getting past many jobs and how to explain them.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

mike in Waseca, Minnesota

70 months ago

i have had 20 jobs since 1998 and was wondering if there is anything i do to get past this in the interview. let me explain, i have been fired from jobs like walmart for defending myself from an assault by two punks, pizza hut for not speeding to get the 30 min. ect., i am an action, get some marine, emt, firefighter, police officer, military police. ive been laid off from my current pd job, budget cuts. how would i explain these. im a hard worker, i love working all hours not just 9-5. i have worked 100 hour weeks and busted my but to get here and it seems that it doesnt matter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guy in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio

70 months ago

honestly, I don't know you... but 20 jobs in 10 years is a definate red flag.

Ask yourself- would you hire a guy if you were in position that average 6 months at a job?

i went through a period of 4 jobs in just over 4 years, and it was hard enough to explain.

The best advice I could give is be honest and sincere, tell them you are looking for stabiliy, and be humble.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dean Suraci in Cornwall, New York

70 months ago

Mike I didn't understand this line you wrote,

i am an action, get some marine, emt, firefighter, police officer, military police

Are these jobs you have also held?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Another Guy in Bloomington, Indiana

70 months ago

Mike, On your resume, list your last job (since you were laid off and not fired) and then list yourself as a self-employed construction contractor for some of those bad-luck years. That should satisfy your next employer when they review your resume. Then, be sure and keep your next job for at least a year. During that year, get your GED, if you haven't already ---OR---- just go signup for the Army, Marines, or Navy ... they will take care of everything else for you. Good luck, man.

Dean_Suraci in Cornwall, New York

70 months ago

Another Guy in Bloomington, Indiana said: Mike, On your resume, list your last job (since you were laid off and not fired) and then list yourself as a self-employed construction contractor for some of those bad-luck years. That should satisfy your next employer when they review your resume. Then, be sure and keep your next job for at least a year. During that year, get your GED, if you haven't already ---OR---- just go signup for the Army, Marines, or Navy ... they will take care of everything else for you. Good luck, man.

Not sure if that could work. They might ask for your tax returns.

Doug in Sumner, Georgia

70 months ago

Mike, If you are really looking to get into police work be very careful with your responses on applications. Most departments give polygraphs as part of the hiring process. Also most departments that run you through the academy will spend approx. $10,000 or more just to get you "certified". They don't want to waste their time if you stay only 6 months... offer to sign an employment contract to protect them (the hiring agency).

jack duffy in Bradford, United Kingdom

58 months ago

im 14 and wondering what qualification i will need for being police officer?
it a dream job in my eyes i love the action!
any comments would help thanks

Sam Benns in maimi, Florida

50 months ago

20 jobs that's a lot for anyone. I suggest that you go and download the top 100 most commonly asked police interview questions and answers at www.policeoralboardinterviewsecrets.com. The list covers just about anything. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

J-W in Washington, District of Columbia

30 months ago

That is a lot of jobs for that amount of time. You have to list all your jobs, and explain the times you've been fired, quit without notice, or left on bad terms the best you can. Be honest. If you are not honest, you risk not getting hired. If you intentionally omit something, you risk not getting hired.

Source:
www.peaceofficerjobs.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.