What are the best production assistant qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a production assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective production assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Brandon in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

The best training for becoming a production assistant is experience. The problem with this is that you need to get hired as a day player to get experience. The best program (or maybe only program) for training is PA Bootcamp. I went there and it was a great experience. Go to www.pabootcamp.com to find out more. And I don't work for them, so I don't get paid to say that they are good. But if you're in LA, check them out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Brandon..... THANK YOU. This is a much better reply and permitted by P.A. BOOTCAMP STANDARDS. thank you for this one, we appreciate the support, the compliment and the "plug" but.. PLEASE be careful with your other posts. Oh and for all of you potential campers out there, we ARE THE ONLY TRAINING.
-P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

<Edited by Host: contact info removed>

Dear PABootcamp:
I had a really good experience with the camp.
As a newcomer with some experience in the industry, this was very informative.
I traveled just to attend the camp and IT WAS WELL WORTH MY TRIP!
I sincerely appreciate everything. I can hardly wait until I land another job and can toss my newly learned terms to the AD again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

la guy in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

hahahaha PA bootcamp? r u kidding? any bum can be a PA. u r the only school cause no one would pay to learn how to be a PA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

la guy in Los Angeles, California said: hahahaha PA bootcamp? r u kidding? any bum can be a PA. u r the only school cause no one would pay to learn how to be a PA.

WE ARE THE ONLY P.A. BOOTCAMP that gets results! Are you a P.A.? Do you know what a call sheet is? Have YOU ever worked with George Lucas? Will you EVER work with ANYONE you have ever admired, or respected? Send us an email when you are ready to BE A P.A.! ALL of the staff here at P.A. BOOTCAMP have been in the entertainment industry for longer than you have been alive. You are based in LA and as we see it, at 10:am on a Thursday morning, UNEMPLOYED. How's this life plan of yours coming along?! WIth a statement such as "any bum can be a P.A." are you? And IF you are... why are you NOT WORKING, why are you not on set right now? Did you get into trouble because you couldn't retrieve a one liner from the production trailer quick enough? Is it because you REALLY don't know how to read a call sheet? If you are a P.A. in the industry, you should be on a lock up right about now.... GOOD LUCK TO YOU "la guy in los angeles california" who has posted just 29 minutes ago. When you realize that a LOW BUDGET or NO BUDGET show isn't REALLY being a P.A. and you are ready to get on REAL SHOWS like The Office, or Lost, or Fast and Furious 4, or a show that PAYS you. Send us an email. YOU are NOT a P.A. its alright. WE KNOW IT. EVERYONE on this board knows it. You can stop pretending, when you're ready.
-P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (57) Reply - Report abuse

frances in Ontario, California

72 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a production assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective production assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

check out streetlights.com, it is a six week p.a. training course, and its also a non-profit program, which means its free, but only serious people need to apply check it out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

PRODUCTION ASSISTANT BOOTCAMP STAFF in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

Street lights is not for everyone. There are MANY requirements for street lights. They don't prepare you for what you will be expected to know when you get on set. We had several street lights grads on a few of our shows and they caused a lot of problems, struggled throughout the day, were not asked back, and made work harder for the other members of the A.D. team. They were NOT READY. P.A. BOOTCAMP is more main stream and there are NO "requirements" to attend.

www.pabootcamp.com
www.pabootcamp.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Van PA in Vancouver, British Columbia

