Will color blindness prevent me from working as a process operator?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

ptech82 in Slidell, Louisiana

45 months ago

I found out 8 years ago while taking a physical that i was red/green color blind and/or deficient. I passed all but 2 cards on the Ishihara Test (find the number in the dotted circle). Does Anyone know if this will disqualify me from working as a process operator, or any other related field, in any of the big refineries or chemical plants? I graduated with P-tech Degree in 2008 and have yet to get to the point in the hiring process to find out. Any company specific information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

ptech82 in Slidell, Louisiana said: I found out 8 years ago while taking a physical that i was red/green color blind and/or deficient. I passed all but 2 cards on the Ishihara Test (find the number in the dotted circle). Does Anyone know if this will disqualify me from working as a process operator, or any other related field, in any of the big refineries or chemical plants? I graduated with P-tech Degree in 2008 and have yet to get to the point in the hiring process to find out. Any company specific information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do not make it an issue, don't offer the info if not asked. You do not need color vision to be a good operator. I have been a refinery operator for 3 years, and I am color blind. No one ever asked, and it is not important. Knowledge of valves and line-ups more than make up for any deficit of color vision.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

C.J. in Church Point, Louisiana

20 months ago

ptech82 in Slidell, Louisiana said: I found out 8 years ago while taking a physical that i was red/green color blind and/or deficient. I passed all but 2 cards on the Ishihara Test (find the number in the dotted circle). Does Anyone know if this will disqualify me from working as a process operator, or any other related field, in any of the big refineries or chemical plants? I graduated with P-tech Degree in 2008 and have yet to get to the point in the hiring process to find out. Any company specific information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you ever find an operations job? And did your eyesight make a difference?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.