Getting a purchasing supervisor job.

Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing purchasing supervisor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Ruth Valenzuela in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing purchasing supervisor work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I got promoted to a supervisor by setting goals for my self.I started working with my suppliers having mettings with them ; setting an agenda; going over the business and reviewing the annual volume of business.
I achieved a 500,000 cost savings on my own ;of course I made the manager aware of my results.
As a result I got promoted to supervisor but remember if you want to be a supervisor you better have a very good understanding of the buyer position .
Most companies will not requiere a degree if you have more than 5 years experience in Purchasing.
I would suggest you should join ISM and start working on your CPM Certification

Mark J. McCann in Salt Lake City, Utah

81 months ago

Given the level of satisfaction with your job effort and resulting successes, then supervision may be your ticket to the next rung on the compensation ladder. Of course, you must have command of the technical aspects and responsibilities of your position. However, supervision requires the ability to be at your most heightened savy state and be willing to share your knowledge and understanding of the subject matter with your colleagues.
The more education and training you can amass, the better prepared you will be to achieve your ambitions.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.