What are the best RN Case Manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an RN Case Manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective RN Case Manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

margaret butler in Tinley Park, Illinois

67 months ago

i am a 60 yr old diploma rn with 39 years experience in emergency nirsing, 1 yr in labor and delivery and 1 year in medical -surgical nursing. i'm currentntly trying to find a way to accesss a job that does not require such heay workk, i've served my time in critical care and now would like to end my career doing somthing less physically challenging. I hope you would be able to help me.I would take any course required that would possibly allow me to finish my career with some dignity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sheila

67 months ago

Hi, It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I am 54 and have @ 10 years med/sur and public health and the past 15 has been maternal child...L&D, now I am having knee issues and have decided
to do case management...I am currently working on my case management certification through Kaplan University...I will be happy to share what I have discovered, e-mail me at sgmc203@aol.com
Sheila

ploma rn with 39 years experience in emergency nirsing, 1 yr in labor and delivery and 1 year in medical -surgical nursing. i'm currentntly trying to find a way to accesss a job that does not require such heay workk, i've served my time in critical care and now would like to end my career doing somthing less physically challenging. I hope you would be able to help me.I would take any course required that would possibly allow me to finish my career with some dignity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roberta in Boca Raton, Florida

59 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an RN Case Manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective RN Case Manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

The best certification for RN case manager is the CCM --

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

vhatsy in Birmingham, Alabama

58 months ago

Roberta in Boca Raton, Florida said: The best certification for RN case manager is the CCM --

Tell me where I can obtain the CCM Certification Coure from.
Thanks-Valerie in Birmingham, AL 9/28/09

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tcor in Rancho Cucamonga, California

57 months ago

Sheila said: Hi, It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I am 54 and have @ 10 years med/sur and public health and the past 15 has been maternal child...L&D, now I am having knee issues and have decided
to do case management...I am currently working on my case management certification through Kaplan University...I will be happy to share what I have discovered, e-mail me at sgmc203@aol.com
Sheila

ploma rn with 39 years experience in emergency nirsing, 1 yr in labor and delivery and 1 year in medical -surgical nursing. i'm currentntly trying to find a way to accesss a job that does not require such heay workk, i've served my time in critical care and now would like to end my career doing somthing less physically challenging. I hope you would be able to help me.I would take any course required that would possibly allow me to finish my career with some dignity.

Sheila:

I too am looking to into switching gears and enter into case management. You stated you were working the the Kaplan program...what do you think thus far? The is another certification through Ammerican Academy of Case Management that ia much less expensive what are your thoughts? Have you compared the two?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sheila

57 months ago

I didn't know about this program, and you are probably right, Kaplan is expensive. I am going to have to try and extend, there is a ton of paperwork, and I am not sure I can finish by Nov. It is a good program though. Thanks, Sheila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Buffossszsssssss in Palo Cedro, California

28 months ago

Sheila said: I am taking a course online, but I did some case management in my last job. I find that as I read through my lessons I am discovering how much I don't know. I look forward to this site. Sheila C.

What course are you taking now and are you an RN or BSN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maryanne in Westfield, Massachusetts

27 months ago

I am a Masters RN with 12 years in Trauma and ER and management, I am just looking into where to go for case management also or what I should do first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharoni in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

Kristy in Fairdale, Kentucky said: Hello,

I am a RN also looking into case management ... I have researched both Kaplan and the American Academy of case management, it seems the difference is that Kaplan is accredited and the other is not... but the issue i find is that after completing these programs you still cannot receive the certification through testing unless you have 2000 hours working in case management. I have found that it is hard to obtain a job without the certification and you can't get the certification without the job... any suggestions???

Kristy, keep looking until you find a director willing to take on someone without feet on the ground experience. However, the sharper your clinical judgement skills are the better chance you will have to shine in those interviews! Attend career fairs, because nursing recruiters are often aware of potential needs in their case management departments that are yet unposted. In the meantime, true case management positions with insurers or home health/hospice agencies are a huge plus! In the meantime, keep studying all you can get your hands on about CMS regs and new laws affecting health care because you will need that information to perform your job as a case manager. Keep you chin up and your dreams alive, and keep learning! You will become an asset others will seek out!
Cheers!
Sharoni

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sharoni in Houston, Texas

25 months ago

Maryanne in Westfield, Massachusetts said: I am a Masters RN with 12 years in Trauma and ER and management, I am just looking into where to go for case management also or what I should do first.

