Rusty Pipes

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Chad in Coldwater, Michigan

93 months ago

Every now and again we get rust stains on our clothes while doing laundry. Bathwater and tolilet water is rusty at times, too.

Is there something I can do to clean out the insides of my pipes and remove the rust that is damaging our clothes and causing a neusance in the tub, toilet, and sinks?

Thanks

Chad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

richard in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

I have tried many iron stain removers and nothing seems to work. the best thing that i have found was 2000 flushes. that works best for long term treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

gin in Chicago, Illinois

89 months ago

i do wear old cloth or the same while cleaning the things lest that should get stain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Tommy Blackburn

83 months ago

Chad in Coldwater, Michigan said: Every now and again we get rust stains on our clothes while doing laundry. Bathwater and tolilet water is rusty at times, too.

Is there something I can do to clean out the insides of my pipes and remove the rust that is damaging our clothes and causing a neusance in the tub, toilet, and sinks?

Thanks

Chad

In my 30 yrs experience the best thing to do is replace the pipes with pvc or cpvc pipe. There is nothing to clean the pipe with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Keith/plumber in Austin, Texas

76 months ago

Sounds like you have a rusty galvanized nipple or pipe somewhere you can find it or like Tommy said replace the pipe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ray in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

or maybe you have an undreground pipe broken

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mattscards in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

No underground broken pipe, there would be a huge leak and would have nothing to do with rust. Nothing can enter the waterline that isn't already there.(pressured lines) It is from galvanized pipes rusting and as tommy said the only thing to do is go up in the attic and little by little cut outand replace all the mains(if it runs there). I would try the mains first and then if you still have rusty water, you will have to change out all your drops as well.That will be a job because you will have to more than likely bust out some of your walls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PAT in Encinitas, California

70 months ago

CHANGE OUT YOUR ANGLE STOPS AND THE NIPPLES AND YOU WILL SEE HOW MUCH RUST HAS BUILT UP AND HOW CLOSED UP YOUR WATER SYSTEM IS? ON YOUR BATH, THE TUB NIPPLE SHOULD BE CHANGED ALSO. IT MAY ALSO BE
GAL. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU SHOULD REPIPE ANY WAY, BUT THIS COULD BE A
CHEAP FIX FOR YOU AT THIS TIME. YOUR WATER VOLUME SHOULD INCREASE
SOME ANYWAY AT YOUR FIXTURES AFTER YOU CHANGE YOUR STOPS? IT'S NOT
REALLY TIME AND MONEY WASTED,YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO REPIPE AT SOME POINT,SO YOU CAN USE THOSE PARTS AGAIN. GOOD LUCK AND BE CARFULL,PARTS CAN SNAP OFF INSIDE YOUR WALLS AND MAKE YOUR RUSTY WATER THE LEAST OF YOUR PROBLEMS. (HIRE A PLUMBER)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Lehigh Acres, Florida

68 months ago

There is a cleaner you can get at the doller store that works great for toilets and bath, its called "THE WORKS". I live in Florida don't know if it is sold elsewhere. Iron Out works great for white cloths. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Plumb Bob in Toronto, Ontario

45 months ago

Chad in Coldwater, Michigan said: Every now and again we get rust stains on our clothes while doing laundry. Bathwater and tolilet water is rusty at times, too.

Thanks

Chad

Like other plumbers said , get rid of the galvanized piping , it involves re-piping your entire system , copper is good , pvc is good !!! make sure water piping is suitable for potable water systems !!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lou in IngÄ, Finland

45 months ago

Repipe sure....copper, cpvc, Aqua-Pex!
You could also look for a simple filter and install that at the connection to your washer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Plumb Bob in Toronto, Ontario

45 months ago

The pipes are already full of rust and calcium it's caked on ,you wouldn't get it off with TNT , its galvanized pipe , a filter won't do anything d a !!!!! Take it from a Plumber that rips out 25 story buildings full of that pipe and re-pipes with copper !!!! Save your time and future headaches !!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Covington, Louisiana

38 months ago

I have two faucets that the water is coming out brown. Would this be a pipe problem or water company problem?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kenny in Colonial Heights, Virginia

35 months ago

change your pipes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.