Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

How did you get your start doing premium auditor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

John Jenkins in Clayton, North Carolina

90 months ago

I grew up around this stuff my whole life. Sounds exciting,huh? It just felt natural to start working in it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

RVP in Sun City, Arizona

70 months ago

I answered a want ad in the paper; got hired and was trained on the job. Most places will train you on the job if you have no experience. I really like it and will continue in this field. My background was administrative insurance and got a degree in general business. But I think if you're good with people and numbers, you'll do fine in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Indy in Charlotte, North Carolina

70 months ago

John Jenkins in Clayton, North Carolina said: I grew up around this stuff my whole life. Sounds exciting,huh? It just felt natural to start working in it.

How John; Do you mind if we talk offline? I have an insurance background & want to change focus in the Premium Auditing arena but need some feedback from an experienced auditor.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marion collins in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing premium auditor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Having now spent 33+ years as a premium auditor, most with major carriers, it seems to me that almost every auditor I have known stumbled into the field in one way or another. For me, after college graduation, I was having trouble finding a first job; and, a college friend who was then working for an independent premium audit company suggested coming down and filling out an application stating 'we're always hiring'. I did, they did, and here I am over 3 decades later doing the same old bean counting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ray in Mount Vernon, Illinois

61 months ago

You have been a premium auditor for 33 years. I have been one for about 6 years now. How has your pay increased over your career. Have you branched off into inspections? Thanks

marion collins in Houston, Texas said: Having now spent 33+ years as a premium auditor, most with major carriers, it seems to me that almost every auditor I have known stumbled into the field in one way or another. For me, after college graduation, I was having trouble finding a first job; and, a college friend who was then working for an independent premium audit company suggested coming down and filling out an application stating 'we're always hiring'. I did, they did, and here I am over 3 decades later doing the same old bean counting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marion collins in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

ray in Mount Vernon, Illinois said: You have been a premium auditor for 33 years. I have been one for about 6 years now. How has your pay increased over your career. Have you branched off into inspections? Thanks

Starting with an independent service company is where you have multi-disciplines of audits and inspection work. Carriers are generally discipline specific. You become an auditor and an auditor is what you are.

Insurance companies pay increases typically would be fine if you were a transit worker. On the average, 2-3% per year increase is all you can hope for. I've heard it said that the only way to really get ahead is go to work for a company for 5 or so years, switch companies asking for a sizeable increase for 5 years or so, and so forth. However, with the changes in the P&C industry over the past years, this strategy seems questionable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ray in Mount Vernon, Illinois

59 months ago

You seen any auditors making over 100K a year. I crank out about 7-8 audits a day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marion collins in Houston, Texas

59 months ago

ray in Mount Vernon, Illinois said: You seen any auditors making over 100K a year. I crank out about 7-8 audits a day.

No one within an insurance company would discuss salaries, it is a firing offense. There are published pay ranges; and, although I am a highly ranked auditor, my pay has not kept up with the ever increasng published pay range. Even so, I don't complain. I've always lived comfortably within my means.

If you make that kind of money, stick with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amystik in Matthews, North Carolina

56 months ago

marion collins in Houston, Texas said: No one within an insurance company would discuss salaries, it is a firing offense. There are published pay ranges; and, although I am a highly ranked auditor, my pay has not kept up with the ever increasng published pay range. Even so, I don't complain. I've always lived comfortably within my means.

If you make that kind of money, stick with it.

Marion - Do you mind if we talk offline about this?

Thanks,
Indy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marion collins in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Amystik in Matthews, North Carolina said: Marion - Do you mind if we talk offline about this?

Thanks,
Indy

send me an email

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amystik in Matthews, North Carolina

55 months ago

marion collins in Houston, Texas said: send me an email

Hi Marion - Please advise how do I send you an email from this forum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marion collins in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Amystik in Matthews, North Carolina said: Hi Marion - Please advise how do I send you an email from this forum?

try : spanishwizard@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.