experience versus degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

kelvin corbett in Nashville, Tennessee

75 months ago

management experience will always help in the production field-- managers are now becoming more coaching and hands on--the typical dinosaur straw boss is out dated--won't make it in the team concept of supervision young supervisors are coming from team oriented backgrounds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Straw Boss in Detroit, Michigan

73 months ago

The problem with the team based concept of management is this: If everyone is responsible, it turns out that no one is responsible. Worked both sides of the equation and personal responsibility works the best in managing people. Younger managers prefer team concept because they are afraid of making mistakes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fred44mag in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

Straw Boss in Detroit, Michigan said: The problem with the team based concept of management is this: If everyone is responsible, it turns out that no one is responsible. Worked both sides of the equation and personal responsibility works the best in managing people. Younger managers prefer team concept because they are afraid of making mistakes.

I certainly agree with your comment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Straw Boss in Farmington, Michigan

72 months ago

Sure, I started a new job and am learning the process...got a couple of 30ish "supervisors" working with me. There was a simple task that had to be accomplished to get the production line back up and running, well they noticed it wasn't part of standard work and had not been assigned to a position so they huddled up with the production manager to rewrite the SOPs to include it...in case it happened again. While they were doing that I saw two workers sitting on a guard rail. I asked if they could finish the task for me. Sure they said, they got it done and I asked the line leader if he could restart now and he said no problem.
All you really have to do is ask people to do their jobs, ain't no "hands on" or "coaching" crapola work better than asking people to do what they are getting paid for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.