Unemployed radiation therapist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

41 months ago

I am an unemployed radiation therapist going on 2yrs since graduating from my program back in August 2009
Although I have been working on a prn basis since March 2010..it truly is not the same as f/t experience when you're applying. It's a little hard faking the smile and remaining upbeat around co-workers when there is no end in sight with the unemployment going around in all sectors. It's a tough pill to swallow when you have co-workers praising you and telling you.."you're so great, you will get a job soon enough, just hang in there". I just want to yell "how the hell do you know, you at least has a full time job with financial stability where you can afford to support your family" Even our medical director has said to put his name down as a reference which I most definitely do on my applications and yet still no response. The main reason being is that I only have prn experience which is by no means a choice but I guess a luxury compared to many who have no experience. To make it even worse, I have applied endlessly to non-radiation therapy jobs and have had 3 interviews in the past, but they won't hire me because of my potential to leave should a full time therapy job opens up. I guess I would like to hear from others who are in my situation or who were in my situation and how did you get out of this rut and what actions did you take to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack!
any and all are welcomed to make a statement

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana said: I am an unemployed radiation therapist going on 2yrs since graduating from my program back in August 2009
Although I have been working on a prn basis since March 2010..it truly is not the same as f/t experience when you're applying. It's a little hard faking the smile and remaining upbeat around co-workers when there is no end in sight with the unemployment going around in all sectors. It's a tough pill to swallow when you have co-workers praising you and telling you.."you're so great, you will get a job soon enough, just hang in there". I just want to yell "how the hell do you know, you at least has a full time job with financial stability where you can afford to support your family" Even our medical director has said to put his name down as a reference which I most definitely do on my applications and yet still no response. The main reason being is that I only have prn experience which is by no means a choice but I guess a luxury compared to many who have no experience. To make it even worse, I have applied endlessly to non-radiation therapy jobs and have had 3 interviews in the past, but they won't hire me because of my potential to leave should a full time therapy job opens up. I guess I would like to hear from others who are in my situation or who were in my situation and how did you get out of this rut and what actions did you take to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack!
any and all are welcomed to make a statement

It took me 2 years to find my position. When I would apply for jobs online, then I would research the name of the cancer center and send hard copies of my resume/coverletter to the department. I think that a lot of times the resumes get filtered in HR and never even make it to the hiring department so I ensure that my information gets in the right hands. That method has gotten me 4 interviews. Keep your chin up. Trust me, I KNOW how hard it gets...but it does get better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

41 months ago

shiloh, thanks for the positive vibes sent my way...its good to hear news from the "other side" i.e. employed side:)
i have implemented your advice by sending out hard copies to hospitals i have applied to. unfortunately, since the majority are out of state, it will be pretty hard to garner some attention. BUT i will keep chugging along!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana said: shiloh, thanks for the positive vibes sent my way...its good to hear news from the "other side" i.e. employed side:)
i have implemented your advice by sending out hard copies to hospitals i have applied to. unfortunately, since the majority are out of state, it will be pretty hard to garner some attention. BUT i will keep chugging along!!

I found my position out of state. In fact, each time that method worked for me, it was a site that was out of state. Keep positive and keep looking. It will happen. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

banke in Dundalk, Maryland

39 months ago

Maybe you guys can help me too. I have graduated last yr and its been 1 yr plus looking for a therapy position i have applied all the neccessary tips and still hanging in there. BUT right now i have an employer whom i heard is looking for therapist and after talking to him am been asked to send a copy of my resume to him. i know this might sound weird but after taking so much time in looking for a position it makes u feel like u are always doing something wrong. i already have my resume in tact but i will appreciate if anyone can help me draft a letter informing him that i appreciate the opportunity to talk to him and i have attached the copy of my resume. PLUS must i send both my resume and cover letter he only requested for resume tho. Help needed asap. thxs guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Syed Abbas in Trenton, New Jersey

39 months ago

banke in Dundalk, Maryland said: Maybe you guys can help me too. I have graduated last yr and its been 1 yr plus looking for a therapy position i have applied all the neccessary tips and still hanging in there. BUT right now i have an employer whom i heard is looking for therapist and after talking to him am been asked to send a copy of my resume to him. i know this might sound weird but after taking so much time in looking for a position it makes u feel like u are always doing something wrong. i already have my resume in tact but i will appreciate if anyone can help me draft a letter informing him that i appreciate the opportunity to talk to him and i have attached the copy of my resume. PLUS must i send both my resume and cover letter he only requested for resume tho. Help needed asap. thxs guys.

