copper pipe problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

jay

80 months ago

Can anyone help me fiure out why???

Copper pipe for HWBB in new house.
Heat was on for about a month, but the elbow broke and water was pouring out. Im wondering what the reasons are that it broke.

New copper hwbb with elbow. Broken part was by a sliding glass door, that was closed, and temp outside was 35 with 22 windchill. But heat was set to 60 in the house. Worked for about a month, and then broke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

richie in Reading, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

the elbow had a bad mold and the seem ,separated do to expansion and contraction of the system .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray

80 months ago

jay said: Can anyone help me fiure out why???

Heat was on for about a month, but the elbow broke and water was pouring out. Im wondering what the reasons are that it broke.

New copper hwbb with elbow. Broken part was by a sliding glass door, that was closed, and temp outside was 35 with 22 windchill. But heat was set to 60 in the house. Worked for about a month, and then broke.

Even a small draft hitting to pipe can cause it to freeze when the boiler is not running between cycles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jay

80 months ago

but the pipe was inside the house,, all windows and doors were closed.

Ray

80 months ago

A small draft can cause a pipe to break. I've seen brass ball valves crack from freeze ups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carry in Anonymous Proxy

79 months ago

I don't think so it may brake easily. find the reason lest it should break again. did you it install yourself? you should have taken help qualified professional, as i take from tucsonazplumbers.com/

rjjr38

79 months ago

Make sure all the air is out of the system.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

frank in Bayonne, New Jersey

77 months ago

the reason for your cpr line to break is because it frooze and split..either at the seam or the ice seperated the joint..reason being that is because when you heat water and make it hot your are releasing the oxygen molecules in it making it lighter.so in turn no oxygen in the water the the faster it freezes but the faster it heats as well

jay

77 months ago

but the pipe was inside the livingroom. the elbow fitting came loose. The house temp was set around 60. So how could 60 degrees freeze?

Frank Papp in Wappingers Falls, New York

75 months ago

My opinion is it must have been cold draft, aether the sliding door was cracked open or there is a opening somewhere for the cold draft to be aimed at that joint.
20F. ambient temp. will take at least 24+ hours to freeze a pipe, but a well directed cold draft will split a fitting or a joint in a very short time eaven in a
heated room. I've seen it many times. And Frank in Bayonne is correct. Hot water freezes before cold water, because it is less dense molecularly.Hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jay

75 months ago

the door was locked shut, and even so, the door opens on the opposite side from the pipe. So a crack would be 6 feet away.

Roger Lane in Tucson, Arizona

74 months ago

Did you take apart the 90 and see if the solder had taken all the way around? Also, check your water pressure at one of your hose bibs. Also ask a neighbor to see if they have had any problems with water surges. If all else fails, put a digtal thermometer with memory in that location to find the exact temp.

Dave Johnson in Crestview, Florida

72 months ago

Did you ever figure out what caused it, their was some great advice given by Roger and Frank that should have solved the problem for your plumbing fixtures. Let us know how it turned out.

designerplumbingoutlet.com/

Paul D. Hollifield in Lawrenceville, Georgia

70 months ago

If the copper was not insulated it will blow a the weakess place, if it is a joint it may had not been solder all the way, that is not uncommon. I grew up in Florida

captainjk8@hotmail.com in Watsontown, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

the system is probably airlocked and needs to be purged.there should be purge valves close to the boiler.there maybe bleeders where is elbows down togo through the floor on the end of the baseboard. probably the heating system shut down and the elbow froze and broke. try bleeding the air out of the system and make sure that the circulator pump is running.

joe

68 months ago

how does it freeze at 70 degrees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

captainjk8@hotmail.com in Watsontown, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

the system is probably airlocked and needs to be purged.there should be purge valves close to the boiler.there maybe bleeders where is elbows down togo through the floor on the end of the baseboard. probably the heating system shut down and the elbow froze and broke. try bleeding the air out of the system and make sure that the circulator pump is running. a system will not work if there is air in it and the water will not circulate even if the pump is running. is your baseboard getting hot now?

mattscards in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

A couple of things:
First of all if it is 35 degrees out side and the wind chill is 35 below zero it still will not freeze. It has to be 32 minimum. With the heater on, heat rises so even if you missed it by a few degrees this is probably not the case. There are only 2 real possibilities. First, and the one I would look at first is the joint may not have been soldered and blew apart. Sometimes a fitting will not leak if it had a lot of flux and the pipe was tied down and did not move around. If the joint was soldered even a little it probably will not blow apart. In all my years I have never seen that. It will leak before it blows apart.
I can not buy the bad mold at the seam because in order for it to blow apart it would have to be worked at for a while like bending it back and forth. It could do this with high surge lines but it would crack first in the seam and still be together for at least a while before it blew and then you would flood the house before it blows. I could tell just by looking at the fitting but I would say it was left unsoldered. I have seen it a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

das12068@yahoo.com in The Rock, Georgia

42 months ago

did u leave the hose bib connecected? that will let the cooled air freeze and burest' your pipes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

the plumber in Hyde Park, Massachusetts

16 months ago

if there was a small leak of cold air from outside even though the door was shut it would cause the pipe to freeze ( hot water freezes faster than cold water ) when the water freezes it expands and thus the reason for the copper to split or break When the temp. gets above 32 with no wind chill the pipe thaws and consequently your flood

Jeweljohnsonifeanyichukwu in Europe

4 months ago

carry in Anonymous Proxy said: I don't think so it may brake easily. find the reason lest it should break again. did you it install yourself? you should have taken help qualified professional, as i take from tucsonazplumbers.com/

You Have To Tight The Elbow Very Wel Ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.