Condominium Home Owners Associations

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 68)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

No Name in Washington, District of Columbia

78 months ago

Hello All,

Are there any community managers out there who has a board of directors who mirco manages you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

78 months ago

Yep,,.all over the place

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

That is not the only issue here in dc. If you manage apartments do that. If you manage home owners associaitons do that. If you manage condominiums do that. Now I have a new regional manager who manages apartment not condominiums like me. Why should I have to train my boss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Training your manager might lead to another position within the company or with an outside company. It will broaden your area of expertise. Let's say, you are looking for another position - now on your resume you can add "have training background with last company" or words to tha affect. Resentment is there because you are qualified to do his/her position and you feel slighted. That is a common feeling, you are only human. I have trained several people and looking back I felt resentment also. They were hired to do the job then why am I training them? Also, consider the other factor of resentment, money! They are getting paid more than you and you are training. Again, another human feeling. If you feel that resentment is over taking you, step back and rethink your situation.

No Name

78 months ago

Hello,

Thank you for the advise. I appreciate it, it has really made me rethink my position and the way I feel. I will ad the training my resume. Thanks again.

Have a good day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

You are welcome. If you need any further help just post!! Glad to help anytime I can.

chelsea

75 months ago

No Name in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hello All,

Are there any community managers out there who has a board of directors who mirco manages you?

There are hundreds of them in NYC who micro manage - most know nothing of what they are doing but have strong egos and need to control
situations..............they are extremely difficult to deal with and cause tension agmonst themselves, mgmt, contractors,etc. NYC
has alot of stress related courses on how to deal with or not deal with difficult HOA boards.

75 months ago

Way I dealth with them was - ok thenk you I'll look into that or thanks for sharing that idea (or whatever) with me. I'll look into it. It saves times and energy that way and always they walk away happy with the idea you are looking into it. I usually did follow up on all suggestions.

75 months ago

Wow I wish that would work for me. However, my residents want an answer right then and there.

75 months ago

Has any one here ever had to take a caliper test. I just failed on the other day!!!

75 months ago

Residents and the BOD are two different entities. Your posting was about BOD micro management. Residents are entitled to a quick and honest answer. If you do not have that answer or do not know the answer honesty is the best policy - I don't know. BOD want detailed responses which is hard to give them when you yourself do not have a response.

75 months ago

Hello All,

Board of Directors consist of residents of the community. Here on my property residents(not elected to the Board) think they have the right to direct you. I simply let them know if they have a request they must put that request in writing the Board. Additionally, alot of the time honesty is not what a resident wants to hear. But they get if from me anyway. If I don't have a response I will tell them I will get the answer and get back to them.

75 months ago

You have to be honest with residents. I'm happy that you are doing so. If you lie about anything it catches up to you sooner or later. Handling residents is a totally different thing from handling a micro managing BOD. A BOD gives the orders, you follow through and answer questions they have before or after their orders. Residents ask questions and give orders and look into their requests. Some residents feel they "own" you since they are paying "your salary" (that sound familiar?) To some extent you do have to answer to these residents but you can also just say, "I am looking into it, please give me X amount of days and I'll get back to you". This works, I've tried it but you do have to call them back. The BOD makes the rules that you HAVE to follow and they are the ones who actually can fire you". There is a fine line between the two and it's hard to walk sometimes"

75 months ago

I agree with you. But, the Board of Directors are nothing but residents as well, elected by the other residents. But again, you are right, THE RESIDENTS AS WELL AS THE BOARD ARE C R A Z Y

75 months ago

I realize that the BOD are made up of residents. That is why I mentioned you have to walk a fine thin line. But there is a slight difference between the two. One rules the money (BOD) and the other group rules "whatevers" (residents). Resients are just as demanding and while you have to answer to them as well, your first obligation is to the BOD. You might tell the residents, I have talked to the BOD and if you wish please attend the next door meeting so we all might learn and discuss the situation. I told some residents please attend a BOD meeting. It seems extremely simple but I found it worked the best. The residents can't argue with "have you taken this to the BOD?".

