Newport Beach Police Department - Now Hiring

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Keep_on_keepin_on310 in Costa Mesa, California

104 months ago

Hi Jp, I actually went to orientation back in December 2008. Really neat agency and also updating the look! Saw first hand that you guys only work with the newest and only the best!

I am actually looking forward into starting a career as a police officer. Its something that has always stuck with me since I was a kid growing up in the not so best neighborhoods in LA. During the orientation, it open a bunch of new doors for me.

I am at a stand point to find out if the steps that have been laid before me are necessary so it will better serve me in obtaining a good solid image while going through the hiring process. I just have a few questions that I would like to ask but do not know if I should post them here as they are some what personal. Is there is any way I can contact you or any one else in the NBPD that can give me some advise?

Thanks for your help!
Chris

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Visitor in Tustin, California

104 months ago

Hi, I had a question about background check I know most agencies do credit check. I have a recent bankruptcy on my credit but have show great payment history on all accounts after. Will this have an impact on my application or chance of working for NBPD. I have been training for the last three months on my fitness level and stamina. Any pointers? Thanks for your help, from all my research of local agencies NBPD is the best, I would like to eventually become a detective or investigator are these opportunities offered within the department? Last question could relatives work together or spouses?

Reply - Report abuse

KgPhilly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

104 months ago

Hi,

I have been going through the hiring process in philadelphia for the past year now. They are currently on a hold until July and i was wondering if it is possible to apply in Newport even if you are not from the city or state?

Reply - Report abuse

NBPD in Newport Beach, California

104 months ago

KgPhilly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi,

I have been going through the hiring process in philadelphia for the past year now. They are currently on a hold until July and i was wondering if it is possible to apply in Newport even if you are not from the city or state?

Anyone can apply regardless of their location. However, the process is the same whether you are from out of the state of California or not.

Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Visitor in Tustin, California said: Hi, I had a question about background check I know most agencies do credit check. I have a recent bankruptcy on my credit but have show great payment history on all accounts after. Will this have an impact on my application or chance of working for NBPD. I have been training for the last three months on my fitness level and stamina. Any pointers? Thanks for your help, from all my research of local agencies NBPD is the best, I would like to eventually become a detective or investigator are these opportunities offered within the department? Last question could relatives work together or spouses?

Credit is one part of the total picture when the Department considers potential applicants. It will be look at in conjunction with your moral character, work habits, your ability to handle stress and adversity, your interactions with others, and your intellectually based abilities. Of course good credit is better than bad credit. Financial stability can show the applicant’s maturity and accountability.

Check out this weblink for a solid program for academy physical preparation:
www.nbpd.org/jobs/academy_physical_preparation.asp

Reply - Report abuse

KgPhilly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

104 months ago

Do you know how many people they are taking? And when the next test will be

Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California

104 months ago

If I am currently still in college as a Senior, should I start the application process now or wait until June when I graduate? How long should I expect the application process to take (from written test to academy offer)?

Also, what does Newport Beach PD specifically look for in an candidate? I have done some research and I know that NBPD is a very progressive and modern PD with a "tight knit" group, completely opposite of.. depts are LAPD. Does NBPD favor the more educated (degree holders), or military experience, customer service experience, gung-ho fight crime type people?

Based on my research it appears NBPD would be the best fit dept for me to apply for and it's currently my top choice but I still have some questions.

Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

Anonymous in Los Angeles, California said: If I am currently still in college as a Senior, should I start the application process now or wait until June when I graduate? How long should I expect the application process to take (from written test to academy offer)?

Also, what does Newport Beach PD specifically look for in an candidate? I have done some research and I know that NBPD is a very progressive and modern PD with a "tight knit" group, completely opposite of.. depts are LAPD. Does NBPD favor the more educated (degree holders), or military experience, customer service experience, gung-ho fight crime type people?

Based on my research it appears NBPD would be the best fit dept for me to apply for and it's currently my top choice but I still have some questions.

Thank you.

The hiring process from the time an applicant takes the written exam to attending the academy can range from 2 to 5 months. If you anticipate graduating in June, I'd consider testing with the department of your choice in the near future.

Newport is a tight group. I really wouldn't say that the department favors a "type" or a specific mold. However, their standards are high and they expect a lot of their recruits. All the recent recruits do share some commonalities. All were highly driven and motivated. They each were able to show and articulate all the things they have done to reach their goal of becoming a police officer. All had some sort of progressive education. Not necessarily degrees, but continuing education. All, I mean all, were HUMBLE. Do not confuse attitude and ego for confidence and sincerity.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

kevin0042 in Corona, California

102 months ago

hello. i was wondering what time i should show up for the test tomorrow. how early should i get there? thanks!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

johnsta in Provo, Utah

101 months ago

Thanks for the info JP.

I will be going to the May 16th exam date.

What do Newport Beach officers carry as their sidearm? Is there a lis of approved firearms? Thanks for your help.

