Do you find time to travel?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

MattR in Richmond Hill, New York

52 months ago

As a ramp agent with unlimited flying benefits do you actually have anytime(7daysto maybe around 1month) to travel abroad?? Or if you unfortunately loose your job would you get unemployment benefits/pay with a certain travel period?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JET-nyc in Manhattan

51 months ago

MattR in Richmond Hill, New York said: As a ramp agent with unlimited flying benefits do you actually have anytime(7daysto maybe around 1month) to travel abroad?? Or if you unfortunately loose your job would you get unemployment benefits/pay with a certain travel period?

Hello
I have a question, did you by chance attend the AA open house for the Ramp position for JFK ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MattR in Kew Gardens, New York

51 months ago

No i never heard of the AA open house.what is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JET-nyc in Manhattan

51 months ago

Well it was like an invite, i applied for ramp on AAs website and we all met at a hotel near jfk arpt for a interview..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

I use my travel benefits very regularly. It varies from airline to airline but my company (Southwest) offers generous vacation time. I currently get 15 vacations days (3 weeks) as well as 1 "freeday" each month. The "freeday" is just a paid day off like any other vacation day but they have to be used within that month. Counting those, I really get 27 vacation days per year. Vacation days increase with your seniority. At Southwest, ultimately you top out at 25 days of vacation, plus the 12 freedays. That's 37 days a year of paid time off.

We also have very good schedule flexibility. There is limitless shift trading that can be done with co workers. We also bid on our schedules at least 6 times a year. So you can work your work schedule around other things in your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MattR in Kew Gardens, New York

48 months ago

Do most people that work for Southwest have a college degree or alot of airport/aviation experience to get the job? It seems to be considered the best airlines for ramp agents.

48 months ago

At this point in time I really could not say what makes one applicant stand out over the other, or what you could do to give yourself an advantage. Regardless of what your qualifications are, it's just a challenge to get your resume in front of a set of human eyes for consideration. Even in good times (pre 2008) getting hired at Southwest carried the odds of winning a small lottery. I've even heard that it's statistically more difficult than being admitted into Harvard. There's something like 15,000 applications per job opening. Now with the way the economy is and the even lower rate of hiring, I would have to imagine that competition is pretty stiff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in bakersfield, California

48 months ago

John how often do the work schedules change? Do you work 8-5 one day then 3-11 the next? Or is it pretty much set monthly? I asked this question and they said it vaires but I still dont understand...I know there can be occasional mandation but other than that how often do the shifts change?

48 months ago

Oh I also know you have to bid on the shifts based on senority but my main concern is how often your work shifts changes

48 months ago

No, the start times will not vary that much. Your line will either be AM or PM, and some lines might have days where the start time is 30 minutes later or earlier. Most lines start times are the same for all 5 days. If you do happen to get a line with different start times, you'll receive a shift differential premium for holding that line. Shift bids take place every 1- 2 months.

48 months ago

Basically my shift will change weekly? Not monthly?

48 months ago

No, your schedule will change about every 2 months. When I say schedule I'm talking about your set hours and off days that would consist of your work week. You might have off Mon-Tue, Tue-Wed, Wed-Thu, Thu-Fri, Fri-Sat, Sat-Sun etc. And you might start at 0700 and get off at 1530. This is what's called a line. There will be hundreds of lines to choose from, each one with different off days and start times.

48 months ago

Thanks John. I sure hope I can continue school at least on a part time basis. Do you find it that more seniored employees want the morning or night shift? and what are the work hours? Is it 24 hours (meaning you can possibly have a 8-5 or 3-11pm or 11pm-7am

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Vernonia, Oregon

48 months ago

I know tons of people who manage school and working at Southwest. It's not a 24 hour operation. There are only 2 shifts (with many variations in start times). No red eye flights at Southwest. The preferred shifts that are most often taken by senior agents are AM shifts. An AM shift might be anything from 0530:1400 to 1000:1830. PMs would be from like 1430:2300 or 1300:2130 Your line will have consistent start times with maybe a 30 minute variation. For example you might me 1300:2130 for tue wed thur fri, but 1330:2200 on sat and be off Sun Mon. I would recommend making some "shift trade friends" to help keep your schedule dynamic. Also be prepared for the training process. During this time there will be no schedule flexibility. You'll be in Dallas for about a week and the rest will be training in either your home station or another station. Training from beginning to end lasts about a month. Then you're subject to a 6 month probation period. This is essentially your trial period before you're allowed to join the union. During this time you're expected to have perfect attendance and demonstrate high proficiency at the job. You'll be evaluated regularly. During probation you can be let go for any reason.

If it's at all possible, I might recommend taking a semester off of school while you can become situated at Southwest. At least get off of probation so you can have union protections, plus you'll likely have a bit better seniority by then. You'll also become more comfortable with how to manage your hours around school and stuff as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Thanks John. So one more question. During my training peroid is the hours usually 8-5?

47 months ago

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California said: Thanks John. So one more question. During my training peroid is the hours usually 8-5?

I'm not customer service, so I can't be completely certain how your training will be facilitated, but training hours tend to vary. In fact on the ramp they make sure to have you on all of the shifts to get a feel for them and to also work the jobs that correlate with the different start times. Be ready to commit your life to Southwest for a short while. You're going to be training on varying hours and you're going to be sent to Dallas for a couple weeks as well.. Just plan for that. Once that's all completed, you'll bid on a line and then you'll have your consistent schedule. But count on a solid month of being along for the ride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sunshine3200 in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Thanks John!!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.