Bankruptcy?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Shelly in San Diego, California

68 months ago

Yes. VERY MUCH SO.

You can have a bankruptcy and pass background but it MUST BE at least 3 to 5 years in your past.
It's much like drug use. As long as it's 5 to 7 years ago, you should have no problem with passing the drug part of a background.
If you did hard drugs (needles, crack, etc.) you will have a REAL problem passing background.
If you have a lot of credit card debt and have carried it for a long time, you will have a problem passing background. If you have paid off all that debt and been in good credit standing for years now - then that's OK.

I know this because my bankruptcy is only a year old and I can't even get an unpaid internship as a Forensic Tech. I've been turned down for the internship and 2 police recruit jobs - -all because of the bankruptcy.

You'll read and be told by background investigators that bankruptcy is not an immediate disqualifier, and it's not, just like drugs are not, but it needs to be a part of your past and 5 years ago is the starting point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

lapd wannabe in Closter, New Jersey

58 months ago

I agree with Shelly that a bankruptcy will have a negative impact on your application of a police officer. However, if you have a legitimate reason for the bankruptcy, police depts. may overlook that if you are strong in other areas and don't have anything else in your past that is suspect. The process is not black and white, and has a lot of subjectivity to it. I'm sure if you have a good educational background a bachelors or even a masters degree, have good work history, and good references why wouldn't they hire you? As far as it being 5 years in your past that would be excessive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

bankrupt in West Warwick, Rhode Island

35 months ago

NOT TRUE

I got on less then a year after bankruptcy EVERYTHING is looked at as a case by case situation.

Good Lukc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

KSLeo in Derby, Kansas

35 months ago

bankrupt in West Warwick, Rhode Island said: NOT TRUE

I got on less then a year after bankruptcy EVERYTHING is looked at as a case by case situation.

Good Lukc

It is illegal for a private employer to use a bankruptcy against you, but LE is another story (not a private entity). We are held to a higher standard and departments look at the whole picture. A bankruptcy alone may not DQ you, but as competitive as this profession is, it will certainly put you at a disadvantage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J-W in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

If you've recently filed bankruptcy, it can hurt your chances of getting a police officer job. However, your chances of getting hired might improve with time. Having bad credit and/or a lot of debt can also hurt your chances of getting a police officer job. Different police departments have different standards and policies, but many people have been disqualified due to having a bad credit history. Some people with bad credit have been hired if they are good candidates otherwise. The reason(s) a candidate has bad credit and/or a lot of debt or filed bankruptcy might be considered. Today, getting police officer jobs can be very competitive. Police departments usually have many qualified applicants for relatively few openings. Police departments can be very selective about who they hire.

Source:
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

canyon country in Canyon Country, California

29 months ago

I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in 1/2011 other than that I have a good driving record, no tickets in the past 10 years, same job for the last 10 years and am a civilian employee of the police dept now. What are my chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

29 months ago

canyon country in Canyon Country, California said: I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in 1/2011 other than that I have a good driving record, no tickets in the past 10 years, same job for the last 10 years and am a civilian employee of the police dept now. What are my chances?

You should be ok but that depends on your department's policy. Generally, the older the bankruptcy, the better your chances. If the bankrupcty is recent, that will be a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Katy, Texas

12 months ago

It shouldn't. My husband is a police officer and we filed bankruptcy because I am now debilitated from several chronic autoimmune diseases. I had to stop working and while we were going through the disability and diagnosis process we got behind on our mortgage so we filed Chapter 13 to save our house. He was asked about it and explained that his wife was sick and became disabled and we were reduced to one income and swamped with medical bills...he was hired on. Just explain your case; in today's economy they should really stop being ignorant to bankruptcies and bad credit when so many people are victims of circumstance.

Also, it is illegal for them to deny you based on bankruptcy OR for anyone to rent to you. Talk to your bankruptcy attorney as ours instructed us if we received any type of discrimination in those regards to contact him immediately!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.