How to respond to a salary history question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Recruiter in Durham, North Carolina

93 months ago

Your new employer is preparing an offer letter? So they are about to offer you a job? Have you agreed on a salary or even discussed it?

Personally, I only ask for a salary history when I am not sure what the person is worth, or I am not sure what my client can offer. It helps me, but it also puts me in the driver's seat so to speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda, Fairfax, VA in Alexandria, Virginia

93 months ago

Thanks for your comment. Here is more detail. We never agreed to or discussed salary expectations until now. However, according to the company they are in the process of working out the offer details and they would like to know my salary history. The position is with non profit in NC, it’s a mid level with no supervisory responsibility.
Linda

Recruiter in Durham, North Carolina

92 months ago

Well, you need to figure out what you need to make, to feel comfortable with taking the job, and let them know what that is, without giving a range ("I'm looking for 50-60K" means, "I will work for 50K") or asking to negotiate.

Managers know that if they try to underpay, you will be easy prey for the next employer who recruits you.

It is in your best to avoid giving the history if you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda, Fairfax, VA in Alexandria, Virginia

92 months ago

Thanks very much for your insight, it was very helpful.
Linda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lina, Fairfax, VA in Alexandria, Virginia

92 months ago

I recently accepted a job offer (in writing)and a week after that, another company offered me a position with much higher pay and it will not require a move as I would need to with the first offer. Please advise me with these questions.
A. how should I communicate this news to the other company?
B. should I contact the hiring manager who interviewed me or the HR person who sent me the offer letter?
C. Am I legally liable in anyway since I signed their job offer letter?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlotte in Colorado Springs, Colorado

72 months ago

Are there legal ramifications to backing out of a job offer?

I would like to know.

Thanks

SFA in Denver, Colorado

67 months ago

Linda, Fairfax, VA in Alexandria, Virginia said: An employer is preparing an offer letter and now asking me to submit a salary history. Since I was under paid at my previous job, how do I respond to this question without compromising my chance of getting the job. The job is with a non profit organization in NC.
I appreciate your feedback!
Linda

NEVER provide salary history (unless you want the job so badly that you'll be happy having soem jerk toss you under the rails).

- It's none of their business.
- It shows incredibly bad business sense on your part.
- It shows that you can't manage your way through a tough negotiation.
- None of them will tell you their salary, nor those of your prospective peers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.