Getting a preschool teacher job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Host

How did you get your start doing preschool teacher work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

desiree mcnamara in Modesto, California

92 months ago

i have always been interested in getting a pre school job but what do you exactly need education wise?? i owul like help and feed back on this career

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Sheila in Los Angeles, California

89 months ago

I am considering going back to school as a preschool teacher. I am a single mother of a 3 year old and worry if the salary will get us by. I would love to do it. How should I get started and how many credits do I need without wasting time?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Carline Perrier

88 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing preschool teacher work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Yes! you need to go in to a University/College and major in Early childhood Education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Carline Perrier

88 months ago

Sheila in Los Angeles, California said: I am considering going back to school as a preschool teacher. I am a single mother of a 3 year old and worry if the salary will get us by. I would love to do it. How should I get started and how many credits do I need without wasting time?
Thanks!

Teaching is a heart job, not money. You must be able to love deversity if not you'll get lost.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jenchast in Michigan

83 months ago

Sheila in Los Angeles, California said: I am considering going back to school as a preschool teacher. I am a single mother of a 3 year old and worry if the salary will get us by. I would love to do it. How should I get started and how many credits do I need without wasting time?
Thanks!

NO I'm am in a similar position unless you go for a BA you will not get more than $10 that the high pay for a teacher job I wish you the best I've had to go back to school for a job in health care because of the pay rate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Christina in Holden, Massachusetts

72 months ago

You may be better off looking into working as a public school paraprofessional. The pay scales tend to be higher, often the school system has great benefits and will help pay for your education/classes. Also the hours are nice to allow you to be with your kids when not in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly Brannon in savannah, Georgia

68 months ago

I am so excited to be going to college to earn a b.s. degree in early education. I need information about communication skills and technologies used by preschool teachers for a research paper I am working on.Thank you!! Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dwaunemoore in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing preschool teacher work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I was going to school taking Child Developmet classes, and my professor end up hiring me at her site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emma in Christchurch, New Zealand

58 months ago

hi im emma from new zealand how long do you need to go to uni for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emma in Christchurch, New Zealand

58 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing preschool teacher work, f*** off
and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

ccool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vicque fassinger in Cleveland, Ohio

58 months ago

Sheila in Los Angeles, California said: I am considering going back to school as a preschool teacher. I am a single mother of a 3 year old and worry if the salary will get us by. I would love to do it. How should I get started and how many credits do I need without wasting time?
Thanks!

While lots of preschools might hire you to help out for a minimum hourly wage (and allow you to bring your 3-year-old), the more education you have in your back pocket, the better off you will be (as always). I would recommend working at a preschool part-time for the hands-on experience and, if you can, take a class per quarter (or semester) toward a degree in that field. It's a lot to ask of ourselves - to work AND go to school AND raise a happy child - but the time goes by anyway and before you know it, you have a degree, a great job, and a joy-filled child! I have a relative who owns a preschool. THAT is where the money is in that field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Taylor P in Salt Lake CIty, Utah

55 months ago

Preschool teachers play an important role in a child’s development and lay the foundation for their success in school. They need to demonstrate patience, creativity, an understanding or awareness of different cultures, besides a passion to work with children. If you want to become a preschool teacher, it helps to earn an early childhood education degree as employment opportunities are best for those who have a college degree. My friend told me about the early childhood education degree ( www.independence.edu/early-childhood-education-degree.php ) offered by Independence University and I am wondering if I should take the plunge and join the course

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

G.W. in Sacramento, California

46 months ago

It depends on where you live, especially with regard to pay. That being said, it also depends on how much education you have. You'll make more and have more opportunities if you have an AA in ECE. I'm about to be awareded my BA in Child Devlopment and I will have many options. With a BA I will be able to start at 15.00 and hour, possibly more and it will increase with time. I have friends who make 25.00 an hour. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in California

45 months ago

G.W. in Sacramento, California said: It depends on where you live, especially with regard to pay. That being said, it also depends on how much education you have. You'll make more and have more opportunities if you have an AA in ECE. I'm about to be awareded my BA in Child Devlopment and I will have many options. With a BA I will be able to start at 15.00 and hour, possibly more and it will increase with time. I have friends who make 25.00 an hour. I hope this helps.

I live in California too and was thinking about this same thing. Does it matter whether you have a B.A. in Child Development or Early Childhood Education? Are these too the same or different?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

G.W. in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

You have more options w/ a B.A. in Child Dev. because you study children of all ages, so if you wanted to work in after-school program you could. You could also go into counseling, social work, etc. The B.A. in ECE will only allow you to work w/ very young children. If you have a choice do the CHDV major because you'll have way more options. I have an A.A. in Liberal Arts & an A.A. in ECE but the B.A. will afford me the most opportunities. Feel free to ask me any questions, I know how confusing it can be when you're trying to figure out what the best academic direction is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Learning Something New Everyday in California

45 months ago

G.W. in Sacramento, California said: You have more options w/ a B.A. in Child Dev. because you study children of all ages, so if you wanted to work in after-school program you could. You could also go into counseling, social work, etc. The B.A. in ECE will only allow you to work w/ very young children. If you have a choice do the CHDV major because you'll have way more options. I have an A.A. in Liberal Arts & an A.A. in ECE but the B.A. will afford me the most opportunities. Feel free to ask me any questions, I know how confusing it can be when you're trying to figure out what the best academic direction is.

Thank you so much for the advice! I was also looking into social work, what do you think about do this as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.