Tips for police officer interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming police officer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

kj

86 months ago

Be honest,be prepared to explain what happened, and what you did about it, and how you attempt to live daily based on your morals and values. Don't try to outthink the test. Just answer directly. Listen, everyone makes mistakes. What is important is to own them, show you have learned from them and how you have not made those same mistakes again. Make sure you are living today consistent with a lifestyle that you would hope a LEO would have. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Norton in Jonesboro, Georgia

48 months ago

just answer the questions with common sense. The recriuters know your background so dont try to talk like a cop if u never been one or u will come off as arrogant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BuckeyeTrent in Ohio

46 months ago

You will be asked to describe your qualifications and training. Scenario questions are big. Your problem solving will be judged. I used www.winyourbadge.com the videos and eBook helped...got my letter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jenny ho in New York

44 months ago

BuckeyeTrent in Ohio said: You will be asked to describe your qualifications and training. Scenario questions are big. Your problem solving will be judged. I used www.winyourbadge.com the videos and eBook helped...got my letter.

Dear Buckeye Trent.
I ussually use ebook, but never video yet for preparation interview. I think it's really more effective. A good idea!
Many thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

AJM in Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin

44 months ago

I realize this forum is quite old, but I think input is always good in case someone else stumbles on it as I have.

Be prepared to answer scenario questions and try not to observe what the board members are writing down, that will just throw ur head into a twist as to how your doing. Focus on your answers. Use your problem solving skills to reason through the scenarios using common sense. There will undoubtedly be a question that puts you in a moral dilemma, ussually a question on Community Oriented policing and then a section to describe yourself. The biggest tip I have is to be confident in your answers. Be honest. Remember they are looking for real people, not infallible people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J-W in Washington, District of Columbia

35 months ago

Improve all of your communication skills as much as you can. Practice to improve your interviewing skills. Learn as much as you can about the department and the jurisdiction as you can before the interview. Have a couple of good questions ready to ask your interviewer(s) in case they ask you if you have any questions. Get enough sleep the night before the interview. Eat a healthy breakfast the day of the interview. Make sure you dress appropriately and be well groomed. Try to remain relaxed during the interview. Use good body language and eye contact. Speak clearly. Be sure to thank the interviewers(s).

Source:
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Minh48 in Kansas City, Kansas

31 months ago

The police oral board is the toughest interview on the job market. Preparing for it will give you the advantage against others. Scenario questions give many police applicants trouble. They are certainly the most asked about in these forums. It is a good idea to practice with actual questions so you will be prepared come oral board time.

Actual Police Oral Board Scenario Question:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVYQEo5n5Bw

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.