What are the best ramp agent qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a ramp agent? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective ramp agent?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

jefluv in Bronx, New York

93 months ago

Is being a ramp agent a hard job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

rmonlv in Long Beach, California

91 months ago

I work as a ramp agent in LAX for two years. You dont need training before you enter is like entering the military they will train you there, they just need people that can handle the job, Ramp agent is like bootcamp in short explanation, it requires a lot of body action. It depends if you are built to do the job. I seen a lot of people that was hired fat and they loose weight big time and they love it. Some people they quit in a week..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No Reply - Report abuse

lidya in Meda, Italy

84 months ago

jefluv in Bronx, New York said: Is being a ramp agent a hard job?

yes it is for weather conditions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tata in Australia

81 months ago

hi guys!i'm a ramp agent since 4 years and i have totally 9 years of airport career in my background.Actually i'm living in Australia (SYD) and i'm looking for this position.I'm an italian girl and that's incredible how could be difficoult to find a job as ramp agent here.I'm trained jet,i'm marshalling certificated and i can make all kind of loadsheet manual then by computer.Anybody has answered to my application form...i'm so sad...that's my job..that's my life..you know..u can do it just if u love it so much.please,if anybody knows some position available,let me know on the forum!thanks a lot guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SAL in Middleburgh, New York

79 months ago

tata in Australia said: hi guys!i'm a ramp agent since 4 years and i have totally 9 years of airport career in my background.Actually i'm living in Australia (SYD) and i'm looking for this position.I'm an italian girl and that's incredible how could be difficoult to find a job as ramp agent here.I'm trained jet,i'm marshalling certificated and i can make all kind of loadsheet manual then by computer.Anybody has answered to my application form...i'm so sad...that's my job..that's my life..you know..u can do it just if u love it so much.please,if anybody knows some position available,let me know on the forum!thanks a lot guys![/QU

HERE YOU GO TO UNITED.COM THEY HAVE THE BEST JOBS AROUND YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE MAIN COUR. IN CHICAGO BUT THEY WILL PAY FOR YOUR TRIP FREE.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

tata in Newcastle, Australia

79 months ago

SAL in Middleburgh, New York said:

Hi!!
Thanks a lot for your help, i'm going right now to check the United web site and i will let you know!!!Thanks again!!!Roberta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JET-nyc in Manhattan

74 months ago

SKY WEST HIRING IN SLC, UT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SAL in Middleburgh, New York

74 months ago

SAFETY FIRST I HATE TO WATCH A 4HRS VIDEO. BUT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO WATCH IT...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

73 months ago

If you want to get into working ramp, I suggest trying to get in with Southwest. Doing it for the other airlines isn't really worth it. Southwest is a great company to work for, and not just as far as airlines go. They're also unionized and they pay well. You can make about $25 an hour just being a regular ramp agent there.. All of the other airlines are making cutbacks and fighting to stay in business. Southwest is in the best financial shape of all of the airlines in the US.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

roberta in Rome, Italy

73 months ago

Hi Jhon,
i am so happy to read some news about my questions.I have arrived back in Italy from Sydney one month ago and i am going to check your information out on the web site.
How can i do with the Visa to work in the US? In Australia i had a Working holidays visa and i stayed there for 1 year.Is it possible in the Us?
Thanks again for your help jhon!
Cheers,Roberta

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Mineola, New York

69 months ago

SAL in Middleburgh, New York said: NEW JOBS OPENING..