70 months ago

To Production Assistant Bootcamp Staff, I just wanted to say that I found your comments to be completely unprofessional and petty. Lashing out at an anonymous posting is a complete contradiction in behavior from a company who is supposed to be training people on how to act on set.
As you can probably tell from my location that I'm nowhere near you to use your services, but if I was in the LA area the above posting would completely deter me from ever contacting your organization. If you think about how many people stumble across this page but don't bother to comment, you may have done much more damage to your reputation then you might consider.
And to anyone else who is looking to begin work as a PA, look for Film Industry Orientation Programs in your area, such course can take a weekend and teach standard set protocols, lingo and give a briefing on the different departments. Good sets to start on are independent films, that probably wont pay, or movie of the week sets, where the crews are smaller and are used to helping teach newbies. Gain experience on these smaller productions and build a reputation with local LMs before applying on larger sets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Thank you for such kind and supportive words. Considering where you are (canada) and considering such run away production, your words have fallen upon open ears. Local LM's? You do understand that a person attempting to break into the entertainment industry from ANY WHERE, doesn't know what an LM is right? You have "local LMs" does any one BEGINNING in the business even understand that wording of help that you are trying to give? We are sad to hear that you won't be coming to camp, maybe it is easier to get into the DGC rather than the DGA...
We don't see this as "lashing out" perhaps you do and you are entitled to your opinion, we consider it giving the ABSOLUTE TRUTH to anyone thinking about becoming a P.A. we DO NOT falsely advertise our training NOR do we falsely advertise how the industry works. Production IS EXTREMELY DIFFERENT in canada AND abroad then here in the states. It is in fact NOT TRUE that the best place to start is Low/No budget aka indy world. WE TRAIN these P.A.'s so they DO NOT have to start in the business they have been trying to get into, in the indy world, after training from us.. they end up on Fast And Furious 4 or Iron Man 2... they DO NOT need to start on MOW's or independents.
We DO NOT need to "consider" our reputation. Our campers and their written support speak for themselves.

I would like to thank you for your wealth of information and teachings regarding all things production assistant. With your training and your resources I am now confident that I will find a job and hold it with much greater ease than before. P.A. Bootcamp is the best way to find what an on-set environment is like, as well as an incredible key to resources that can help one find a job a lot faster than your basic online job-finder. I recommend anyone who is serious about becoming a P.A. to take this course, for it will get you kick-started in the right direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

"This isn't a training ground for PA's as much as it is a reality check to anyone who assumed after 4 years of film school training (snicker) that life on an film set is as smooth sailing as teachers told us. I would say the knowledge that I got at this Bootcamp is downright essential to anyone who ever wished to work in this hectic industry. The quite appropriately titled "drill sergeants" give a thorough breakdown of what goes on on the set, what it takes to succeed in being a good member of a crew, and how to establish a long career in this business. Without a doubt a must for anyone who wishes to get their foot in the door. –Josh

PA BOOTCAMP Staff-

Thank you for everything! PA Bootcamp was awesome... There was so much essential info crammed into those two days it was unbelievable. I got hired 2 days later as a day player and it was great to know how to play the part. I told my friend who is a steady working PA about the material you guys covered and he said, "Great! I spend 60 grand on a year at film school to learn how to work on a movie set and you spend a couple hundred for a weekend!"

Anyways, bottom line- if you're thinking about starting out as a PA, you NEED TO GO TO PA BOOTCAMP!! If you get a job at a restaurant, you're boss puts you through a training program... THIS IS THE training program to work as a PRODUCTION ASSISTANT! Thanks again guys!

-Rocco

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Dom in Olympia, Washington

70 months ago

I agree with Van PA's comments. I actually just completed my Masters Degree in Economics from the University of Washington and am moving to L.A. with my finance who is finishing her doctorate in L.A. I want to do something fun and see where it takes me before joining the boring & stuffy corporate job world. I have been a P.A. on several major shoots and am looking at doing this while in L.A. I was researching and stumbled across this site and will NEVER refer or personally attend PA Bootcamp. Their lack of professionalism is overwhelming. A simple comment was made, not even directly at PA Bootcamp and they lashed out in hopes to scare people into thinking PA work is very techincal and one needs training. Business must be solw and therefor they are clearly trying to drum it up...

PA work is difficult and intense in the sense of working long days, being a grunt and disrespected, and being an overall gofer...but if you have a passion for film you will eat it up. The only plus PA Bootcamp could offer is job placement which i didn't see them spewing about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

THANK YOU FOR SUCH SUPPORTIVE WORDS.
We appreciate all commentary from any forums whether it be negative or supportive. Some where down the line when you move to L.A. and find yourself struggling to get an opportunity on set that you deserve, we will be there to assist you with getting your foot in the door.
The P.A. world here in the states is turning the tide... P.A. BOOTCAMP is becoming REQUIRED on many productions, big or small, low budget no budget big budget.. producers and UPM'S are finding our services invaluable and are not hiring many green or political P.A.'s WITHOUT proper P.A. BOOTCAMP training. We wish the very best of luck to you in your search for work when you arrive.

