Getting a police officer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Host

How did you get your start doing police officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

rupinder in Brampton, Ontario

98 months ago

I want to know everything about police officer
Do you help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (108) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Mei in Columbus, Ohio

95 months ago

Are there any jobs you can acquire at a police station i.e. secretarial work and such that do not require police training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

daniel leger in Waterbury, Connecticut

94 months ago

i want to be a police officer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Preston Bratcher in Lubbock, Texas

91 months ago

I want to know everything about police officer
Do you help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Razvan Cristolovean in Brasov, Romania

81 months ago

Hi!
I'm a police officer in Romania, Europe. I wonder if I can be a cop in States....do I need any particular conditions?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thank you very much, your reply was really helpful for me....I'm trying now to get my work visa, and maybe, in the future......:). Most of my friends from Sates told me that being a police officer is quite difficult and the salary is low. I wonder if I need to be a citizrn for a job of ranger in US Forrest Service.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Pied Piper in Cumming, Georgia

81 months ago

Razvan,

As far as a park ranger for the U.S. Government you will also have to be a US Citizen. You can follow this link for federal jobs www.usajobs.opm.gov
Search by series as follows:
0025- Park Ranger
0083- Police Officer
1811- Criminal Investigator
If you decide to come to the US and wish to pursue a sworn law enforcement job (armed with arrest powers.) I think you will have to become a citizen first almost every where in America. You may be able to get a job as a jailer or radio dispatcher for a police department and work doing that while you wait for your citizenship.
Since you are in Brasov, I do not know if you would consider moving to Bucharest but the US Embassy is always looking for embassy guards but I think it would be hard to live in Bucharest on what the embassy pays.
I think Brasov is a much nicer city and I have been to both. Anyway the requirements for US police departments vary greatly with some requiring a college degree to other departments requiring no college. Many small police departments only hire people who are already certified police officers in that state. Each state here governs the guide lines to becoming a police officer so the State of Georgia may be different than the State of Wisconsin etc…
Some private security companies are hiring experienced military / police officers who security contracts in Iraq and pay very well. Good Luck on your search…………….

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thank you very, very much. Your reply helped me a lot understanding what I need to become a police officer or park ranger. It seems the most difficult problem is getting an US citizenship. Regarding the studies, this shouldn't be a problem. I graduated The Police Academy and I have a law degree. But beeing a lawyer doesn't seem very interesting to me....it is a quite static job :) and and I like to move a lot. Yes, Brasov is a great....small, but great. I was born here and I cannot say I would be very happy leaving it....To tell you the truth, beeing a police officer in Romania is not so great. The laws are always changing by the politicians interests and I don't have any satisfaction, but I don't want to get in details.
Is interesting I met here, on this site, someone who was in my city. May I ask you what was that occasion? If you agree and consider I don't waste too much of your time, we might chat on yms....let me know :)

Thank you again,

Razvan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SKELLLY in Unalaska, Alaska

79 months ago

HI

In some states you do not have to be a US citizen, you will need to have permanent residency. Alaska, for example only requires permanent residency.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sarahj in Knoxville, Tennessee

77 months ago

Razvan Cristolovean in Brasov, Romania said: Hi!
I'm a police officer in Romania, Europe. I wonder if I can be a cop in States....do I need any particular conditions?
Thanks!

you have to be 20 years us citizen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Smith 06 in Kings Hill, United Kingdom

77 months ago

Wow!

It is good to see so many people taking initiative and giving us a good info on 'Getting a police officer job'. Thank you everyone for sharing useful information.

Many of us dream to become a Police Officer. There are certain requisites to become a Police Officer wherein he or she should start with education. Police departments require a basic high school education, and additional training such as an Associates or Bachelors degree is recommended. A number of colleges offer criminal justice programs for individuals interested in becoming a police officer. Most of these programs involve education in human behavior, legal issues, computer systems, and a variety of other subjects which assist law enforcement officers. The more advanced your training, the more successful your application as a police officer will be. This training will also serve you well in the field.

One should be fit both physically and mentally for which one has to take a physical exam which tests agility, strength, vision, and hearing. If these tests are passed successfully, you will take drug and lie detector tests and began a series of interviews with the police department. If accepted, you will be sent to the police academy, a program which ranges from three months to one year. The police academy will prepare you fully for your job as a police officer. A career as a police officer can be immensely varied and rewarding.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ms.alethia in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

77 months ago

I would like to get into Homicide, where do i look or where do I go or who to contact?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pacifico in Randwick, Australia

75 months ago

hello all my name is rick well like you i am a cop in sydney aust n like you i would love to work in the usa as a cop to get the exp how can hlep me my email is rico.a@live.com.au

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Class of 09!!! in Gainesville, Georgia

74 months ago

Hey!
I just graduted high school, and got into uga. My dad is a cop but he works for the GBI now. I was wondering if I got my Bach, Degree in criminal Justice, if I uld make more than just a high school grad wanting to become a cop? Woudl I get paid more for having my degree??