1 UNITED AIRLINES
2 UPS
3 JET BLUE
----------------------------------------------
THE WORST AIR LINES
DELTA
ALITALIA
BRITISH AIR
SONG
A A

Delta hasn't been bad at all for me ... $10.50/hr part time and let's face it we're rampers .. we know not to hurt ourselves for the sake of the airline. I would definately agree that Jet Blue has far superior training though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ramper in Mineola, New York

69 months ago

roberta in Rome, Italy said: Hi Jhon,
i am so happy to read some news about my questions.I have arrived back in Italy from Sydney one month ago and i am going to check your information out on the web site.
How can i do with the Visa to work in the US? In Australia i had a Working holidays visa and i stayed there for 1 year.Is it possible in the Us?
Thanks again for your help jhon!
Cheers,Roberta

Roberta,

Do you work for Alitalia? I only ask because I've been wondering how hard it is to get a placement in Italy. I have hit a snag in my dual citizenship which would have helped immensely I'm sure .. nevertheless I'm curious how difficult it is for an American to get a job at an airport in l'Italia.

As for a US working visa .. call the main consulates, either Washington D.C. or New York City, they'd be able to help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roberta in Portogruaro, Italy

69 months ago

Hi!i don't have good news...In Italy is really tough to find a good position into the airport right now, for the Alitalia problem.The new company, CAI, has taken in Alitalia and Air One all together, but they are going to dismiss more than 3.000 employees.I was an Air One /Lufthansa Ramp agent, and currently i m still looking for a new job into the italian airports.I have to check out THE US embassy site, to find s good Visa to come over there.If u have any more questions, feel u free to get me back anytime.Thanks Jhon!Cheers,Roby

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BOB in Manassas, Virginia

68 months ago

What are the typical house and shift for Ramp agents at IAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mauro74 in Watford, United Kingdom

67 months ago

Hi , im looking for a flight dispatcher job outside U.K.
Can someone help me? Thanxs.......

shahe in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

67 months ago

i am working in abu dhabi intl airport as a ramp agent....i like to relocate from middle east.. if there is anyvacany just help me by sending the details. my email address is shahehussain@gmail.com.........thanx

Samuel in Palma, Spain

59 months ago

roberta in Portogruaro, Italy said: Hi!i don't have good news...In Italy is really tough to find a good position into the airport right now, for the Alitalia problem.The new company, CAI, has taken in Alitalia and Air One all together, but they are going to dismiss more than 3.000 employees.I was an Air One /Lufthansa Ramp agent, and currently i m still looking for a new job into the italian airports.I have to check out THE US embassy site, to find s good Visa to come over there.If u have any more questions, feel u free to get me back anytime.Thanks Jhon!Cheers,Roby

Hi roberta! I´m ramp agent too. I´ve been working in Palma de Mallorca as a ramp agent for the last 4 years. I was interested to move out Spain and try to work in Australia. Cause I have dual citizenship Argentine and Italian I can take the working holidays visa, as you know. However it would be great if there is any posibility to go to USA and get a new experience of life. The goal for me is to know another culture, know places, improve my english, and of course have fun ; ). So please, please, tell me if you found out something about it...Thanks..

putz in Imlay City, Michigan

55 months ago

Are there any jobs that have just like one or two flights per day? I like mostly to play poker or chess while I am working and waiting for the flight to come in.
I want to work as little as possible and make about 25 per hour. Where is a good airline location for that job? I can lift 100 lbs with one hand but am smart too so i think an airline would hire me if i just knew where to apply for that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WingsFan in Clarkston, Michigan

55 months ago

What is a good airline to work for part time in the USA, where they provide flight benefits?

ken in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

52 months ago

heh guys,do i really need training be4 i can have a job as a ramp agent?? please i love this job? need ur comments guys.thanks

John in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

The training is done with the company after you're hired.

ken in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

52 months ago

John in Chicago, Illinois said: The training is done with the company after you're hired.

thxs,i will try !!! thxs alot

bill in Chesapeake, Virginia

46 months ago

seems like a good job. If you have any other work experience then you should be good

daggirby in Rome, Italy

46 months ago

Samuel in Palma, Spain said: Hi roberta! I´m ramp agent too. I´ve been working in Palma de Mallorca as a ramp agent for the last 4 years. I was interested to move out Spain and try to work in Australia. Cause I have dual citizenship Argentine and Italian I can take the working holidays visa, as you know. However it would be great if there is any posibility to go to USA and get a new experience of life. The goal for me is to know another culture, know places, improve my english, and of course have fun ; ). So please, please, tell me if you found out something about it...Thanks..