We'll see you at camp.
-P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

VAN & Olympia.... We would like to point out that what you are considering "lashing out" wasn't but for you to know... just for fun, was THIS was the "innocent/anonymous posting". Was this comment was supposed to be supportive to forum readers? In your strong opinion? The only thing P.A. BOOTCAMP did was respond and give faith to those potential P.A.'s out there. This information posted by the "anonymous posting" as you word it, is entirely inaccurate, untrue and for any one who considers becoming a p.a. to not be frightened. There is a strong supportive service that is out there that can help you. www.pabootcamp.com
HERE IS THE COMMENT THAT STARTED IT ALL. Perhaps you agree with this kind of "unprofessional and petty" language in stead? We can think of at least one demographic that would not look kindly upon such disrespecting and degrading wording.

la guy in Los Angeles, California
2 months ago
<Edited by Host: inappropriate language removed>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

We don't want to contradict you in such a public post, Dom in Olympia, Washington BUT... if you knew about physical production you would know that there is no such thing as PLACING ANY P.A. ON ANY SHOW. It would be called politically hiring. The ONLY THING that becomes of being a political hire is that you have frustrated the A.D. team without ever doing anything wrong or right, because you have FORCED a P.A. upon them without allowing them to have their freedom of choice and or their freedom of hire. There is no reason to "spew" as you say for job "placement" when there is NO "PLACEMENT" to be had. If a person gets hired because they are related to someone and the A.D. team HAS TO TAKE THEM ON... it only wastes productions time and money, the A.D. teams time and money and NO ONE likes being put into any situation not knowing what their bosses expect of them on the FIRST day or FIRST chance. NO ONE enjoys feeling dumb, NO ONE enjoys feeling or looking like an idiot without any proper prep while taking on a job that could affect future employment. Burning Bridges is not what ANY p.a. wants to do on their first day. -P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut

70 months ago

This is a forum for people to discuss jobs, industries, companies and such. While we encourage the exchange of ideas and opinions, we ask that you refrain from flaming and making personal attacks. Please help us foster a professional and informative environment for all our users. Thank you! Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Indeed Admin- We THANK YOU and feel relived that you have spoken up. We too would like to help your forums remain professional. We completely agree with your post and would like to thank you once again for speaking up and encouraging OTHERS to refrain from making personal attacks. We will continue to do our supportive part and hope that others will follow your example!!!!!!!!!

We are happy to hear from the Admin of this website!!!!!
-P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

BA in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

70 months ago

Worked on several large scale shoots, movies, tv shows etc.
PA is grunt work, errand boy, you dont have to have technical knowledge. this PA bootcamp sounds like a scam job. Dont be fooled by my location, Ive worked in New York, to South Korea and Milan.
To be a PA, some basic film knowledge helps. And you have to be a hard worker, because the days are long.
but lets be honest, you'll pick it up the first hour on the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

C - the PA in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

I work as a PA in Los Angeles and I can tell you that you do NOT need to pay PA BOOTCAMP for experience you can get elsewhere. Contact the productions you want to join and offer your services. If you are too insecure about doing this then join STREELIGHTS Program since it's free.
After the posts by PA BOOTCAMP, why would you want to join them? Talk about coming on too strong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Yes, contact the productions you want. Question... HOW?
How does one go about that if one has "NO RESOURCES" other than craig's list.
Good Luck to you p.a. in L.A. we are all p.a.'s or we were all ONCE p.a.'s, HERE AT P.A. BOOTCAMP.
Production Assistants make up much of the staff at p.a. bootcamp. So YES it is a freedom of choice. One will not "HAVE TO" come to camp. One will not "have to" pay p.a. bootcamp, but one might, if they have no knowledge of being a p.a.
or have fear of making so many mistakes, UNKNOWINGLY, that they aren't asked back to work.
You may argue all you like. We have VALID points.
BOOTCAMP's come on strong. That is why they are known for the word(s) boot camp! P.A. BOOTCAMP has no "application process" you have to APPLY to be ACCEPTED into the streetlights program.
P.A. Boot Camp is 2 days, 10 hours for the price of $280.00. NONE of the following applies to the P.A. Boot Camp program, with us, you simply sign up, with streetlights there are MANY restrictions, rules, and you must be eligible.
Here is just a piece of how the STREETLIGHTS program works:
The Streetlights Production Assistant Program is a non-profit organization created to promote ethnic diversity. Streetlights provides free training for low-income men and women age 20 and over.
Since it takes approximately 6 weeks (240 hours) of training to receive your certificate of completion, you should have all of your financial obligations covered for the month of academic/in-class training, Starting the application process
MUST BE AT LEAST 20 YEARS OF AGE.
MUST BE LOW INCOME/ECONOMICALLY DISADVANTAGED.
MUST LIVE WITHIN A REASONABLE COMMUTE OF HOLLYWOOD.
MUST HAVE REGISTERED WITH SELECTIVE SERVICE (IF MALE.)
REMEMBER THAT YOUR FIRST STEP IS TO GET YOUR LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION IN. ONCE WE RECEIVE THAT WE CAN SEND YOU AN APPLICATION. BE SURE TO ENCLOSE YOUR ADDRESS WITH YOUR LETTER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Working PA in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

