Looking for Proofreading jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

71 months ago

Hello Coratrinity, You will have the most success finding the job you want by using our search engine. Just type in job title, company, or keyword into the search field at the top of this page and click "Find Jobs". Best of luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pathak

69 months ago

Hi,just happened to read your posting,wanted to tell you about me being in the same boat.Someone nice advised me and i pass it along:DO some per diem i.e. free work like you can volunteer to proofread on www.pgdp.net which is a non profit web organisation trying to ebook every paper book in the world!I enjoy doing it.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Iwanttobeaproofreader in Stamford, Connecticut

66 months ago

I am in the same boat. I was an English Lit. major a few years ago, and I recently decided to become a proofreader. I took a copyediting and proofreading course, and now I am looking to apply my skills, but I am having trouble finding work. I have volunteered my services recently, but I really want to get paid work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

2mom in Pinnacle, North Carolina

63 months ago

Pathak said: Hi,just happened to read your posting,wanted to tell you about me being in the same boat.Someone nice advised me and i pass it along:DO some per diem i.e. free work like you can volunteer to proofread on www.pgdp.net which is a non profit web organisation trying to ebook every paper book in the world!I enjoy doing it.Good luck!

Per diem means per day- pro bono means for free- please don't proof any legal work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Per diem means per job. Court reporters go to a deposition, and hourly rate is per diem. First hour rate and second hour rate.

As a court reporter, when I went on a deposition in the morning, I had my per diem pay for the morning job, and my per diem pay for the afternoon job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Well- you are close. The actual translation from the Latin is:

Per diem is Latin for "per day" or "for each day". It usually refers to the daily rate of any kind of payment. Diem is the Latin word for 'day'- not "job".

So- if you do it free- you aren't doing it on the per day rate- are you?? No- you are doing it "Pro Bono" Latin prō bonō (publicō), for the (public) good : prō, for + bonō, ablative of bonum, the good.] So if you get paid- it is Per Diem. If you volunteer- it is Pro Bono. I am also a Paralegal my dear - and have had a few years of Latin. Ask a Lawyer next time you go to court- they can explain what they call it when they do free legal services for the good of the people. Have a nice day. Lovely to meet you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Thanks for your info. I have no doubt that is what the Latin wording is. I am a paralegal also. I have been in the legal field for 25 years.

I was a court reporter for ten years. We got paid per diem - (first hour rate, then second hour rate).

The next time you see a court reporter, ask them how they get paid. They will tell you per diem (meaning on an hourly rate, first hour, then second hour).

Lovely to meet you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I wasn't doubting how you got paid, Mary. I was discussing Pathak's advice that people volunteer on sites such as the Project Gutenberg site so they can get experience. Pathak said "Someone nice advised me and i pass it along:DO some per diem i.e. free work like you can volunteer to proofread on www.pgdp.net" You inserted yourself in our conversation and bumped your nose. Per diem is not free work. Can we let it rest now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

candice in Newberg, Oregon

37 months ago

a paper and resume with about 44 pages and 15,000 words. Simple task for native English speakers. I just need you to help with grammar mistakes and sentence structure which make it do not sound too Chinese-English. No formatting needed. Thanks!
I am willing to pay you $100 as total. Please send me email or respond this message if you are interested.
candice_zhang@msn.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

candice in Newberg, Oregon

37 months ago

a paper and resume with about 44 pages and 15,000 words. Simple task for native English speakers. I just need you to help with grammar mistakes and sentence structure which make it do not sound too Chinese-English. No formatting needed. Thanks!
I am willing to pay you $100 as total. Please send me email or respond this message if you are interested.
candice_zhang@msn.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.