Hi Maryanne! Talk with your case managers where you currently work. I also have my masters and it's a plus for sure! Your experience is exactly what CM teams are looking for...particularly as a CM in the ER! Wouldn't that be a hoot? Anyway, ask them....what are you looking for in a case manager? Do you think I might fit the bill & if not, what can I do to develop those skills? Trust me, we love it when people come looking for us! It's a very hard discipline but also very rewarding. And for anyone thinking that it is a less stressful job than bedside nursing.....uh....think again. It's even more so.....more mental and emotional energy is spent. But you do develop crucial conversation skills that are unrivaled in any other area of nursing except administration! I've done both! Compared to nursing administration case management is a vacation. Compared to bedside nursing .... it can be brutal. Advantage: less or no weekends and no required holidays! Whah-hoo!
Sharoni

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gdnurse in Joliet, Illinois

23 months ago

Hi, there, I have 17 years experience of nursing. I am a young 39 with ICU/Cardiac/Oncoloyg and pain management experience as well as staff nurse, preceptor/mentor and management. I am getting burnt out where I currently work because of long days, never getting to get home when we are supossed to and yet, getting told we can not get OT. ?!?! Ummm....ok???? Anyway, our days or chaotic and over scheduled with patients in our infusion room. More and more keeps getting added to the RN's and taken away from the MA's and front office staff since our merge. It's unsafe and I am tired of being ran in the ground everyday and coming home ALWAYS tired and cranky.
I recently found an entry into Case management but this company is calling it RN consultant for different reasons. Anyway, the pay is a HUGE cut from where I am now. like $9K less. She said because I am inexperienced PLUS there is not much $$$ in this type of job. She said case managers and consultants don't make a whole lot of $$. Anyone out there give me some insight on this? I am in Illinois

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Phoenix63 in Seattle, Washington

18 months ago

I have many years of bedside nursing experience. Finally making great pay but bored and burnt out with direct patient care. Returning to school and paying out the nose for an education so I can get into case management or some other indirect care nursing position. I don't want to lose pay. I don't see why I should have to if I have a higher education. Last year I made $107K on a 2 yr. degree. What do case managers make in the Seattle area? Do they love their jobs now after leaving the bedside? Just wondering if I am spending money on schooling for a job with more stress and less pay (as one of the previous posters stated). If so, I'll have to ask myself what is the point? I would love to hear from some case managers or anyone that knows one closely.

Grace in San Diego, California

7 months ago

Hi All, my question Encompasses pretty much all the issues everyone else has posted asking about. I'm a former ER/trauma nurse with Some urgent care/supervisory experience as a civilian contractor with the Naval medical Center. I'm now working for my state's dept Of public health as a certified health facilities inspector nurse. My Current position with the State is to oversee all healthcare facilities, including hospitals, SNF's, group homes for DD, etc, & required internal training + Exam re: both Fed &
State Regs re: The specific entities we inspect under our jurisdiction. Even though 'case mgr' isn't in my title, a lot of what I do involves an in depth eval of each facility To ensure compliance with every aspect of pt care + admin + Bldng code, + OT/PT/SLP, food prep + continuity of care, etc & identify discrepancies, & ensure compliance with all codes & Regs. I think the certification process for becoming a case manager is almost a paradox, cuz you need to be a case manager with experience to even sit for The CCM exam, but no one will hire you without The work experience. Here's my question: I realize that the test is considered the gold standard with regards to certification, But from what I've been reading, it "seems" like Certain organizations like the American Academy of case management and the American Institute of health care professionals + a couple others, offer What they say are approved courses in case management and that upon completion of their program, You get a certificate stating that you completed the program and are recognized as a case manager; without having to sit for the exam. Does anyone know if any Of these courses will provide a certificate upon its completion, that can be presented to perspective employers As proof of certification? Or is it solely the CCM exam that can issue a certificate? The more I ask, the more ambiguous it becomes. Anybody know?

Ryamom in Lander, Wyoming

7 months ago

I think I know the answer. The latter 2 organizations that you mention would be classes that you would take in order to learn about case management. It may or may not mean anything to your next employer. The CCM is much more official. - meaning you have done it and met certain requirements (CEU's, testing,ect).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.