Are radiation therapy and x-ray tech two different fields?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Lara in College Station, Texas

36 months ago

I have been looking at x-ray technician and radiation therapy programs in Texas. Not only is it confusing trying to find a program that is accredited, and not trying to rip you off, but i am having difficulty find very much about either program and their differences. I already have my A.S. in science and would like to get my bachelor's in one of these fields. Are there any good bachelor's programs in the state of Texas? All I can find in the one at Texas State in San Marcos. Is one field a better option then the other?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Red Queen in Ravenel, South Carolina

35 months ago

Go into the ASRT website and look up accreditied schools near you, then you can call the schools to find out what type of program they offer.
As far as the fields go, know yourself. Do you want fast paced, high turnover, the satisfaction of taking a great image that leads to a correct diagnosis right off the bat? Or do you want a fast-paced but relationship-building career where you treat and cheer on people fighting the battle against cancer? Do you want maximum flexibility about where you will go next in your career, or do you want to go one place and stay there? Identify what you want out of your career and then proceed accordingly. As a radiation therapist for 20 years, I loved it but I was limited by not having a diagnostic imaging credential too. I would have liked to be certified in CT but I would have had to go back and get a diagnostic radiologic technology education first, eveen though I used a CT every day in my work. My advice would be to do both, get the rad technologist first, add a year to a get the therapy part too. Three years total investment, and may people work as PT rad techs during the rad thereapy year of school. It's all up to you and what you really want to do and how hard you want to work to get there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

MRT(T) in Toronto, Ontario

35 months ago

Yes, radiation therapy and x-ray technology are two different fields.

Radiation therapists use ionizing radiation to treat cancer patients (and to plan treatments in countries other than the US, which you'll need to pursue for an additional dosimetry certification), and x-ray technologists takes pictures of patients using ionizing radiation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Charlotte, Vermont

32 months ago

What is the job market like for a person out of a good university and a 4 year Radiation Therapy program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RTTbound in Austin, Texas

31 months ago

Lara in College Station, Texas said: I have been looking at x-ray technician and radiation therapy programs in Texas. Not only is it confusing trying to find a program that is accredited, and not trying to rip you off, but i am having difficulty find very much about either program and their differences. I already have my A.S. in science and would like to get my bachelor's in one of these fields. Are there any good bachelor's programs in the state of Texas? All I can find in the one at Texas State in San Marcos. Is one field a better option then the other?

I am currently in the radiation therapy program at Texas State. I love it but it is challenging. If you are interested in radiation therapy, there is Texas State, MD Anderson in Houston, and UT Southwest in Dallas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shiloh Litton in Salisbury, Maryland

31 months ago

Donna in Charlotte, Vermont said: What is the job market like for a person out of a good university and a 4 year Radiation Therapy program?

Honestly, there is no benefit from having a BS degree versus an AS degree in most areas. That being said, there are some sites that will only look at applicants who have a BS degree. However, the job market for radiation therapy is very sketchy right now and has been for years. Do your homework before making your choice. It is an extremely rewarding career and I cannot imagine myself doing anything else, but it did take me a solid 2 years before finding my job. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.