Hi!
I am working as ramp agent in rome and I would like to move to Palma. Do you think I could find a job at the airport there? I would really appreciate some help from you. I have no contact and I can only check on the internet.
Are the ground services handled by aena or different handler or airlines companies directly?
Thank you a lot in advance!
Ro

Samuel in Manacor, Spain

45 months ago

Hi,
I wouldn't recommend you to come here at all. Sorry for that sad advice :-( ...The truth is that the whole economy in Spain is collapsed, we have almost 5 MILLIONS of unemployed people, which is about 20% of the population. A friend of mine who is italian like you, came to Mallorca a few years ago, he had worked as ramp agent in Milan for 17 years and now he is trying to return because here is impossible to get a job. I'm one of those unemployed so my vision is pessimistic. Anyway I'll give you some useful information. There are 2 bigs companies that handle most of the airlines they are Iberia and Acciona, and some others that make their own handling such Air Europa (where I used to work), Easy jet, Ryanair... None of them depend of AENA.
I hope to help you, at least help you to know the situation here. Good luck!!!

daggirby in Rome, Italy

45 months ago

Thank you anyway for your advice. It's always useful to hear from someone who has experience living and working in the place.
I will think about it longer before living my contract here in Rome, even if the working conditions and the organization of Fiumicino Airport is awful.
I will contact you again aventually. Thanks bye, Rob

Rob in New York, New York

41 months ago

WingsFan in Clarkston, Michigan said: What is a good airline to work for part time in the USA, where they provide flight benefits?

JetBlue has the best part time gig out there. You can work whenever you want. They only ask u to make your min. of 216hrs for the quarter. As long as you do that you can take off 3 wks straight and travel for free if you really wanted. But if you dont make your hours u will be gone.

Rizzah in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

I just applied for a position as a ramp agent I have a misdemeanor on my record but was never charge the disposition says stricken from docket with leave to reinstate i did my drug test i know i passes that but the background check is what im worried about..i have no felony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

peter in Central District, Hong Kong

30 months ago

Hi. I am also a ramp agent in Hong Kong for half year already . Ramp agent in Hong Kong is not a hard work to do ,even u don't need to marselling the aircraft , just like an office boy to send out though papers and coordinate other party they want so, when I saw the ramp agent from other country , they need to be a handset person, I am feeling how small I. am. . Here is the airline I handle. Tiger airways, Hong Kong airline ,cebu pacific, delta, Turkish airline cargo, singapore airline cargo and I an certificated load sheet handler for cebu pacific nice to meet u guys online welcome to share your exprience in airport careers

30 months ago

Hi. I am also a ramp agent in Hong Kong for half year already . Ramp agent in Hong Kong is not a hard work to do ,even u don't need to marselling the aircraft , just like an office boy to send out though papers and coordinate other party they want so, when I saw the ramp agent from other country , they need to be a handset person, I am feeling how small I. am. . Here is the airline I handle. Tiger airways, Hong Kong airline ,cebu pacific, delta, Turkish airline cargo, singapore airline cargo and I an certificated load sheet handler for cebu pacific nice to meet u guys online welcome to share your exprience in airport careers

30 months ago

FedEx007 in Whittier, California

18 months ago

rmonlv in Long Beach, California said: I work as a ramp agent in LAX for two years. You dont need training before you enter is like entering the military they will train you there, they just need people that can handle the job, Ramp agent is like bootcamp in short explanation, it requires a lot of body action. It depends if you are built to do the job. I seen a lot of people that was hired fat and they loose weight big time and they love it. Some people they quit in a week..

Hi rmonlv, do you still work at lax? If so what airline? I got my f2f coming up this Monday for a part time ramp agent position and I have a few questions.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.