What do you enjoy most about your ramp agent career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a ramp agent? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

renee382010 in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a ramp agent? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

i woul like to be a ramp agent at dfw airport

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Chicago, Illinois

44 months ago

What I like most is the work that I do. I love being outdoors every day working in the environment that I'm in, handling flights, and the satisfaction after pushing the plane from the gate and watching it leave knowing that I just played a significant role in sending a flight full of people safely across the skies. At my company, ramp agents are entrusted with the responsibility of pushing and towing of aircraft on the ground, formulating the load plan for the flight (in a weight and balance compliant manner), marshaling into and out of the gate, servicing water, power, electric, and air.

It can indeed be challenging, and that's when the real work is done.. Trying or coordinate the turning around of a flight amongst the chaotic environment of irregular operations is enough to make most people want to quit. After a few years of experience you learn to dance in harmony with the chaos. Once you really grasp the intricacies and nuance of the operation, you can sort of forecast and make decisions better.

The learning experience never ends. I've been doing this line of work for a bit over 8 years now and I'm still learning ways to improve. There are so many variables and operational challenges that you come into contact with, no day is the same as before. You're constantly figuring out new ways to manage unique issues.

Advancement,.. Not so much. It's sort of a paradox because people like me (who've been in the trenches for ever, and know SOOO much about the operation) will likely never be in a managerial position simply because it's not attractive for me to accept such a position. There is no question that I could likely step in TODAY and take my station manager's job (and probably do it better), but the simple fact is that I enjoy a much better compensation to quality of ratio than those jobs provide. This reality keeps MANY of the best airline people out of managerial positions, especially at union airlines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.