen this work.I have seen so many people doing drugs on the job, coming to work drunk and even getting high on the job. You say call the BA's, but I haven't seen a BA in this town do anything but collect a check for over 20 years. I keep hearing to always give 8 for 8 and have seen where fitters lost huge amounts of retirement benefits and pay because they kept producing for the company and the owner kept all the money earmarked for social security , insurance and all other money that is taken out of our checks to support the union. This company closed up shop and screwed a lot of brothers and sisters and he now owns a non-union shop. Where was the BA then!! How about now!! The union is offering out of work members insurance for up to 2 years at a cost of 280 dollars a month. THATS JUST FOR THE UNION MEMBER! HOW ABOUT HIS WIFE AND KIDS WHAT DUE THEY DO FOR INSURANCE. When my insurance ran out I bought insurance for my whole family with 0 deducable for less than 225 a month. Yes it is a lot of money, but it's less than the union wants to charge and it covers my family., Isn't that why we have insurance for in the first place to cover our wife ande kids. Sometimes I wonder if they just don't dream of these schemes jusat to stuff the pockets of all the dead weight of the so-called people elected to look out for our interest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Rusk in Liverpool, United Kingdom

41 months ago

Hi guys, please note that the company using the web site (jobs@momrecruitment.com) is operating a scam, Lots of lads have sent money to pay for tickets,visas etc.for jobs in Russia which do not exist. Please pass this info on. Regards Joe Rusk.

Safebuddy in Edmonton, Alberta

37 months ago

Joe Rusk in Liverpool, United Kingdom said: Hi guys, please note that the company using the web site (jobs@momrecruitment.com) is operating a scam, Lots of lads have sent money to pay for tickets,visas etc.for jobs in Russia which do not exist. Please pass this info on. Regards Joe Rusk.

Thanks Joe! I have heard about it on Safebook Industrial and it is great that you inform the rest of the guys on this site as well. =]

37 months ago

fed up in Henderson, Nevada said: I am not going to call non union fitters names unless they purposely install against code and deserve it. I have seen plenty of union brothers that would make a game out of ffing off. Last one to show up and 1st one out, extra long breaks, talk with all the other trades on the job ect. Everyone needs a job and some people do not trust unions. Although their wages would not be where they are now if it was not for the union, but I have seen to many union brothers install incorrectly and don't care. The amount of fitters who push the envelope with shoddy work and shoddy work ethics is astounding. Everyone always says to report them, but I have never seen this work.I have seen so many people doing drugs on the job, coming to work drunk and even getting high on the job. You say call the BA's, but I haven't seen a BA in this town do anything but collect a check for over 20 years. I keep hearing to always give 8 for 8 and have seen where fitters lost huge amounts of retirement benefits and pay because they kept producing for the company and the owner kept all the money earmarked for social security , insurance and all other money that is taken out of our checks to support the union. This company closed up shop and screwed a lot of brothers and sisters and he now owns a non-union shop. Where was the BA then!! How about now!! The union is offering out of work members insurance for up to 2 years at a cost of 280 dollars a month. THATS JUST FOR THE UNION MEMBER! HOW ABOUT HIS WIFE AND KIDS WHAT DUE THEY DO FOR INSURANCE. When my insurance ran out I bought insurance for my whole family with 0 deducable for less than 225 a month. Yes it is a lot of money, but it's less than the union wants to charge and it covers my family., Isn't that why we have insurance for in the first place to cover our wife ande kids. Sometimes I wonder if they just don't dream of these schemes jusat to stuff the pockets of all the dead weight of the so-called peo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

37 months ago

Safebuddy in Edmonton, Alberta said:

The best union brothers are Local 488 in Alberta! They are simply la creme de la creme. I follow some of them on my Safebook Industrial account. We exchange info about the best jobs in the oil patch in Fort Mac. No rest for the wicked.

Louis in London, United Kingdom

33 months ago

robert warburton in Manchester, United Kingdom said: im a time served pipefitter in the uk.we have had a problem with cheap east european labour doing our work,i myself have been out of work nearly all year.we have foreign companies pricing for work with cheap labour refusing to consider british labour.i dont blame the unions(i am a union member).beleive me there are so many skilled pipefitters,welders,riggers etc,in the uk who are in despair with a government and oil companies who ignore we exist.the economic stupidity of all this,the british taxpayer is paying for unemployment benefits.stay with your union and be strong

I'm a company from cheshire and looking for 2 pipe fitters in the merseyside area for a weeks work installing 2" steel gas line and secondary meter. Anyone interested?

