The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

What do you enjoy most about radiation therapist work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Bbelle06 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

79 months ago

I've been a therapist for 3 years now. I look forward to seeing my patients everyday. They are reason why I love my job. Sometime it can be very stressful at work though. I think it's the different personalities in the dept. Some Doctors are very hard to work with. Scheduling can be hectic at times. Things need to be done at a certain time in an 8 hour work day, it's hard to get everything done in one day. Especially when there's emergency pts or when the machine isn't working. Some setups are complicated and can be challenging. There's limited advancement in this field, but I learn something new everyday. The reason why I'm still at my job is because I feel like this is my second family. Majority of the therapist that I work with have been working there for years. I was offered a job as a student. So I feel very close to them. Believe me its not the money. I know I can be making a lot more at another center.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ci in Gainesville, Florida

77 months ago

I'm a Rad Tech and have been thinking about becoming a radiation therapist i found a school that only takes a year and i'm sure it what i want to do. my only concern it that i fell that i may not find a job when i finish school. does any one know how the job market for radiation therapist is in florida and georgia?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ci in Gainesville, Florida

77 months ago

I'm a Rad Tech and have been thinking about becoming a radiation therapist i found a school that only takes a year and i'm sure it's what i want to do. my only concern it that i feel that i may not find a job when i finish school. does any one know how the job market for radiation therapist is in florida and georgia?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

radiationexposed in Chula Vista, California

77 months ago

Ci in Gainesville, Florida said: I'm a Rad Tech and have been thinking about becoming a radiation therapist i found a school that only takes a year and i'm sure it's what i want to do. my only concern it that i feel that i may not find a job when i finish school. does any one know how the job market for radiation therapist is in florida and georgia?

xray tech over 5 years ---> then finished my therapy school summer 07, passed boards for license in feb 08 ...have yet to find an employer who will look at me seriously "with out experience" ... apparently my clinicals don't matter neither does my xray experience...
anyone hiring??? I'll relocate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ci in Tallahassee, Florida

76 months ago

Not finding a job is my biggest fear, i know that i want to be a therapist but i dont want of quit my rad tech job and go to school and not be able to find a job when i finish. maybe i will do some traveling in rad tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Radmaster in Roanoke, Virginia

71 months ago

radiationexposed in Chula Vista, California said: xray tech over 5 years ---> then finished my therapy school summer 07, passed boards for license in feb 08 ...have yet to find an employer who will look at me seriously "with out experience" ... apparently my clinicals don't matter neither does my xray experience...
anyone hiring??? I'll relocate

I hear you we have similar backgrounds, I was an xray supervisor, tech for 5 years...what a dumb move leaving. regrets regrests. The experience thing stinks, too. wish i'd done this right out of school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

recent grad in Indialantic, Florida

71 months ago

I just graduated with a Radiation Therapy degree in August with only clinical rotation experience. The job market is really terrible for Radiaition therapist (too much supply and not enough demand). Lucky for me I managed to get a job as the center I'm with was desperately looking to fill the position but I had to relocate. I wish everyone lots of luck finding a job in this field. I think the schools have got to restrict enrollment or have a new class graduate every other year to keep in sync with the current job market.

Ci in Gainesville, Florida

70 months ago

what school did you attend, i applied to HCC in Tampa, fl

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

plong1234 in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

Isnt it true that u can get a job as a traveling Radiation therapist just like an RN?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

radiationexposed

69 months ago

plong1234 in Brooklyn, New York said: Isnt it true that u can get a job as a traveling Radiation therapist just like an RN?

Rad tech's / therapists have many temp. agencies to work for. Again it would seem 2 years experience would be a minimum requirement

rtstudent in Macclenny, Florida

63 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about radiation therapist work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I'm in school now and will be graduating in the Spring. Basically the market is flooded...and appears will only get worse as more and more get cranked out of schools. In Jacksonville, they have told our class to basically take ANY job you can get, and don't expect to get a job anywhere near Jacksonville. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

coldupnorth in Minneapolis, Minnesota

63 months ago

I was informed of much the same thing where I am. Our 2007 class only had 2/3 find full time work and they won't give us the statistics about the 2008 class yet. I expect it to be much worse. Of course they count part time work as finding a job, so they claim a 90% job placement rate, but most of those part time jobs are per diem with maybe 8hrs a week max. Not something that one can live off of.

coldupnorth in Minneapolis, Minnesota

63 months ago

To answer the host's question, the work is great; its finding the work that is problematic.

StephanieMae815 in Toledo, Ohio

20 months ago

Hello everyone! Ive been reading these threads for days, trying to make a decision on which Profession to choose. I really, really want to do RT (radiation therapy) however Im worried about the radiation. Ive read many RTs have died of Cancer and other study/college groups believe the Profession is the cause.. I am also concerned I wont be able to find a job, is it really that bad? I thought maybe I could study to be an RT and move up the ladder through the years with continuing education (getting a BA or Masters/Radiology). Im tore between RT and sonography... Why do Radiation Therapists make so much money? Do you think RTs get paid more because of Cancer risks? RTs make more than Nurses with an Associates Degree. All comments/advice/information is welcome. Thank you so much!

billsart in New York, New York

20 months ago

StephanieMae815 in Toledo, Ohio said: Hello everyone! Ive been reading these threads for days, trying to make a decision on which Profession to choose. I really, really want to do RT (radiation therapy) however Im worried about the radiation. Ive read many RTs have died of Cancer and other study/college groups believe the Profession is the cause.. I am also concerned I wont be able to find a job, is it really that bad? I thought maybe I could study to be an RT and move up the ladder through the years with continuing education (getting a BA or Masters/Radiology). Im tore between RT and sonography... Why do Radiation Therapists make so much money? Do you think RTs get paid more because of Cancer risks? RTs make more than Nurses with an Associates Degree. All comments/advice/information is welcome. Thank you so much!

There is no radiation exposure risk unless you are assisting with a brachytherapy procedure which in most departments is rare (usually the physicists will do this and any exposure to them is well under the limits.)
The pay is high because you have to be at your best every minute you are dealing with the patients, you will be delivering extremely high doses of radiation to human beings and there is the possibility that they can be injured or even worse, however small that risk may be it is still there. Also the salaries start out decent but dont get much higher as you progress in your career, you basically get cost of living raises and maybe experience raises every few years till you max out at 10 or so years.
Finally the market is very tight because the schools are churning out graduates when there is no need for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.