Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing press operator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Billy in Medina, New York

54 months ago

I began my career in press operation (printing industry) from formal training in college. Before that, the only experience I had was from a 10th grade shop class, which I got dismissed from for horsing around w/ a friend. Not until my college experience did I understand just how vast the printing industry was. Since then (1973), I've remained in the industry and expanded my field of knowledge as many other's do; by getting experience where and when I could. I discovered early on, that not many people care to share their experience with those who don't have any (unless their getting paid to do so!) So, with that in mind, I ventured out to get the experience where I could. Remember this, once you have it, no one can take it from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

fab5too

47 months ago

getting in the printing industry is not hard,,i satrted as floor boy..depends on your timetable..if you want to be a press operator then go to school like ITT,,if you have time and are young then you can start as a feeder and if your pressman is nice he will teach you everything theres to know about the press you both are running..its an awesome trade pays great and if you are smart you can grow your porfolio for retirement...hope this help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.