Also who pays more GSP, or working or a county or city??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

terri.strickland@yahoo.com in Fort Myers, Florida

70 months ago

rupinder in Brampton, Ontario said: I want to know everything about police officer
Do you help me?

my daughter is interested in becoming a juvenile officer can someone please let me know what it would take thk you teresa

NathanNiel in Los Angeles

70 months ago

Hi,

Police recruitment includes testing the candidate's personalities and psychological responses. Thus it is better to be prepared on those aspects. The methodology applied to test may differ but the basic search for a suitable candidate would be on that basis. Police ethical code must be followed by the applicant. A college degree is now preferred in today's police recruitment programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ash in London, United Kingdom

68 months ago

Razvan Cristolovean in Brasov, Romania said: Hi!
Thanks!

hi my brother is a metropolitan police officer and there is a very big need for muti lingual officers in the met as it is severly lacking when you consider how diverse london has become in the last 12 years with an open door immigration policy- it makes it all the more esential .very few met officers even speak school level french german spanish etc - this ability to to communicate in any e european language inc russian if you are over a certain age and a child of the ussr - will opens opportunities. there was a lad from kosovo who was not a star recruits but how many entrants are fluent in Albanian ? your previous policing helps - also look at interpol etc - i would capitalise on the law by doing a part time/ distance learning Masters in Int criminology / law etc - it will propel you - wont be easy but get your English up to scratch and i wish you all the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NathanNiel in Los Angeles

67 months ago

Hi,

I agree with you that candidates with knowledge on several languages are in great demand as they can communicate efficiently with people from european, asian,hispanic backgrounds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas Logan in Lexington, Kentucky

62 months ago

Class of 09!!! in Gainesville, Georgia said: Hey!
I just graduted high school, and got into uga. My dad is a cop but he works for the GBI now. I was wondering if I got my Bach, Degree in criminal Justice, if I uld make more than just a high school grad wanting to become a cop? Woudl I get paid more for having my degree??

Also who pays more GSP, or working or a county or city??

Glad you asked this question. I graduate from high school on June 3rd, 2010 and will soon pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. People I've spoke to about this degree tell me it's a waste of time and money, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE. Becoming a police officer is nothing like applying for an astronaut position with NASA. If you decide to take this route of education, you are pretty much guaranteed a position with some kind of law enforcement agency. As far as the degree helping you with your payroll benefits....police agencies are politics, they are paid by the city to protect the city. When you begin policing for your local PD you will have a greater chance of advancing through the ranks with a college degree, rather than some other officer who applied with a High school diploma or GED. If you're looking for some advice, NETWORK! NETWORK! NETWORK! Apply for your local CPA (Citizen police academy) and schedule a ride-a-long. These will both help you network and get "in" with the superiors, so to speak. Good luck with your journey!

Keep me posted...

Thomas Logan
thomas@thepokerclinic.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Fabo in Stone Mountain, Georgia

59 months ago

I am a Resident of the State of Georgia. I already graduated College. And I want to be a Probation officer, can I become one without being a citizen??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

michael in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Razvan Cristolovean in Brasov, Romania said: Thank you very much, your reply was really helpful for me....I'm trying now to get my work visa, and maybe, in the future......:). Most of my friends from Sates told me that being a police officer is quite difficult and the salary is low. I wonder if I need to be a citizrn for a job of ranger in US Forrest Service.

Hei Razvan,I was born in Brasov and I left Romania when I was very yong. I been a police officer for the last 15 years here in Las Vegas.
You do have to be a US citizen for any jobs with any police department,law enforcement or not. The PD academy it quite difficult all 27 weeks of it.
The salary is not bad at all to be onest with you. The department starting salary $52000 and %4 to %8 increase after that every year, wich is a lot better than most of the jobs.Plus the benefits there actually very god.

I have a friend who is a Park Ranger for the Feds and his pay it a lot lower then any PD Department in the State and any jobs with the Feds all Local goverment that required a background investigation for the job you have to be a US citizen.
Good luck to you Razvan.

cop in Walnut Creek, California

58 months ago

In California,should you be accepted by a police agency, and fit the minimum standards you will have to complete the basic police academy 5 months as deemed by P.O.S.T. www.post.ca.gov

In the county i reside the salary ranges from $70,000 up to $110,000 e.g. city of Richmond.