75 months ago

Hello,

I agree

75 months ago

Excuse the typo with DOOR instad of BOARD in my posting. Guess brain was dead lol.. Guess "DOOR" meant "see the door use it?" lol...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

No Name in Cabin John, Maryland

74 months ago

Hello,

I know how ya feel. Has any one ever used a project engineer to oversee a project being done on your property?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Noname, No never have had that done where I worked. I worked in several places and no one has ever hired a Project Engineer. Do you work in a place that has the budget for it? If so then go for it!

74 months ago

Good Morning,

I have tried to explain to the board that it very expensive. My regional even tried to explain it, but they won't hear it. They don't listen. I have a few prices to show them, maybe if they see the prices they will change their minds

74 months ago

Sometimes it pays to put it in writing and shove it under their noses. Yes, I totally agree it's very expensive but if they have the purse strings then by all means let them spend the money. If,down the road, they say YOU went over XXX amount of dollars last year/quarter, show them the paperwork.

GSM in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

74 months ago

Associations in the developer turnover process usually have project engineers. I think it is a smart idea. It is highly unlikely that a propertymanager has in-depth knowledge of construction defects or big projects such as concrete restauration, drainage issues etc. Yes it is expensive but depending on the size of the project, it is a smart investment, and absolutely essential in the turnover process.

No Name in Alexandria, Virginia

74 months ago

True

No Name in Alexandria, Virginia

74 months ago

I totally agree.

74 months ago

I assumed you were talking about a Project Manager in genreal, not for a Turn-Over. If it is a big project yes hire someone but for small projects? Do you find it necessary to hire someone? I was only the assistant PM so my knowledge is very limited because my PM wouldn't include me in any dicussions/meetings/decisions. He felt a woman's place is at home cooking and always mentioned that OLD people have nothing better to do but complain, I'm 63 and it was directed at me when I asked a question or questioned why he was doing this or that.

74 months ago

It was not my idea to hire a project manager, it was the stupid board of directors. You know they know everything. Now for the property manager, he just does not want you to learn his job. Take some courses

74 months ago

No Name, I am giving up looking for anything as a PM. Seems I see more and more ads for Admins in the field. Also,found that companies now want the PM to do maintenance. I'm not into wrenches and screwdrivers.

74 months ago

Hello,

You are so right. Boards do expect u to do maintenance. I will call a contractor in a minute.

gsm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

74 months ago

Unemployed I read that ad, it specifies mornings PM duties, afternoon maintenance technician. You'll never see me changing a lightbulb.Incredible they want a property manager and a handyman in one. I am certainly not a handywoman!
And you are right about no ads for PMs, I am still unemployed 2.5 months now. If you come across something please let me know.

74 months ago

GSM, I think there was something in Pembroke Pines area. I don't recall when but check hotjobs.com. I found out two days ago that a big developer in your area or a little further south let go of 25 employees from top to bottom. Some were re-hired at another company of this developer. I didn't work this hard to get my license to use a wrench! If I run across anything down your way I'll post here. Good luck!!

74 months ago

Thanks a lot Unemployed, I appreciate it very much. Was the developer the Related Grp?

74 months ago

Yes, seems this particular developer had an offshoot company in real estate.

74 months ago

They all have their own Real Estate Agencies. Related is one of the biggest developers in SOuth Florida. They sit on this huge inventory of unsold units. They build the Trump Tower in Hollywood Beach.Times are tough for real estate in South Florida. Huge surplus of condos, especially in the downtown Miami area. This will have farreaching consequences.

74 months ago

I think the market is dead for us as property managers. I better get out a "how to" book lol...

74 months ago

Nope, I think the market for property managers in SOuth FLorida is still very strong. Just look at all those condo buildings and for once stupid Tallahassee protects us somewhat you need to have a license. And just what till October comes around and all the snowbird boardmembers will come back. Let's face it, the turnaround of property managers is huge, we have to please a vast variety of egos. ANd sometimes there is just no pleasing no matter what you do.

