What are typical postdoctoral research associate salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Martinsville, Virginia

72 months ago

from $38K to 45K depends on which lab you are working and your qualifications

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Presto in Arlington, Virginia

43 months ago

It can be 45-50K in Texas, 60-65K in DC, 60K in New Mexico. Please do negotiate the salary and do not be shy. I cannot emphasize this enough because I know that many new PhD graduates still behave like fresh students when applying for a job. Be sure to talk to your prospective employer and PI and clarify their expectation of you: work schedule,how many overtime hours they expect you to work, what your responsibilities are, what projects you would be working on etc. As postdoc positions typically are not eligible for overtime pay, negotiating work schedule before hand is a way to ensure your fair share of work with respect to the salary and to protect your personal life. You can do this after receiving an offer.

Try to find out as much as possible about the PI TRUE research expertise and interests, and how supportive he/she is. You can use all tools like the Internet, former graduates and employees, and other sources. I emphasize the word "true". Based on my friends' and my own experience, the appearance of the lab and the PI on their website can be very different from reality. The most important thing is that you stop thinking about postdoc positions as the only kind of job for newly PhD graduates. Think about yourself as a bright, energetic, creative PhD with considerable expertise in the field (5-6 years research should result in this) who deserves respect, fair pay, and fair treatment in all aspects. Despite the economic hard time, do not take or stay in any position you find not favorable for you. Go search for a different position: academia, industry, commercial... anywhere. You sure will find one good job. Do not just limit yourself to some postdoc positions. Work hard as you always do, but also learn to negotiate, quantify your contributions and present those at the right time to increase you chance of getting promotion and salary increase.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Presto in Arlington, Virginia

43 months ago

It can be 45-50K in Texas, 60-65K in DC, 60K in New Mexico. Please do negotiate the salary and do not be shy. I cannot emphasize this enough because I know that many new PhD graduates still behave like fresh students when applying for a job. Be sure to talk to your prospective employer and PI and clarify their expectation of you: work schedule, how many overtime hours they expect you to work, what your responsibilities are, what projects you would be working on etc. As postdoc positions typically are not eligible for overtime pay, negotiating work schedule before hand is a way to ensure your fair share of work with respect to the salary and to protect your personal life. You can do this after receiving an offer.

Try to find out as much as possible about the PI TRUE research expertise and interests, and how supportive he/she is. You can use all tools like the Internet, former graduates and employees, and other sources. I emphasize the word "true". Based on my friends' and my own experience, the appearance of the lab and the PI on their website can be very different from reality. The most important thing is that you stop thinking about postdoc positions as the only kind of job for newly PhD graduates. Think about yourself as a bright, energetic, creative PhD with considerable expertise in the field (5-6 years research should result in this) who deserves respect, fair pay, and fair treatment in all aspects. Despite the economic hard time, do not take or stay in any position you find not favorable for you. Go search for a different position: academia, industry, commercial... anywhere. You sure will find one good job. Do not just limit yourself to some postdoc positions. Work hard as you always do, but also learn to negotiate, quantify your contributions and present those at the right time to increase you chance of getting promotion and salary increase.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.