Hope this helps alswe your question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

midwestcopjobs in Sanborn, Iowa

55 months ago

Midwest Cop Jobs was created to make a central database where all Police and Law Enforcement Jobs in the Midwest could be posted by an agency for a very reasonable price.

www.midwestcopjobs.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

BuckeyeTrent in Ohio

51 months ago

When you know you want to become a police officer it is time to start preparing. I went to school, stayed in shape, and went on ride-alongs.

When you are ready to apply do your homework. Often departmental websites will offer a lot of minimum requirement information, steps to apply, and any openings.

Getting one of the few positions can be competitive. That is why once you make it to the oral board or oral interview it is so important to be prepared. It will 1) give you an advantage over the others who are not and; 2) a good interview will get you past others who may "look better on paper." It is all about the oral board. I used www.lawenforcementts.com as a resource when going through the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Frank Webby in Miami, Florida

48 months ago

These tests definitely need some preparation, at least from my experience most people do not really have a clue what's expected from them.

So, getting a couse like bit.ly/police-exam is highly recommended, at least if you want to apply for a law enforcement job in the US. It isn't rocket science, but good preparation can definitly boost your results.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Minh48 in Kansas City, Kansas

45 months ago

You can expect a long process when you apply. You can expect to go through all these things when you apply. They may not be in this order but you should expect to see all of them in one form or another.

Application
Applicant / Police / Civil Service test
First Contact or Preliminary Interview
Fitness Testing
Pre-Polygraph Examination
Polygraph Test
Police Oral Board Interview / Law Enforcement Oral Board Interview
Background Investigation
Final Interview / Chief's Interview
Psychological Examination
Medical Examination

Taken from www.police-hiring.com (there are some resources there for getting through this process and hunting for a job)

In my experience it was frustrating when you are ready to get started. Stick with it and meet your deadlines. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

guy in Oak Brook, Illinois

44 months ago

Is it a waste of an education to become a police officer, or not? I want to know if I would just be wasting my talents (as my peers say) or it's really something I should go for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KSLeo in Derby, Kansas

44 months ago

guy in Oak Brook, Illinois said: Is it a waste of an education to become a police officer, or not? I want to know if I would just be wasting my talents (as my peers say) or it's really something I should go for.

I'm not sure how to respond to that..
Many officers I know have degrees
As to a waste, if you think serving the public is a waste, then no don't become a cop.
In many ways, you don't choose to be a cop, it chooses you.
You don't become a cop because you can. You become a cop because you can't see doing anything else. It's not about the money and such. It's about the service.

Full Time LEO and wouldn't do anything else. Also a half time college student, instructor, husband and father, and grandfather. Cop for life..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

guy in Oak Brook, Illinois

44 months ago

Ok, I really want to become a police officer, but I was still a little unsure about it. Now you have assured me that it wouldn't be a waste. Thank you.

GSC from miami in Lima, Peru

44 months ago

Hi there , i have been reading via the web pages of many of the police departments of the places i've lived. Many of them , ask for us citizenship ,for the moment i'm a permanent resident. i guess i have to wait. i ' would love to study to become a police officer , but my main concern will be my age , since i'm 26 . is that going to become a mayor problem in my oral test ?
i'have done all my school in lima peru , and also i'have a COMERCIAL PILOT LICENSE ( i' have work 5 years as a copilot OF AN AIRBUS 319 AND 3 MONTHS AS A COPILOT OF THE BOEING 767 300 on LAN PERU )...... I love what i do , okay ? but somthing tells me ..... that I need to do what i always wanted ...... any advice ?
thank you !

GSC

Dolchstoss in Cumming, Georgia

44 months ago

No your age is fine. Even up to 33 to 35 (or 37 for the Feds.) Your age will not be a problem at the vast majority of departments just get your citizenship. I suppose you also speak Spanish which will be a big benefit at most departments.

GSC for miami in lima in Hamilton, Ontario

44 months ago

Dolchstoss in Cumming, Georgia said: No your age is fine. Even up to 33 to 35 (or 37 for the Feds.) Your age will not be a problem at the vast majority of departments just get your citizenship. I suppose you also speak Spanish which will be a big benefit at most departments.

Thank you for your answer ! I guess i should get all the papers for my citizenship done first !
One more question :

If i want to become a highway patrol ... Do i need to follow the same courses or i dont get to choose were i'm going to be assigned ?

