At least 2 years experience???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Realtor on ice in Littleton, Colorado

63 months ago

I have 14 years experience as a Realtor in Colorado. There are plenty of job postings for property managers BUT they all require 2 year's experience. Give me a break ! If I can deal with all the paperwork relating to being a Realtor than I can certainly learn the property management software and I KNOW how to work with people. We looked for apartments recently, at least 20 complexes and it seems that most of the "property managers" are very young without ANY experience. What am I missing besides hair on my head.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KD in Austin, Texas

62 months ago

As an "older" Property Manager, you have hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that the apartments managers are all young. The apartment industry is fickle in that way. You lose your usefulness as soon as you cease being young, cute and bubbly! Unless you have been in the industry for a number of years and have worked up to a regional position, you should probably look into a different area. I would suggest HOA or commercial management for your experience level and years. HOA is rewarding and challenging, allows your realtor experience to come into play and you will work primarily with educated, professional homeowners. Commercial is another area where age and experience are on your side. Business tenants would prefer to deal with a manager who has some RE knowledge under their belt. Don't let the "2-yrs experience" keep you from applying. The way I look at is, you have 14-yrs of experience.

If you are able to work cheap, let that be your advantage. I broke into commercial management as I aged, by writing letters to the principals of the commercial agencies in my area. I explained that I was a licensed RE agent with 10+ years as a multi-family manager and I was wanted to make a change into their area. I asked for their advice on how to do it and informed them that I was willing to work at $35,000 (about $20,000 less than a rookie manager) for the first 6-12 months while I learned their business. I received 2 interview offers the first week and several others within the month. I landed as an Assistant Manager for a 12 bldg office park with 550,000 sq. ft. After 3 months I was promoted and have been doing this ever since. Hope this was helpful and Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Anne in Glassboro, New Jersey

60 months ago

Realtor on ice in Littleton, Colorado said: I have 14 years experience as a Realtor in Colorado. There are plenty of job postings for property managers BUT they all require 2 year's experience. Give me a break ! If I can deal with all the paperwork relating to being a Realtor than I can certainly learn the property management software and I KNOW how to work with people. We looked for apartments recently, at least 20 complexes and it seems that most of the "property managers" are very young without ANY experience. What am I missing besides hair on my head.

Nothing; just keep trying. You are right, being a realtor gives you a strong background. I went from being a realtor to seventeen years in property management. You will eventually find a job; just repeat most of what you said in this comment.
Mary Anne
New Jersey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.