Where is a great place for a position for a police officer in Illinois?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Dan Madigan in Oak Park, Illinois

40 months ago

I am a recent graduate of a university with a bachelors degree in criminal social justice. Living in Illinois, it has been increasingly difficult to get a position as a police officer when these departments are only hiring one or two people. What does it take to get into a police academy? Moreover what does it take to get a chance to show that I love this job and have the opportunity to start my career? Any advice would be fantastic to help start my career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

GuyFawkes in Dekalb, Illinois

39 months ago

It can be a very frustrating process. It took me at least 18 months and applications to at least 8 departments in three differen states. First and foremost, you have to be able to leave where ever you feel is home if you really want this job. I'm not saying that you won't be able to get a job in your area, but if you really want this, then it doesn't hurt to be able to move. Secondly, show a genuine intrest in the department you are applying for. When it comes time to do interviews, it doesn't hurt to be able to say that you have already done a ride a long or done some research into the department. Interview boards love when you bring up their accolades and how what different departments there are within the department. It shows that you are intrested in the position. Finally, it never hurts to work somewhere part-time if possible. It will give you road time and that will help you out a little as well. Hope this has been helpful and good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TrentLEO in Ohio

38 months ago

Competition for police jobs has increased. It comes down to the interview, the police oral board. This is where you will have a chance to impress the department. Quite often it all comes down to the oral board and who did well in there.

I suggest the police oral board interview videos and companion ebook with oral board questions and answers - www.winyourbadge.com

Good luck - TS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.