Dolchstoss in Cumming, Georgia

44 months ago

GSC for miami in lima in Hamilton, Ontario said: Thank you for your answer ! I guess i should get all the papers for my citizenship done first !
One more question :

If i want to become a highway patrol ... Do i need to follow the same courses or i dont get to choose were i'm going to be assigned ?

If you are trying to go highway patrol or state police all of the states that I know of make you go through their academy. It may be a shorter academy if you are already certified but that would be the exception to the rule. Again most states are going to make you go to the trooper academy even if you are already certified. So if you really want only the highway patrol and only this let the state send you to the academy and pay for it. Good Luck in your search. Get in shape and run too as you will be doing PT at state academies.

Larry.B in Laurel, Mississippi

43 months ago

Hi, I'm a college senior about to graduate with a bachelors in criminal justice. Becoming an officer is all I ever wanted to do. With it being so close to graduation I have no idea on where to start besides filling out an app. I've alwayd heard its hard getting your in foot in the door with law enforcement. Any advice?

Marcello in Matthews, North Carolina

42 months ago

Pretty informed in this area, to become a police office most states require citizenship, or acquired or be able to do in the 3 years time frame, if the state require citizenship all local PD follow the state rule, exception on citizenship rule are alaska (GC) OK high school only ok.... , colorado ok (look colorado springs) GC OK, need some college credits for better even your odds, Illinois (look chicago) GC ok, some college credits required,
Note that colorado springs even let you go with a working permits, but GC is required with time...
another option sign up for the military exemplo air national guard (NC) age limit 40, GC ok, citizenship expedited , no fees, no minimum time, after basic you can apply ....
since is a part time position, you can work was a local police officer, and still doing your part on the military.....
***** I see this remarks on other websites, that no citizenship should work was police officer, no safe for the citizen of this wonderful country, remember you can find non-citizen on nuclear plants, airports, hospital and more...wanna play safe don't go out on the street, live under a rock*****

all non citizen Green card holder's goes to extensive background check like the one most PD applies to hire Police Officer's so all immigrants who have green card and pass those checks, are perfect responsibles adults, and future citizen that can help immprove our Great Nation.....

******* fact 12% the military on Irak this day was immigrants , who going to become citizen for well deserve service, and if they still Gc holder's if they can handle all military equipment , why not a Local PD , and help solve crimes and interect better with the society.

**************GOD BLESS AMERICA********************************************

J-W in Washington, District of Columbia

41 months ago

Requirements and how you get a police officer job varies depending on the state and on the police department. Visit the websites of the police departments that you might want to work for. When they are hiring, follow the instructions, and apply if you meet or exceed their minimum requirements. The more education you have, the better. If you want to get a police officer job, you should get a college degree if you don't already have one. Many police departments require applicants to have college, and many of the departments that don't require applicants to have college prefer them to. Some departments pay their officers more if they have a degree. Having a degree can also help you get promoted. Most departments that require or prefer applicants to have college don't require any particular field of study. There are many good majors for police officers and people that want to become police officers. Accounting, business, communications, computer science, law, and psychology are just some examples.

Source:
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Graz, Austria

41 months ago

I'm from Austria and I'm currently in med-school. Even before I started school and especially in my second year I started to get this strange feeling that there would be something different I am made for instead of being a doctor. Over the years this feeling became much stronger and I realized that I am absolutely fascinated by the work of a police officer. Now I'm 27 years old, about 2,5 years from graduating and something that I read earlier on this site happened to me: I totally lost my motivation of continuing this path because I would love to follow my dream of working in the law enforcement.

Now, my fiancee is American and she'd love to go back to the States (WA) in the case that I really decide to work as a police officer. Here in Austria it wouldn't be a problem for me to get into the academy. But she wants to go back and as I read, it would not be possible in the States as long as I do not have the US citizenship.

Well, I love this country, so it would not be a deal for me to apply for it and become an American. Now I read that we would have to live in the States for 3 years straight in order to be able to get the citizenship ...
I really want to support my fiancee and take this step to go to the States with her, so she can finish her degree there- but I'd like to be able 1) to have a job there 2) that preferably has something to do with law enforcement.
Is there anything I could do in general for 3 years that you know about?

@Marcello: Thanks for your post! It's good to know that we could go somewhere else besides (WA) for a while where I might be able to get a job just with a GC.

Wanted to share my unusual story (and maybe get some ideas?)

Take care!
Robert

american in Monroeville, Pennsylvania

35 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing police officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

not to be a dick, but i wouldnt want a foreiner writing me a ticket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Durban, South Africa

22 months ago

rupinder in Brampton, Ontario said: I want to know everything about police officer
Do you help me?

who did you become a police man tell me because i want be a police

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.