What are the best police officer qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a police officer? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective police officer?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

jack london in Sierra Vista, Arizona

59 months ago

wondering what need to be cop in today police job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

Matthew in Middletown, Delaware

56 months ago

Matt in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: Hey guys. I had a question I believe you all are qualified to answer. I'm joining the army in June. I have also wanted to work in law enforcement. I wanted to no if I could get a job as an officer. Without a degree. I'm not a very good student and school is very hard for me so I wanted to know if there is a way to achieve my goal without getting a degree. Any help/info would be much appreciated

Matt, DO NOT join the Army. I just got out of the Army. People who are all Gung-Ho Army are brainwashed. If you have a spine, a brain and ideas of how you want your life to be, the Army is NOT for you. you can ONLY be an officer with a degree. and dont believe the recruiter when he says "go active, let the army pay for your college and then do green-to-gold." You must ASK permission to go to college, and they will only let you take 1 class at a time. THEN, if you aren't kissing ass, you can forget about getting a favorable recommendation from your 1st sergeant and commander. The army only views its people as warm bodies to send to the frontlines. Good luck. College is NOT as hard as you think. I BARELY graduated high school on time, but made the deans list every semester in college. dont drink, dont get all wrapped up in chasing girls. Get your education and forget the military.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

deepak in India

56 months ago

sir i want to be a police officer..so plz give me the steps to be a police officers like s.p,d.s.p,a.c.p....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

phuntsok in Woodside, New York

56 months ago

1-does the height matters in law enforecement?
2-when you guys said ASS degree with 60 credit ( is it ok to have business administration degree with 3.7 gpa) i want to use that credit to join in force. is it possible guys??
3-I do smoke but not much, does it matter with this career when taking a health or physical test?
4-what is differences between law enforcement and criminal justice? and where does undercover police falls into? i really need to know this one.
5- if you guys anything else about anything feel free to shoot me here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Tomster in Phoenix, Arizona

53 months ago

Matthew in Middletown, Delaware said: Matt, DO NOT join the Army. I just got out of the Army. People who are all Gung-Ho Army are brainwashed. If you have a spine, a brain and ideas of how you want your life to be, the Army is NOT for you. you can ONLY be an officer with a degree. and dont believe the recruiter when he says "go active, let the army pay for your college and then do green-to-gold." You must ASK permission to go to college, and they will only let you take 1 class at a time. THEN, if you aren't kissing ass, you can forget about getting a favorable recommendation from your 1st sergeant and commander. The army only views its people as warm bodies to send to the frontlines. Good luck. College is NOT as hard as you think. I BARELY graduated high school on time, but made the deans list every semester in college. dont drink, dont get all wrapped up in chasing girls. Get your education and forget the military.

Completely unfounded. Be wary of people who talk down about the military who are "just getting out". They are typically the type that did not do anything with their career due to poor mentor-ship, or just a plain bad attitude. I have been in the Army for 14 years, have my Bachelors Degree AND did it all while on active duty, (part of the time I was deployed!). There is no regulation out there that says that you can ONLY take one class at a time, or that you have to "ask permission". That is completely absurd. Of course you have to take into account your military obligation and attend field exercises, training, etc. Just keep track of your schooling and your training calendar. This isn't a matter of brainwashing. It really just boils down to the type of soldier you are. Matthew in Bolingbrook, join the Army if you wish. It is your drive, and determination that will get you where YOU want to go, not the opinions of a pacifist and nay-sayer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.