"how"?
You pick up the Hollywood Reporter when they print the Production listings or any of the other trade papers. Don't act like it's impossible to know this or do this.

Real advice:
Anyone who wants to be a PA can do it by themselves and do NOT need to pay a company. Pick up HR or Variety and call.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Well Good. We look forward to seeing you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

NK in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

Does anyone know of any PA classes or bootcamps I could attend in Philadadelphia?? I figured I'd get some experience in Philly before I head out to LA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

In Philly. So Sorry, no. We don't know of any out there. Michigan, New York, La, Texas, there are training places, but sorry not Philly. Maybe someone else here knows of one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Staying away from Bootcamp in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

PA Bootcamp Staff is scary.

Going after other posters, who are actually trying to help the starter of this tread, can't be good for business. Your selling methods need to be looked at again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

thank you kindly. The p.a. bootcamp staff is made up of more than one member. If this forum board was posted on by someone in the staff that expresses their own opinion we do not feel that business should suffer for it.

having a log in name of "staying away from pa bootcamp in los angeles" seems to this staff member as a strong, hateful, harmful, threatening, and unreasonable response no matter what previous postings have been written. We have been on this tread for a while. helping people is what we do, if you would like to continue attacking us we will gracefully and professionally receive your posts. SCARY is not quite the word that this staffer would use to describe our company and their services. I would say, strong, confident, militant and helpful maybe but not SCARY.

To each his or her own. Freedom of speech is alive and well in us all. We won't be looking at our methods again, but we thank you for your advice. We appreciate the compliment. Business for p.a. bootcamp IS going quite well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

studio worker in Burbank, California

69 months ago

P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF in Los Angeles, California said: WE ARE THE ONLY P.A. BOOTCAMP that gets results! Are you a P.A.? Do you know what a call sheet is? Have YOU ever worked with George Lucas? Will you EVER work with ANYONE you have ever admired, or respected? Send us an email when you are ready to BE A P.A.! ALL of the staff here at P.A. BOOTCAMP have been in the entertainment industry for longer than you have been alive. You are based in LA and as we see it, at 10:am on a Thursday morning, UNEMPLOYED. How's this life plan of yours coming along?! WIth a statement such as "any bum can be a P.A." are you? And IF you are... why are you NOT WORKING, why are you not on set right now? Did you get into trouble because you couldn't retrieve a one liner from the production trailer quick enough? Is it because you REALLY don't know how to read a call sheet? If you are a P.A. in the industry, you should be on a lock up right about now.... GOOD LUCK TO YOU "la guy in los angeles california" who has posted just 29 minutes ago. When you realize that a LOW BUDGET or NO BUDGET show isn't REALLY being a P.A. and you are ready to get on REAL SHOWS like The Office, or Lost, or Fast and Furious 4, or a show that PAYS you. Send us an email. YOU are NOT a P.A. its alright. WE KNOW IT. EVERYONE on this board knows it. You can stop pretending, when you're ready.
-P.A. BOOTCAMP STAFF

you guys are incredibly unprofessional. the fact that you guys responded and got your panties in a bunch must be embarassing for your clients. and the dude from la is right. you guys are just leeching money from people trying to get into the industry. seriously sad...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

