911 Dispaycher Oral Exam/Interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

LoveMyCommunity

60 months ago

Today I took the oral exam for a dispatcher position in San Francisco. I'm very anxious and was wondering if there is anyone involved in or who knows the hiring process. I answered the questions as best I could, using my common sense but being that I have no previous training I'm not sure if my answers where what the pannel was looking for. Do you know if a) they are looking for a "right" answer or more so looking to see how you respond? and b) how they score the test? is it like you need a 70% out of 100? All the questions where senario (what would you do?)type questions-nothing was aked about my skills or personality, etc so just wondering how much wieght does this have in the hiring process.

Thanks Guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

mickey in New York, New York

53 months ago

LoveMyCommunity said: Today I took the oral exam for a dispatcher position in San Francisco. I'm very anxious and was wondering if there is anyone involved in or who knows the hiring process. I answered the questions as best I could, using my common sense but being that I have no previous training I'm not sure if my answers where what the pannel was looking for. Do you know if a) they are looking for a "right" answer or more so looking to see how you respond? and b) how they score the test? is it like you need a 70% out of 100? All the questions where senario (what would you do?)type questions-nothing was aked about my skills or personality, etc so just wondering how much wieght does this have in the hiring process.

Thanks Guys!

They are looking for no right or wrong answers but how you handle situations under pressure. In other words answer what they want to hear, they looking for the right candiate I rememeber they ask me do I get along with my siblings I said yes, then they ask me if one of my sibling done something bad to me how would i handle that problem I told them I would talk one on one with my brother or sister and try to handle the situation in a civilized manner. Another question they ask how would I handle if my boyfriend cheated on me I told them I would move on with my life, they ask me have I ever been depressed about it I told them no because we decided it is best we go on our seperate lives. See I was careful of how I answered the question don't give them red flags about hiring you, good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jillove in Corona, California

17 months ago

How long after the oral interview does it take to get hired??

My husband just finished the Oral exam on Friday. They told him they would let him know by this week. Was just wondering how much longer for everything else.

Weeks, months?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

14 months ago

So June 18th I have an oral Exam with the city of Miami for a Police Communications Operator. Is there anyone that can give me advice? Or maybe there is a website with a study guide? Any help would be great! I really want to land this job!!! And I really have no clue what an oral exam is lol... HELP HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Hey! did you find any type of study guide?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

cas in Miami, Florida said: Hey! did you find any type of study guide?

I read up on a few things but nothing i can feel confident about

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cas in Florida

14 months ago

Yeah me either, I have the same test for another police department located in Miami area on the 15th

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Mines for North Miami beach.. hope its not for the same one lol..

Cas in Florida

14 months ago

Haha, Mine is for north Miami, we aren't too far lol

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Ive been asking everyone that i know about the exam.. but no one knows exactly. . Everyone just assumes things.. i just gotta hope for the best!

Cas in Florida

14 months ago

Same! Let's just be positive and give it our all :) question, is your typing test separate? my test for the 15th is a written and oral exam which I think takes 2 1/2 hrs then if I pass they'll send me an email to schedule Type test, etc, how is yours ?

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

The e-mail that I've rec'd said just an oral exam that will take 2 1/2 hours. It doesn't say n e thing about a written test. Im going to read it again, just to make sure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cas in Florida

14 months ago

Yeah most likely it's just like mine because my email said oral exam but when I went back to the details of the job application on where I originally applied it states that a written and oral exam will be the first step, I just guess in the email they call it an overall "oral exam" but it is written too, I wonder how that works.. Like if they give us a tape recorder or something and we right down stuff and then they ask us questions and we respond back or something.. Because it's oral so I would assume it involves us speaking. Btw here maybe this can help www.publicsafetytesting.com/informationcenter/info/index/page/test-requirements-dispatch-written/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

That site looks like we might have hit the jackpot! Alot of great info! Im going to print everything out, and study! Thanks alot!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

CS 1425,this is the number of the job title that was in my email. Is yours the same?

Cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Yeah same one, I think that's what the title for dispatchers that are in Florida, not entirely sure. Where is yours taking place? In head quarters?

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

North Miami High School

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Mine too! Lol. But you said yours was for NMB police department right?

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Yeah, so yours is for another department?

Cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Yeah for north miami, not nmb. I guess they use the same place for their tests

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

I just checked the job details and it is for North Miami. I assumed because i live in nmb, thats what it was for! Holy cow! I thought it was only 1 day of testing for all of the candidates (18th), but i guess they are doing multiple days! Thats gonna mean alot of competition then just use 2!

Cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Oh wow! Lol, and darn yeah that does mean a lot of people, i guess when I go I'll tell you how many people show up!

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Are you a female? Werid question, but maybe we can have a study day or something?

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Ok, i emailed u

Cas in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Haven't received it yet

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

When i get to a desk top computer ill try again, im on my phone right now.

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Shannonkeller05@yahoo.com

Ashley in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

the oral exam is them just asking you questions about tense situations and they want to see how you respond .sometimes they use heart rate monitors, sometimes not, depends on your location. my friend knows someone who works for the city and said the north Miami test on the 18th had 289 applicants asked to take the test. good luck

Shay in Miami, Florida

14 months ago

Holy Cow!

lydia in Atlanta, Georgia

4 months ago

hi, i took my exam yesterday for Dekalb County in Georgia. However, i did pass my exam. the min wpm was 30 and i had 45 wpm. They look at all the test you take during the exam. After passing, the instructor took my background investigation booklet (she only took it from the ones who passed), so now they are running a background check. the next step after that is a polygraph then a profile is created, after that the Chief of Police will review and conduct an interview. Once the interview is done then you'll have your piss test and physical. Once that is done you will begin your 16 week training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.