Starting out...

Comments (2)


How did you get your start doing probation officer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

parole/probation in Midland, Michigan

82 months ago

I work for the Michigan Department of Corrections (MDOC) as a Parole and Probation Agent. We supervise probationers who have been sentenced on either a felony or a high court misdemeanor, and we prepare pre-sentence investigation reports for defendants who have been convicted but have not yet been sentenced. We also supervise parolees who have been sentenced to prison, have served their time, and have now been released back into society as a parolee.

To get into the MDOC as a Parole/Probation Agent you must have a minimum of a bachelors degree. Unless you want to start in Metro Region or Kent County it is necessary that you work in the prison or other MDOC position first as most Agent positions are filled by current MDOC employees. It is especially helpful to have more advanced degrees. Every agent must have a bachelors degree. If you want to set yourself apart from the rest of the applicants, a masters degree helps tremendously. Experience dealing with offenders is a major plus as Agents deal with offenders ranging from those sentenced on Failure to Pay Child Support up to Murder. My best advise is to get experience dealing with offenders before you apply for the job (prison, county jail, group home, juvenile detention center, or probation from another jurisdiction (district court, probate court, etc)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.