P.A. BOOTCAMP Staff has NEVER said ANYTHING unprofessional or insulting to anyone. However, you all must be right cause all of your comments are so profound. Our staff isn't fit to share the oxygen in which you breathe. Perhaps you should all retrieve appropriate weapons from your arsenal and have us line up against the firing range targets. We'll have a real mardi gras. We are NOT "leeching" anything from anyone. We are NOT "seriously sad" we are helpful, patient and supportive. NONE of you who have EVER posted on this site have even attended camp, nor do you know what its about. Once you have done so perhaps your comments will THEN carry more weight until then STOP telling us that we are a waste of space. Put your money where your mouth is, or keep your negative comments to yourselves. These disrespectful postings is NOT what this forum is about. You have NO RIGHT slandering us the way you do, unless you have 1st hand experience in who we are or have attended camp YOURSELF!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Working PA in Vancouver, British Columbia

69 months ago

If you could care less about the comments left on this board, why do you keep responding?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Who does what now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Admin in Stamford, Connecticut

69 months ago

Hello Everyone, Please remember that these forums are for educational purposes. It's important that you share your experiences and advice for the good of everyone who visits but engaging in personal disputes does not help. Please try to ignore personal attacks and keep the discussion on track. Thanks! Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

THANK YOU INDEED ADMIN :)

We so very much appreciate your overview-ing.
Thank You Kindly.

-Production Assistant Boot Camp Staff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Lady PA in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

This is for anyone who actually does want to be a PA.

Many people here (me included) got advice from other working PA's on how to start working. Go out and buy the Hollywood Reporter or Variety or even Below the Line. At the end of the newspaper/magazine theres "Production Listings". There you will find phone numbers of Production Companies for that particular film.

Give them a call and say that you are _____ and you were wondering if they have crewed up/hired any PA's yet. They will say yes or no. If YES, then say if you can e-mail or fax your resume to them. If NO, ask them if they mind you sending it to them in case they ended up needed another PA. It won't hurt you to ask. Be very polite.Call as many as you can. Don't get discourage, a lot of people in Hollywood start off like this.

You honestly don't need special training or attend a program, it's grunt work where you have to prove yourself. After a few jobs, you do great in, you will be taken from production to production. That's how I got a lot of jobs. Someone liked my hard work so they kept taking me with them. It's hard but if you love film, you can do it all by yourself. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

PRODUCTION ASSISTANT BOOTCAMP STAFF in Los Angeles & Sacramento, California

68 months ago

You honestly don't need special training or attend a program, it's grunt work where you have to prove yourself. After a few jobs, you do great in, you will be taken from production to production. That's how I got a lot of jobs. Someone liked my hard work so they kept taking me with them. It's hard but if you love film, you can do it all by yourself. Good luck.

Very True. What P.A. BOOTCAMP does is keep you from doing something potentially wrong and not understanding why. A.D.'s are not there to train or guide, they are there to do their job. You ABSOLUTELY can do the trial by fire method. Many people do. Many people don't enjoy getting yelled at, or feeling like they don't know what is going on however and that is what p.a. bootcamp helps with. Along with much much more.

Lady PA in Los Angeles, California said: This is for anyone who actually does want to be a PA.

Many people here (me included) got advice from other working PA's on how to start working. Go out and buy the Hollywood Reporter or Variety or even Below the Line. At the end of the newspaper/magazine theres "Production Listings". There you will find phone numbers of Production Companies for that particular film.

Give them a call and say that you are _____ and you were wondering if they have crewed up/hired any PA's yet. They will say yes or no. If YES, then say if you can e-mail or fax your resume to them. If NO, ask them if they mind you sending it to them in case they ended up needed another PA. It won't hurt you to ask. Be very polite.Call as many as you can. Don't get discourage, a lot of people in Hollywood start off like this.

