Prospective Employers taking advantage of current economic condition

Comments (5)

Lori6 in Citrus Heights, California

69 months ago

I just saw this posting locally and it really ticked me off.
IMMEDIATE NEED:
Experience Bookkeeper/Office Manager- $14/hr to start
5 years of advanced QuickBooks experience
10 years in a bookkeeping role
knowledge of lien releases
knowledge of prevailing wages
Candidate must be a self-starter
Candidate must be able to take the lead, be a problem solver, and
run with projects. Responsibilities: Billing, A/P and A/R, PO's, invoices, waivers, payroll and collections.

I have all of this experience plus more and at my last job was making over 50% more then this hourly wage. I have supervised accounting clerks that made more then this and didn't know a debit from a credit. I have seen this so much since I have been searching for a job. I saw a similar position advertised on Craigslist with pay $12-$15/hr. I'm not desperate enough to apply for these types of positions yet. The fact is that when the economy comes back the people in these types of positions will be out the front door of their employers before they knew what hit them.

Anyone else unemployed and experiencing this problem whatever industry you might be in?
I just felt like venting today.

S E Smith in Aurora, Colorado

69 months ago

Lori6 in Citrus Heights, California said: I just saw this posting locally and it really ticked me off.
IMMEDIATE NEED:
Experience Bookkeeper/Office Manager- $14/hr to start
5 years of advanced QuickBooks experience
10 years in a bookkeeping role
knowledge of lien releases
knowledge of prevailing wages
Candidate must be a self-starter
Candidate must be able to take the lead, be a problem solver, and
run with projects. Responsibilities: Billing, A/P and A/R, PO's, invoices, waivers, payroll and collections.

I have all of this experience plus more and at my last job was making over 50% more then this hourly wage. I have supervised accounting clerks that made more then this and didn't know a debit from a credit. I have seen this so much since I have been searching for a job. I saw a similar position advertised on Craigslist with pay $12-$15/hr. I'm not desperate enough to apply for these types of positions yet. The fact is that when the economy comes back the people in these types of positions will be out the front door of their employers before they knew what hit them.

Anyone else unemployed and experiencing this problem whatever industry you might be in?
I just felt like venting today.

What they don't realize is that they are getting what they pay for. If a company hires someone at 1/2 the salary they are used to...They will do a half job...period. I have a friend that was making pretty nice money at about $70K. she got laid off and had to take a $20K pay cut...Do they really think she will out perform anyone else on the team? Do they really think she will work a bunch of unpaid overtime? Hell NO it just not happening for someone with 5+ years experience.

Broke-and-Worried in East Bay-Nor Cal, California

69 months ago

This is my argument exactly !!!!!

I went on a interview last week, and I told the interivewer that yes, I have never worked in this industry, but the elements and principals is essentially the same (It was for a A/R clerk position, and I have 7-yrs exp in heavy F/C A/R).

I also went on a second interview with a different company, and they still won't tell me the salary range, not a ball park range either. I think they are candidate shopping, trying to save money by paying less, with a person that has expertise in the position.

Tired&Upset in Jersey City, New Jersey

69 months ago

I wish that everyone in a bookkeeping job had decided years ago to band together and form at least some sort of movement to prove to businesses how important we are to a company. Instead we allowed secretaries to relabel themselves executive assistants and command top dollar for scheduling an executive's week. (Ok, ok, they answer the phones too!)

What happened to rewarding the positions that have the most to do with a company making or saving money? The really sad part is that no employer will read this post or be convinced even if they did, but I wish they would consider a point.

Once the money that a company earns comes into the business, how important is it that the money gets deposited, posted as received from the proper customers on time, and paid on time to vendors who are only too quick to cut your company off? How important is it to know how much cash you have at any point to be able to pay for capital improvements? How important is it to know if your sales volume has increased or decreased and what products or services are behind that change? How important is it to know how the company's production/sales/profits/salaries/and comparisons between these factors are changing from month to month, quarter to quarter, and year to year?

I could go on and on but the fact of the matter is that employers don't think about this stuff. They only think short term profits based on lowered salaries. And since Bookkeepers are the scape goat darlings of industry, they will continue to underpay Bookkeepers, while getting more and more full Accountant duties out of us, because society is set up to consider Bookkeepers as less essential to business than secretaries and even janitors.

bob dabalina in Holt, Michigan

51 months ago

S E Smith in Aurora, Colorado said: What they don't realize is that they are getting what they pay for. If a company hires someone at 1/2 the salary they are used to...They will do a half job...period. I have a friend that was making pretty nice money at about $70K. she got laid off and had to take a $20K pay cut...Do they really think she will out perform anyone else on the team? Do they really think she will work a bunch of unpaid overtime? Hell NO it just not happening for someone with 5+ years experience.

exactly! these employers think they will get the same quality work at much less pay. pretty stupid on their part. i will be laid-off pretty soon from what was a great company and pay as well and do not look forward to working for cheap bast**ds. i will do the minimum just to not get fired and always be looking for a better job! in fact, it will be a vacation of sorts since i wont be stressed to outperform others. todays job market is just like being a pro athlete, free agency. to the highest bidder go my services, no loyalty, since they dont show any loyalty as well. the days of the gold watch are over, and these crappy companies think we are too stupid to realize it. they only have to look at how mediocre the work that is being performed,,,enuf said

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.