Dheasley in Douglassville, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

pipewelder361 said: How would I go about getting a pipe welding job with the union?....im a nccer certified pipe welder...im 22years old I have 4years of industrial pipe welding...I live in corpus christi texas....thnx

All I can say is be sure to join a local that allows self solicitation. Meaning you have the ability to contact any contractor who participates in the collective bargaining agreement for employment. Many trade unions do not allow their members to seek employment. In other words they send you out to a job and if the contractor likes you, or more importantly, your skills, they will keep you on. PROVIDING they have enough work to keep you busy. If not you will get laid off and sent back to your hall only to be put on an out of work list. You get in back of the line and wait until your number comes up, and let me tell ya in todays construction market you could wait a long, long time. Its especially nice when your unemployment runs out and you find out some idiot with zero work ethic is working ahead of you because of union contacts. If you can self solicit you have a better chance of keeping a job because you can gain contacts based on you reputation, skills, and work ethic. When contractors layoff it's always the bums who go first. Never forget. Your reputation is all you have. Be on time. Always show up for work. Never complain and always hustle despite what the hard core union slugs say about working yourself out of a job. My advice. Go to college. When you get to be about 40 your back and knees will begin to fail and your gonna have to compete with the younger guys. All contractors are interested in making money. Period. When it comes to any project they only want to hear two words. IM DONE. Good luck.

ahgoodriend in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Can women do pipefitting and union work too? I have 6 kids, no job, and my husband left... I need this too.....

Susan in Tucson, Arizona

30 months ago

boblollis@yahoo.com in Santa Cruz, California said: I have been a union pipefitter/welder for 35 yr. worked scab for daniel &duke power.in my early years.South Carolina is a right to work republican state.Not so in Calif.Democratic closed shop means Union everywhere.Pension,good wages,worker rights,voice in wages,safety etc.Dump those right to work republican poverty states.Find a democratic union state,join the union dues and all,take part ,have avoice,work your ass off, be proud ,do quality work, but most of all stick together,be union 100%,all the time.I am now retired with pension,social security &union insurance.It is The best way.Bob

Bob,
My husband is just making it into the unionhere in Arizona as an apprentice but we hope to move either to California or New York for my career. Is he going to be able to shift over? Thanks, Susan

Stephanie in College Station, Texas

29 months ago

My husand has been Doing Plumbers Apprentice work for 2 1/2 years in College Station.. and the company is just.."letting him go" He works his ass off in whatever he does. He has become very smart and is eager to learn more. Is the Union something he needs to just go with? I have a freind who joined the one in Houston.. swears by it.. then others that say its B.S... just trying ot get input by folks who have been in it for a while. Thanks

lou in Salinas, California

25 months ago

pipewelder361 said: How would I go about getting a pipe welding job with the union?....im a nccer certified pipe welder...im 22years old I have 4years of industrial pipe welding...I live in corpus christi texas....thnx

You nees to traval to work as a pipe welder. Lots of work in the bay San Fransco San Jose.
I work out of L.U. #62 and staying busy

Union Wife in Camanche, Iowa

24 months ago

Safebuddy in Edmonton, Alberta said: The best union brothers are Local 488 in Alberta! They are simply la creme de la creme. I follow some of them on my Safebook Industrial account . We exchange info about the best jobs in the oil patch in Fort Mac. No rest for the wicked.

My Husband is a Union Pipefitter from Iowa he just got a letter from this haul asking him if he would be interested in some work. Could you tell me would he stay working if we were to relocate. We went to Mexico in March and met someone ( older Guy) from this area and he must have gave them all of his information, the letter was sent to him not like one that comes from his haul. So could you give me some input we are ready for a change and not to have to keep him on the road away from his family.

thank you

Union Wife

TheNewGuy in Meridian, Oklahoma

8 months ago

Hey All.

I am from the anti union South... I was brought up that way. But as times move on I find myself with more important things to worry about... I have a new family and I am looking to find a career but I have a few questions... What will I have to do to join my localas an apprentice? What kind of pay should I expect starting out? As an apprentice will I have enought work to support my family? I am expecting a reduction in pay at first as I make about 16 an hou4 presently. Please help this new guy out! Even educated guesses would be helpful! Thanks!

Tim in Prattville, Alabama

2 months ago

Can any of you guys tell me how to deal with non union pipe hands.I was union for ten years lost my temper quit mistake.They come on the job and lie about their experience hell they cant Evan fit up a 45 on its side let alone understand a trig chart so they just lie scheme and pass the buck.with is why they cant make much if you don't know or haven't done don't say that you have

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.