separation and adjusting to preschool

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

janice in Hilo, Hawaii

92 months ago

I would like opinions from other teachers on separation. I work with 2 year olds. When a child cries throughout the day (off and on) do you think it does more harm than good for the individual child and the rest of the classroom? How long would you let this continue and what would you do about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jenchast in Michigan

89 months ago

have you tried letting the child have a pic of his mom and/or dad
also dose the child see the parent leave the building works well even thought they cry a bit more at first also make sure that mom/dad gives him hugs kiss a promise to come back at ?? time of day then leaves right away no hanging about no dissapering no coming back because he's crying

also try to pin the parent down to a time of day they will come get him such as after outside time in the pm so that you can tell this to the child example "mom will be here while we are outside this afternoon that after nap" and so on
it is hard on both the child and it can be hard on the group if it is very load
try having the same person take him in the morning that might help with a bound have that person spend a week offering a little more cuddle time and one on one
with him then slowly let him explore from her

Christina in Holden, Massachusetts

78 months ago

Does the child show any signs of autism or adjustment disorder? this may be something that will take much longer if there is a possibility of special needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

felicia in Dothan, Alabama

77 months ago

janice in Hilo, Hawaii said: I would like opinions from other teachers on separation. I work with 2 year olds. When a child cries throughout the day (off and on) do you think it does more harm than good for the individual child and the rest of the classroom? How long would you let this continue and what would you do about it?

First allow the child to see you and mom communicate about 5 min the few days.Mom might want to pick an adjustment time when she can stay the first few days. Mom should tell the child where they are going. Caregive should talk to child and say I want you to come in and let's play till mom gets back, Mom should assure child "Im coming back and use consistent pick up time, if possible and that should help. 2 weeks of assurance and routine should kick in by then.Caregiver should comment child when he/she calms down and say I like it when you are not crying and its okay to cry but no screaming.

Charlisa in Winston Salem, North Carolina

76 months ago

I am a preschool teacher and what I try to do for young childrenthat are adjusting is to have an activity readt for them when they enter the class. Maybe a painting project or cut and paste activities or the water table. Something to keep them occupied. I do think until they are completely adjusted they might cry some through out the day. I reassure the child that the parent is coming back and they and I dont want them to be upset.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie Grice in Augusta, Georgia

76 months ago

janice in Hilo, Hawaii said: I would like opinions from other teachers on separation. I work with 2 year olds. When a child cries throughout the day (off and on) do you think it does more harm than good for the individual child and the rest of the classroom? How long would you let this continue and what would you do about it?

When a child cries all day, it's just a period of adjustment that he/she has to go through. You have to continue to let the child know that his/her parent(s)are and will come back for him. Have a picture of the parent(s) in the childs cubby or pocket so the child can use it when they need to. Don't allow the parent to sneak out after bringing the child to class. Try encouraging the child to help you with something in the room. The child has to trust you and the environment and peers as well as feel comfortable in the class. Maybe let the child bring a favorite toy or book to class. You should continue to talk to the child, encourage play with other children, let the child explore the environment as long as he/she needs to. Just by the child watching what you and the other children do will eventually get that child to settle down. It takes love,time and alot of patience to work with a crying child and one that's cries all day every day. It will end eventually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie Small in Mahwah, New Jersey

75 months ago

My experience with 2 year old children is to get the child involved with something he might like immediately when he enters the classroom. Do not allow the parent to linger, which is natural. Tell the parent she/he can call you during your break time.
I have created little songs of a few words to sing to the child when he/she continue to be upset. I have also set up the chairs so they form a choo-choo train and tell each child as they enter to get abord the train is leaving the station and we are going on a trip. This works wonders and the children look forward to a diffent trip each day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Janice in Hilo, Hawaii

75 months ago

Thanks! I like that train idea.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.