John

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Riverside, California

100 months ago

Hello,
I am glad I found your post!
I am currently an English teacher, but have a B.A. in criminal justice and experience in community outreach. I thoroughly love my job, but I have also had a strong desire to pursue a career in law enforcement. I have reviewed the Newport Beach PD's home page and have even encouraged my brother to apply (which he did last month). I am very interested in attending the orientation this June and look forward to taking the upcoming written and physical abilities test. Few questions that I have are: 1.) Is the June test the final one for the year? 2.) What are the chances of a female being hired ? (Although I know you are an Equal Opportunity Employer, is there a certain ratio?) 3.) What should I do if I do not know the EXACT dates of part-time jobs I held 5-10 years ago? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cindy

Reply - Report abuse

100 months ago

Cindy in Riverside, California said: Hello,
I am glad I found your post!
I am currently an English teacher, but have a B.A. in criminal justice and experience in community outreach. I thoroughly love my job, but I have also had a strong desire to pursue a career in law enforcement. I have reviewed the Newport Beach PD's home page and have even encouraged my brother to apply (which he did last month). I am very interested in attending the orientation this June and look forward to taking the upcoming written and physical abilities test. Few questions that I have are: 1.) Is the June test the final one for the year? 2.) What are the chances of a female being hired ? (Although I know you are an Equal Opportunity Employer, is there a certain ratio?) 3.) What should I do if I do not know the EXACT dates of part-time jobs I held 5-10 years ago? Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cindy

Hi Cindy,
Let's get to your questions:
1. It looks as though we will be testing in July as well. All the dates will be posted on our website (www.nbpd.org) when they have been confirmed.
2. A good recruit is a good recruit regardless of gender. We are a merit based organization. Your chance of success is good as any other qualified candidate.
3. Do your best to be accurate with the dates.

Regards,
Ofcr Park

Reply - Report abuse

Brittney in Culver City, California

99 months ago

I just did my oral and received a letter that ranked me in the top 20. What does that mean? How many do you normally take for the academy?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Benjamin Brown in Long Beach, California

99 months ago

I am so happy I found this page! I am very interested in applying to the NBPD and plan on attending the July orientation as well as taking the exam July 18th. I was wondering if there is a recommended study guide for the written exam? There are numerous study guides out there for california police exams, and I wanted to know if one was recommended above the others. I am anxious to find out!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Chad in Victorville, California

98 months ago

I am in the Army and am getting out in a year and a half. I know for the CHP it will take about that long for the application process. I see you said that it takes 2-6 months for NBPD, do you guys have any kind of entry deferment program so I could enter the Academy after I get out of the Army?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Tony of Loma Linda in Chino, California

98 months ago

Brittney in Culver City, California said: I just did my oral and received a letter that ranked me in the top 20. What does that mean? How many do you normally take for the academy?

I just did my oral last week and am on the list too (and no, I'm not in the top 20). Sounds like we are on the eligibility list so they are going to start going down the list and start doing backgrounds. I'm hoping the a lot of people will be disqualified in the backgrounds or get on other departments. Either way it's now a waiting game. I suspect they will do anywhere from five to ten backgrounds at a time so you should be hearing from them shortly. Be patient and good luck.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jenlightbody in Chino, California

97 months ago

I'm glad I found this page. I was considering going to the orientation on Aug.11th. I am a good candidate for the job and could go through everything. Only question is, once I go through the academy and get out how is the schedule? I have a kid I would have to drop off at day care but the rest of the day I would be open. Would NBPD be willing to work around that or do I have to be open and willing for any schedule? It's the only thing holding me back from applying. Please get back. Thanks a bunch!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

gleeful

97 months ago

Once you are offered a job which can take up to several months, you are sent to the academy, usually OCSD or rio hondo or the like. Once you are in the academy, you will be dealing with the officers at the academy for 6 months, not the actual officers you would be working with at NBPD. And academy is extremely physically and mentally stressful and you will have to do everything not to get cut. It is not a cake walk. All arrangements for kids, significant offers, jobs, etc. Must be taken care of. For 6 months you will be reporting at 0500 up to late night classes and training, as well as studying all weekend to pass tests to not get kicked out. Hair must be shaved for men and women tied back no longer than shoulder length I believe.

I strongly advise you reconsider applying until you are fully sure and determined to go thru hell to get the job. So to answer your question, no.. you will most likely not be given a chance to work around your schedule. Good luck!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

macnazn in Los Angeles, California

91 months ago

Does anyone know the exact location to the dispatcher test that is occurring on 2/27/2010, Saturday, for the Newport Beach Police Depart.?

Reply - Report abuse

ry in Los Angeles, California

90 months ago

I went through the whole recruit process with Newport Beach (tested on 2/20/10) and now I'm number 25 on the eligibility list. Apparently they have 4 openings right now. Does anyone know what my chances are and how long it may be before I will hear from them?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Reuben in Wildomar, California

89 months ago

Does anyone know the next test date for the nbpd police recruit entrance exam test.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

DispatchIsGoodToo in North Hollywood, California

85 months ago

Hello -
Anyone know what test format NBPD uses for its DISPATCHERS? Got a test coming up, hoping to prepare a little bit. Very familiar with POST testing but they listed a time frame thats way too short for POST. "Criticall"?

Thanks!

Reply - Report abuse

Bernardette in New York

85 months ago

Hey can anyone tell me when applying to become a police officer what does the physical test consist of and also the blood test what illness are they looking for I mean besides drugs are they looking for high blood pressure, hepatitis, HIV or diabetes.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.