Getting a product designer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing product designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Jeanette in Eastern Iowa in Bellevue, Iowa

69 months ago

I've been trying in vain to find information on this subject. Any advice and know how to simples steps of how to get started would be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Minneapolis, Minnesota

68 months ago

Jeanette in Eastern Iowa in Bellevue, Iowa said: I've been trying in vain to find information on this subject. Any advice and know how to simples steps of how to get started would be much appreciated.

what part of product design are you looking at
what would you like to know
been doing it for 20+ years

Ken in Minneapolis, Minnesota

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing product designer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

what I have learned and seen, it all depends on what you can see
that is, taking a small machine apart and then being able to put it back together, and it works
sound simple, but a lot of people are not able
designing a new product, wether a machine or just a part all depends upon your being able to see what is needed to make the product work, then draw it, redraw, and work it till you think its
ready, then rework it again, build a proto type, test it and redesign if needed
in the beginning its frustrating, and several times things will not seem possible, just look at what has been, you might find support
as for particular education, mine was a design and drafting, then working in the field, some pre-engineering, then working in the field, watching others, looking at how it was done and why
fixing a lot of poor designs, and relying on the basic element you will always need "common sense"

Ben in Huntersville, North Carolina

49 months ago

Jeanette in Eastern Iowa in Bellevue, Iowa said: I've been trying in vain to find information on this subject. Any advice and know how to simples steps of how to get started would be much appreciated.

You need to do to school. No one will hire you without an Industrial design, or engineering degree. You need to intern somewhere to learn the ropes and get familiar with the real process of product design. For info try core77.com. It's an ID playground.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.