How Do I get Back in THE BIZ

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Aaron in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

I started in Property Management fresh out of college and on my own in New York City (back in the days of free rent.) As I have heard it said for over a decade it gets in your blood. After 11 years with the same company and moving up to Director of Accounting and finaly Regional Director, I changed companies and took a Director position in California.

8 months in I was involved in a head on collision with a drunk driver, after being told I would walk or work again spent the next 4 years having surgeries, rehab and fighting in court.

2 years ago I decided I wanted to try to ease back into the workforce, so I took classes and got a "Seasonal Job" preparing Taxes. 2 weeks later I was offered a year reound management position, and currently supervise 15 locations and 225 staff members. I have a good job, and I am thankful to have it and to be able to do it, but it is not what is in my blood.

I have been trying (since I proved everybody wrong) for the last 9 months to get back in the Biz with little response. Once companies see my the six year gap in my resume its over. I have attached cover letters explaining the gap, and I don't want to start back as an RD.

If anyone has any thoughts around this I would greatly appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

76 months ago

You can't get around it, it's there and that is all you can do is deal with it. Not easy because I too have gaps and no one really wants to hear about those gaps. Hang in there and you will find someone who will look at you and what you can do and did. Good luck and glad to see you are back on the road to recovery.

Dragon in Toledo, Ohio

74 months ago

Aaron the problem is not in the gaps, it is within the injuries and companies are afraid if you reinjure yourself on the job there may be extensive issues.

At what position do you want to start at, at what pay level, after anumber of year out of the industry you may want to take refresher courses, get a few certifications and then apply.
Show the companies you are up to date within the industry, you are still motivated,, plat down your gap, due to an accident I have been out of the industry for a brief period, however having regained my formerself I am prepared to ........

Just a thought!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dragon in Toledo, Ohio

74 months ago

Hey unemployed in PBC
Interested in a part time job for an HOA in Boca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Yes, details pls. Like PM or Ass't PM, Admin? Dragon is the name of someone else on these forums. But he does not live in Toledo Ohio unless he moved.

74 months ago

Dragon???

Rent Man in Elkridge, Maryland

70 months ago

If you can do the job, don't explain your absence unless asked. Rewrite your resume, show the companies you are up to date within the industry and that you are still motivated. Good Luck!!!!

70 months ago

RentMan = I can't find a job and have decided to let my license expire at the end of the month. It would cost me $100+ to renew. Not worth it because I zeroed in on one area of property management and there aren't any jobs about there in that particular area. Also, I have age against me, no one wants anyone over 60!

70 months ago

Wake up and smell the coffee! If you can afford it, DO NOT!let your licensce expire, You are above ground, walking on flowers; NOT below ground pushing them up! As for your age. Be proud that you are 60+! Wear it as a badge of honor! Fill sorry for the one that did not hire you. Don't fill sorry for your self, You job is out there! So what if you have to look a little harder and a little longer. You have experience and know how on your side!!! I want you to know thaqt I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!! Good Luck! Let me know how things go.

Rentman

70 months ago

Sorry for my spelling! Soon to be hired Property Manager in West Palm Beach,FL.

70 months ago

Rent Man thanks for the vote of confidence but I have decided to let my license expire at the end of the month. No need to spend $100+ to renew it and take those legal updates (which I have to do to keep the license) I'm headed toward Social Security. Plus no one wants to hire someone so close to retirement age. Good luck to you also!!

Get Back In Biz | Back in Business in Lexington, Kentucky

65 months ago

If you want to search for real good jobs then visit www.getbackin.biz

Get back in biz is provided by Manpower a world wide job agency.

Even for businesses you can getbackin.biz visit www.getbackin.biz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

robbie duncan in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

I AM A 53 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO HAS BEEN OUT OF THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT BUISNESS FOR OVER 15 YEARS I MANAGED SEVERAL DIFFERENT UNITS INEED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO DO TO GET BACK I WAS IN THE BIZ FOR 19 YEARS I HAVE TOO LONG OF A GAP IN MY RESUME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Quarie in Fort Pierce, Florida

49 months ago

I'm a recruiter and there are comply of positions open if you are interested email me at daqwilliams@yahoo.com please give me your name and yor email then the applications will be sent to you to fill out but you'll have to jump at the opportunity before they are taken.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.