Property Management - Entry Level

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

cramos in Honolulu, Hawaii

61 months ago

I think this is a very interesting topic and I'm looking into it myself. How can I find out more on entry-level property management???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rouzanna in Salt Lake City, Utah

61 months ago

I'm thinking of getting into a property manadement field. How can I find more entry-level property management?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

KD in Austin, Texas

61 months ago

Bill in Torrance, California said: I'm thinking of getting into the property management field. What can I expect to earn as an entry level manager for residential associations?

The salary level is very much based on the area of the country you work in and the real estate market in that area, but most importantly you should be aware that few if any applicants enter into the field at a managerial level. If you are intersted in residential or multi-family you will need to apply as a leasing agent or possibly an Assistant Manager. Salaries for leasing in the Central Texas region ar $11.00 - $14.00 per hour. An Assistant Manager could earn as much as $32,000-$34,000 depending on the number of units she helps to over see.

If you are interested in commercial, it would be beneficial to earn a real estate license and apply for Admin Assist or possibly an Assistant Manager for a small company or small portfilio. Salary range in Central Texas would be about the same as an Assist. Mgr for residential.

You might contact temp agencies that specialize in property management. In Texas BG Personnel or Hire Priorities are big. They do provide some training before sending you out and will familiarize you with Fair Housing guidelines to keep you out of trouble. Also, a week long assignment could help you determine if this is an industry that you are REALLY interested in. You must be somewhat of a masochist for this type position. It is not easy, or glamorous and it is most usually thankless. Hope this info was helpful and Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Woodbridge, Ontario

35 months ago

Hey I would like to break into Property Management as well. Im 27 and have too much education. I went to community college for business and marketing and then got a degree in Business. Am I too old to start a Career in property management. I have worked as a caretaker partime for a major school board all this friggen time to finance everything. I know somethings about mechanical systems. Am I too old and inexperienced for this field? I will start a designation either CPM or RPA very soon.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

epmeyer2 in Sherman Oaks, California

28 months ago

I would recommend checking to see if there are any jobs at RealPage (www.realpage.com/careers), a propety management software company that does great work. They are a pretty large company and I'm sure they could have something that fits your skills. Definitely something worth looking into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ProudBam in Las Vegas, Nevada

13 months ago

I too am looking to get into property management. I have one more year to go for a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Property Management. It seems I have a couple of issues, #1 I do not have experience in the field and it seems everyone wants someone with experience. I am trying to embark on a new career. #2 everyone seems to want to hire young people coming out of college, well I will be coming out of college but I will be 56 years old in 2 weeks. No one seems to value older people even if they have a degree. I have a GPA of 3.91 I think that proves I am not quite over the hill yet and still quite capable of learning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ct in Pasco, Washington

12 months ago

Wa

ProudBam in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I too am looking to get into property management. I have one more year to go for a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Property Management. It seems I have a couple of issues, #1 I do not have experience in the field and it seems everyone wants someone with experience. I am trying to embark on a new career. #2 everyone seems to want to hire young people coming out of college , well I will be coming out of college but I will be 56 years old in 2 weeks. No one seems to value older people even if they have a degree. I have a GPA of 3.91 I think that proves I am not quite over the hill yet and still quite capable of learning.

Good for you for going after your dreams and doing so well. I received my degree in business administration and went to work as a part time leasing agent for a larger complex after a couple of layoffs years ago. After a couple of months I went to work at the corporate office assisting tbe property manager. You should assist before you go out on your own. The education only goes so far and tben you just have to do it. I have been a property manager since 2006 by getting my real estate license and getting my own clients and building my business. You have to learn by assisting for at least two years to be capable I think. It carries a lot of responsibility and liability and it is extremely stressful. If you really want to do this look for leasing work first. That will give you some good training and eventually try to get yourself to the corporate office to assist there. Also try to do the accounting work. Whatever you can do will eventually prepare you for being independent or working for a larger company. Age is a factor. I have faced it myself. I am 54 but if you are skilled enough you will find a way to get others to want you there. You should get your
Real estate license and sign on with a company who does property management and ask to assist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jobmagnet in Oakland, California

10 months ago

ProudBam in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I too am looking to get into property management. I have one more year to go for a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a Concentration in Property Management. It seems I have a couple of issues, #1 I do not have experience in the field and it seems everyone wants someone with experience. I am trying to embark on a new career. #2 everyone seems to want to hire young people coming out of college , well I will be coming out of college but I will be 56 years old in 2 weeks. No one seems to value older people even if they have a degree. I have a GPA of 3.91 I think that proves I am not quite over the hill yet and still quite capable of learning.

Hi, I agree. It is really, really terrible the age discrimination. Not many people would take the initiative like you have. I think it would help to join PM associations anyway and go to events ... i think with what you have accomplished and if you networked an met a few people in the industry you would have doors open.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.