Hi,

I am looking for Physical therapist for my new Clinic in NJ. If interested please send your resume to Syed-abbas@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dne81 in San Antonio, Texas

39 months ago

Hey Karebear78 & Shiloh Litton

I feel the same way you do. I am certified in nuclear medicine technology and I have been out of work for a year. I have had a few phone calls only to schedule an interview and tell me the day before they hired someone else. I wanted to know do you have any advice on how to follow up with after applying for the job? Should I go in person and talk to Supervisors of Radiology? Any advice would be beneficial. Good luck to everyone.

DNE81

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

39 months ago

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania said: There is a website, www.eradimaging.com that has free CEU's. You have to register for a free membership and it's not really related to therapy, but they work and they are free.

Hey Shiloh

I clicked on the link for the CE, but apparently its $19.95...was it free in the past?
Just wondering

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Clarksville, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana said: Hey Shiloh

I clicked on the link for the CE, but apparently its $19.95...was it free in the past?
Just wondering

There used to be a free membership. But if you skip the registration and click on "CE ACTIVITES" on the home page and then select "ASRT ACCREDITED ACTIVITES", there are many free ones to choose from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dave in Mount Royal, New Jersey

38 months ago

Hi

I am a going into Radiation Therapy field. I will be attending Thomas Jefferson University program. I am a Nuclear Medicine Technologist and I am also CT certified. Is it a good idea to get into Radiation Therapy? I won't finish the program until June 2013 so I guess I don't have to worry about the job market till then. I think Radiation therapy has good future once the recessions ends and there is more potential including making more money than nuc med.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karebear78 in Bloomington, Indiana

38 months ago

Well I really dont go into RTT for the $$, but rather the positive attitude one can bring into someone life who is dealing with a sickness whether curative or palliative. I'm sorry to sound all cheesy and cliche, but its true. I was looking for a profession where I felt I can bring a smile to someone's face and in turn make me feel all positive. At the time, I was living in NYC and was all jaded and sooo negative...I needed something uplifting and found the right career. You are right..by the time you graduate, you shoudnt have a problem with the job market. Again sorry for sounding all sappy but you really have to go into something that fulfills you rather than the $$. However, I am a realist with a family so yeah $$ does sweeten the pot. Good luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HisGirlfriend in Randallstown, Maryland

37 months ago

banke in Dundalk, Maryland said: Maybe you guys can help me too. I have graduated last yr and its been 1 yr plus looking for a therapy position i have applied all the neccessary tips and still hanging in there. BUT right now i have an employer whom i heard is looking for therapist and after talking to him am been asked to send a copy of my resume to him. i know this might sound weird but after taking so much time in looking for a position it makes u feel like u are always doing something wrong. i already have my resume in tact but i will appreciate if anyone can help me draft a letter informing him that i appreciate the opportunity to talk to him and i have attached the copy of my resume. PLUS must i send both my resume and cover letter he only requested for resume tho. Help needed asap. thxs guys.

Hey Im INTERESTED IN RT I would like to know which school did u go to?? CCBCESSEX???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HisGirlfriend in Forest Hill, Maryland

37 months ago

What school did u go to in Maryland I wanna go to school for Radiation Therapy

banke in Dundalk, Maryland said: Maybe you guys can help me too. I have graduated last yr and its been 1 yr plus looking for a therapy position i have applied all the neccessary tips and still hanging in there. BUT right now i have an employer whom i heard is looking for therapist and after talking to him am been asked to send a copy of my resume to him. i know this might sound weird but after taking so much time in looking for a position it makes u feel like u are always doing something wrong. i already have my resume in tact but i will appreciate if anyone can help me draft a letter informing him that i appreciate the opportunity to talk to him and i have attached the copy of my resume. PLUS must i send both my resume and cover letter he only requested for resume tho. Help needed asap. thxs guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

D Lyte in Lexington, Kentucky

37 months ago

Has anyone here on the forum ever worked for or heard anything about Cancer Care Associates of Fresno?
Any remarks will be appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.