E

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Dan in Greensburg, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

Can PA Bootcamp guarantee job placement into a PA position immediately after course completion? Does PA Bootcamp know anyone in the industry that can back them up? It seems as though PA Bootcamp is too worried about what other people think of them and not worried enough about what and who they know. I take the approach that if you want it bad enough that more than likely you will take it. If I had any experience in the industry, which I do not, I would comprise a small handbook comprised of terminology, working standards, and personal experience from individuals that have worked their way up the ranks. If I were to criticize PA Bootcamp on one thing it would be to train your staff with a business writing course. The use of CAPS implies anger and that would make PA bootcamp care about these comments. I guess try PA Bootcamp if you have no confidence in yourself and you think you need a course to compensate for something. That is all I have to say about that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thank you Dan, you are kind for taking the time to write, we appreciate all postings, all opinions, we are opened minded and accepting of all who write.
There is NO such thing as guarantee of anything in the entertainment industry, those who are in, know this.
We CAN get work more quickly once you are trained vs trial by fire and not knowing if one will ever get more working on a show.P.A. Bootcamp isn't worried about much, our campers have spoken proudly of how confident THEY feel when coming to camp and getting the doors opened for them with our help, guidance, resources and who we know. We have many small hand books that we give our campers. EVERYONE learns differently, there is no such thing as a ONE WAY education. Not everyone in this world learns best and grasps the idea of what needs to be known just by reading a book. Try p.a. bootcamp if you want to, or not, caps, in our postings, whatever, you can judge how you choose. We at p.a. bootcamp DON'T judge, we help. Our campers KNOW we help, our staff is made up of many different people within the business of all educational backgrounds, and different departments. We encourage anyone who is interested to email us and we'll gladly send more information. We find that many bitter posters are just people too angered by something else, someone else, in their lives. We have done nothing, to cause such hostility from anyone. We know this, our campers know this, our investors and supporters know this, and THAT is enough for us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Why the negative comments aboout Streetlights Production Assistant Program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

We have no negative commentary of street lights. We have worked with street lights grads. They did their job. P.A. Bootcamp covers more, in more detail, and we don't require so much for sign up, but we have nothing negative to say about them or their methods.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

anon in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

Denise in Los Angeles, California said: Why the negative comments aboout Streetlights Production Assistant Program?

Because PA bootcamp is a business, who needs profit, showing how to be a PA.
Steetlights is a free program that shows you how to be a PA. Non Profit.

Those are the real reasons why. Streelights might be taking away some $$. In all honestly, I don't see why anyone would pay to learn to be a PA. You can either learn by yourself, as many people have or you can go into Streelights - it's free.

My experience is that you can do it all by yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

ANYONE can do this by themselves. But is it comfortable for your very first experience to walk in completely unaware of how production works, get yelled at by a potential contact your first day on set, and then worry about whether you will get a second opportunity. It CAN be done, yes.
Is it comfortable, will you feel confident, will you know where to be and when, where not to be and when? Will anyone teach or guide you when you are on set? Will it help you reach your ultimate goal?
That is why we are here. We give you the confidence to feel set ready. We tell you where to be and when. We teach you what not to do and why. We help you achieve your ultimate production goal.
But, yep, anyone can do this on their own and we wish all, the most luck and power to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Ojai, California

67 months ago

"PA Bootcamp" needs to chill on the posts. They have completely diminished the legitimacy of this thread. Threads on a job website are not meant to be means of advertisement.

Indeed Staff Admin, not to sound harsh, but you are doing a horrible job at moderating this thread.

On topic: Intern, get involved, check Craigslist and get involved in some student films. Otherwise, simply start applying to production companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thank You.

Freedom Of Speech. The Bill Of Rights. We appreciate your compliments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

Wow, this site is one big advertisemen. Pretty lame. Thanks for nothing, PABOOTCAMP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Sure thing. We don't run this site, we only post on it.
We have every right to attempt to help others, and others have every right to not agree with us. But for those out there who are looking for help, and support on making their start within the entertainment industry as easy as possible, we are there to help.

Thank You for your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

That Dude in Palmdale, California

67 months ago

really PABooBcamp...
you'll teach us more in 10 hours over 2 days than streetlights can teach us in 250+. Do you listen to yourselves when you type. You contradict everything you say every message you post. the admin must be in bed with the Idiotcamp click this is redic...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

really PABooBcamp...
you'll teach us more in 10 hours over 2 days than streetlights can teach us in 250+

We have, we do, and YES... that is how it works. We can be more of a benefit than streetlights.
and no one here is "in bed" with anyone in our company.
Such adult wording too by the way...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

That Dude in Palmdale, California

67 months ago

Hey...
i don't need to be adult or professional...or use wording as such
i'm not the one running or trying to attract people to my PA training business. how about you learn what a figure of speech really is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse