Can Radiation Therapy degree stand on its own?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

John in Bloomington, Indiana

48 months ago

It seems that there is a promising future in Radiation Therapy. It sounds almost too good to be true. I have found that to usually be the case. Is it realistic to expect a job out of school with an Associates Degree in Radiation Therapy without obtaining a Degree in Radiologic Technology? Are the two expected to go hand in hand? Can I at least get my foot in the door with the first and then achieve the second? It is an accredited degree. If I become ARRT certified, will that overshadow the short comings of not having a degree in both? Thank you in advance for any legitimate answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

36 months ago

John in Bloomington, Indiana said: It seems that there is a promising future in Radiation Therapy. It sounds almost too good to be true. I have found that to usually be the case. Is it realistic to expect a job out of school with an Associates Degree in Radiation Therapy without obtaining a Degree in Radiologic Technology? Are the two expected to go hand in hand? Can I at least get my foot in the door with the first and then achieve the second? It is an accredited degree. If I become ARRT certified, will that overshadow the short comings of not having a degree in both? Thank you in advance for any legitimate answers.

As someone who does have a BS in radiation therapy, I am STILL actively looking for a f/t job in radiation therapy. I wouldnt necessarily say try the other fields unless you are truly interested in rad. therapy, but be aware that schools just want your $$. You should be privy to the truth and that is indeed there are no jobs. Supposedly, there will be an upswing in our profession around 2015 when the baby boomers retire. I am employed on a prn basis and when I do go in for a shift, it is extremely rewarding and it validates even further that I do enjoy this profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sojiking in lagos, Nigeria

35 months ago

foothill college in california has AS in radiation therapy.does this mean that you dont need to go thru radiologic tech before earning a radiation therapy degree.best regards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Red Queen in Ravenel, South Carolina

35 months ago

sojiking in lagos, Nigeria said: foothill college in california has AS in radiation therapy.does this mean that you don't need to go thru radiologic tech before earning a radiation therapy degree.best regards.

Your Associate of Science degree in radiation therapy will be independent of anything you might want in radiologic technology on the imaging side, so no, you don't have to do a rad tech program first. HOWEVER, if you have a rad tech certification too, you can cross train into CT, MRI, etc. which you can't do with just the radiation therapy certificate. If you do radiation therapy first, most schools will still require a 2-year program to add the rad tech imaging. But if you do the rad tech first, you only need to add one year of radiation therapy in order to be eligible to sit for the rad therapy certification. So it takes one less year to do both if you do the rad tech first. And having both also doubles your job opportunities, you can work in many fields versus just one. P.S. The baby boomers are starting to retire NOW, it's the boomers out there coming into the prime age for cancer that will improve your job opportunities. Sad but true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario

35 months ago

Red Queen in Ravenel, South Carolina said: HOWEVER, if you have a rad tech certification too, you can cross train into CT, MRI, etc. which you can't do with just the radiation therapy certificate.

I thought radiation therapists can apply for MRI training too. At least in Canada we can, along with the radiologic technologists. Aren't RTTs, RTRs, and RTMRs all belong to the same family, the ASRT/ARRT? Why can't RTTs receive MRI training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Red Queen in Cleveland, Tennessee

35 months ago

As of last year, Radiation therapists without the RT (R) credential were still not allowed to cross train and become certified in MRI or CT. I fought it back when I was clinical because I used that dagnabbit CT every day in my job, but the ARRT requires a diagnostic education and certification before adding on certifications for other modalities that do diagnostic imaging.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mama123

9 months ago

the last post was almost 2 years ago... do you see any changes now? jobs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lance H Johnson in Ormond Beach, Florida

9 months ago

Red Queen in Cleveland, Tennessee said: As of last year, Radiation therapists without the RT (R) credential were still not allowed to cross train and become certified in MRI or CT. I fought it back when I was clinical because I used that dagnabbit CT every day in my job, but the ARRT requires a diagnostic education and certification before adding on certifications for other modalities that do diagnostic imaging.

A Radiation Therapist with an AS degree CAN cross train in CT, MR, Bone Densitometry, Quality Management, and Sonography. RT(T) is primary and the other cross modalities are post-primary. This info can be found in the ARRT CT Handbook from the following link on page 5. To be able to take the board exam for CT and MR you must complete 125 exams within a 2 year period.

www.arrt.org/pdfs/Disciplines/Handbooks/CT-Handbook.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.