74 months ago

I have my license. Lots good it is doing. I had a job where I needed to obtain my license to be an PM-Assistant. Then the you know what hit the fan there and I left. Got the license sitting in my desk drawer.

74 months ago

Hey GSM, Check out the homepage of Continental Group. Very interesting reading

74 months ago

Yes very interesting, especially how the website is updated, let's see last update in the news section was in 2007. Oh and client satisfaction retention rate of 97% truly interesting. ANyway, do apply the are not a bad company. If you manage to get the right district manager.

74 months ago

Good Morning,

You are so right. You will not be able to please all the know it all board members. There is a big turnaround in managers in the DC area as well. In Virginia u will have to have at least a CMCA to work. What should the Board members have?

74 months ago

For me it would suffice if the Board had a genuine interest in doing their fiduciary duty towards the association, without letting their huge egos come into play. And please arrive at a decision in one of those endless meetings, provided your manager gave you all the facts and figures. Most Board members actually do have the best interest of the association at heart. And we must not forget that they are volunteers And that the association is their home. In general board members are rather unpopulat within the association no matter how hard they work for the good of the association.
I am currently working on my CMCA designation. Can anyone out there tell me if it is really worthwhile? Does it translate into a higher hireability, more money?

74 months ago

Hello,

I am currently work on getting my CMCA as well. I have been working without a designation for the past 10 years. I have been getting paid very well in the DC area. I am currently at 54,000. I don't know if a designation would matter.

74 months ago

I am giving up on it all. I am nearly 64 so for me to start school or getting a designation isn't worth it. Right now I am thinking of doing consulting in community violations which is my cup of tea. But, then again, I'm considering sitting by the pool lol...

74 months ago

Hello,

I wish I could say the same thing. To many bills to pay, no retirement plan, that part is my fault. Anyway I am 49 designations for what. What is it that the people with designation know that we don't?

74 months ago

No Name, they know no more then we do. They fine tune it more and with the designation, it appears that those who have it are considered more employable. The companies like to see someone is trying to further their expertise in their area.

74 months ago

Unemployed, your post made my day. Hopefully it goes From your mouths to employers' ears.

74 months ago

Hey,

Your right, they do want to see that.

Hopeful PM in Boynton Beach, FL

73 months ago

Unemployed and gsm,

I'm not sure how long it's been since you've both posted here, but any advice for someone looking to break in to PM? What I'd really like to do is get experience in Portfolio Managament, then branch out into my own company doing HOA work. I'd like to stay away from COA's as much as possible, but if that's where the wrok and experience is, so be it. I've applied at Continental and Castle, have inquiries at Seacrest and Prime.

73 months ago

Hi hopeful, good approach to start with a management company. COntinental has probably the most associations. Prime has been bought out by Continental. Please note, if you have never worked as a PM and received your license recently, you might want to consider to use Lisa Pinder as a recruiter. Lisa has special rates for newly licensed managers. By the way, condos are not bad at all :).If you want to do Portfolio, you have a good chance to be hired. But let me tell you, it is a lot of work, instead of one budget you will be dealing with 10 budgets, instead of managing 1 major project, you will be dealing with 3 or 4 major projects. I assume you have your license?

Hopeful PM in Boynton Beach, FL

73 months ago

I've actually had my license for a bit, but got sidetracked working in a job to pay bills until I got a job in PM. But I had talked to Lisa back then. She seemed nice, and had offered me an interview, but I could not work out a time to interview. Time is not a problem right now, but I can't afford her presently. Wish I could-she seemed to know what she was doing.

So for doing this on my own, it seems like I'm going in the right direction. Any other companies I should talk to?

73 months ago

Hopeful PM. You live close to me. Have you tried Castle Management? They are looking for an Assistant PM Wednesday through Sunday. Don't pay money if you don't have to. I can't give you any more info but you can read about it on condospecialties.biz I loved working in a condo. More rules and not wishywashy like HOA's. Good luck! ps by the way I'm still unemployed lol..

GSM how's the new job going?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.