Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming pricing analyst interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Matt Ryan in Chicago, Illinois

91 months ago

hello?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Viola, Idaho

90 months ago

I'm interested also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Zandile in Tembisa, South Africa

90 months ago

I'm going for an interview soon i don't know what to prepare. Please give all the information i need to know.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Jones in Tewksbury, Massachusetts

82 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming pricing analyst interview?

Be ready to talk about your ability working cross-functionally, data analysis skills, ability to handle multiple simultaneous projects, and experience with working with IT, finance and senior execs.

Go the professional pricing society and look at job postings to see typical roles, take a free webinar there. Go to the various pricing consultancy and software vendor sites, and get free articles on pricing concepts.

Try to know some of the various areas of possible pricing work (setting prices? Managing price lists? Market research on competitors products/prices? new product pricing? Analyzing discounting and price performance and profitability? Creating scenarios/models for picking best price? Customer segmentation? Pricing guidance for sales reps with pricing discretion? Implementing a pricing IT system?)

Know where you have transferable experience (e.g. working with sales people, new product development, ERP and reporting systems, excel pivot table whiz, marketing concepts, project management, etc)

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Try to find out at beginning of interview what the current big pricing challenges are, and key goals for the role. The Q's you'll be asked will depend on the role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leone in London, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Hi!

I just got offered a job as a pricing analyst at a prestigious airline company! However I am a little nervous about this new profession and feel the need to prepare in advance for what lies ahead. And that's why I would like to know what resource materials(i.e. books) do you recommend that are weighted towards the airline industry. Books which also have a detailed emphasis on price negotiation are also of interest to me?

Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Alexandra in Sydney, Australia

72 months ago

hi leone! just wondering what was your background? I am interested in going into pricing too however only a data analyst at the moment which pretty keying numbers for the actuarists! have u undergone any studies? what type of stoftware does a pricing analyst use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Star Kite in Riga, Latvia

67 months ago

I would also be happy to see any lists of useful books! ?
anyone could help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

karen in Portmore, Jamaica

50 months ago

my boyfriend is a pricing analyst of a crew shiping company i would like to know what is job entales he is always telling me that he is always busy but i dont understand is job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lata in Auckland, New Zealand

46 months ago

Can anyone please advise if there is any specific course for Pricing Analyst?What does the syllabus cover? Is it more of programming? Can you please advise any books / text books which can give the course idea? Can I self study or do some distance course and then give the exam. How is the job market in Asia Pacific?
Would the Certified Pricing Professional (CPP) designation offered by the Pricing Society help?
Or are there any other courses to excel a career in pricing?
I am looking for IT,Telecom or Technology industry?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pricing Guy in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Pricing is still a self learned function there are some books that are out there, but you need to learn what works what does not work specific to you industry.

Doing the CPP route is ok.

Read this book: The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing by Nagle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dav Ryland in Mesa, Arizona

28 months ago

Use Google to find your answers people! 95% of them are out there you just have to look

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha.L in Johannesburg, South Africa

26 months ago

Hi, I have an upcoming interview for a pricing analyst position.
I have never worked in that feild before and would like any/all tips that are available in order to prepare myself for the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.