Getting a real estate analyst job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing real estate analyst work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

jing in Berwyn, Illinois

92 months ago

Real Estate Analyst position matches my professional interest, education background, and industry experience. I would like to contribute my proficiency in analytical and strategic thinking, problem resolving, as well as my leadership and communication skills to the firm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in New York, New York

88 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing real estate analyst work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

You need to acquire basic financial analysis skills ie. Discount Cash Flow modeling skills in Excel and a familiarity with Argus. These quantitative abilities in tandem with an understanding of basic real estate finance concepts (read a real estate finance textbook) should put you in position to get a 1st yr analyst job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dashal Bone in NY, New York

88 months ago

It really difficult to find a position as an analyst in the Commercial Real Estate Industry. If you don't have over a 3.5 GPA or an internship, my advice is for you to wake up from your dream. You best bet is to work for a commercial real estate brokerage shop and after a couple of months, move to an analyst position. Brokerage stinks because you constantly make cold calls but after 4 months in brokerage, I knew I wanted to stick in real estate so it made it pretty easy to BS Hiring Managers about why I was looking for a new position. Also read your local news paper, costar, and other real estate news sites. It will help you to BS and show your passion for the industry. The BS you can spit during an interview will help you land a position!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Baom in Marietta, Georgia

88 months ago

I'm a civil engineer with a master in business administration focused in Marketing and finance. my whole career i worked closely with real estate developers and investors doing all kind of analysis in determining the profitabiliy of their real estate venture. most of my analysis were in the design aspect, du deligince, and financial projection with the help of their real estate agents. Well, now I just got my real estate license and i'm looking to work for a broker as a part time for few months until i make my way the real estate analysit position. . . am I on the right track??? I really would like some serious advice as the difference in pay between my current position as an engineer and the real estate analysit is SIGNIFICANT . . . . thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

greg in Bayside, New York

88 months ago

i would say that your previous experiences makes you a strong cadidate for an analyst position. I would take some of your more complex and aesthetically pleasing financial projection models and do your best to see that they are seen in conjunction with your resume. in addition, i would learn how to use argus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Baom in Marietta, Georgia

88 months ago

there are several different components of Argus. . . which one would you recommend i focus on??? also, do you know if i can get a student version from another vendor??

Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

greg in Bayside, New York

88 months ago

If you are consistently seeing that the job requirements (for the jobs that appeal to you) have Argus as a skill in which they want in their employees, you should just go to the Argus website, or my company's at www.kahrrealestate.com and download the free trial version and try and figure out what's going on. there's no specific "component" you need to know, rather it will give you a leg up if you know the basics of the software in which you could pay for a training course with either the Argus company itself or a company like mine which trains people how to use argus

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.