HOW CAN I OBTAIN A RECEPTIONIST JOB WITHOUT FORMAL TRAINING? OR CAN I???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 111)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

71 months ago

It's the same person. Seems that Indeed goes nuts once in awhile and puts my location in different places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Thanks Displaced, At first I thought there were two of me!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Evansville, Indiana

71 months ago

I just want to say thanks to the advice Denver, Colorado or at least I think that comment was for me anyway I read a lot of what is written, and I apply it to my life if I feel that it is helpful. so I just want to say thanks to everyone who has kind words, and very useful advice it is very much appreciated as usual more advice is welcome, and to anyone else out there like me just never give up there is a clerical position out there for you.

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: That is a very rude and sexist comment. I am a mom and wife in her early 50's and just as qualified as a "hottie" that may not have my computer skills, verbal and oral communication skills, education or job experience. I hope you are not ever in a position of hiring people- I would hate to work for someone like you.

I also have excellent computer skills, verbal and communication skills, but I am over 40 now and can no longer get hired for front desk work. Its the reality of age discrimination. Yes, what he said is sexist, but he is being honest. Unfortunately, many employers would prefer a young "hottie" to sit at their front desk and make that first impression. I was let go from my front desk receptionist job because I was told they did not like my "image". I was over 40 and pregnant. I later found out they replaced me with a younger woman who barely knew microsoft word or excel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina

70 months ago

I appreciate your comments. I still think it stinks and it IS illegal; but I know it happens. I have been passed over for many job openings for which I was overqualified. However, it seems wherever I go, I see people in customer service/front desk jobs who are rude, obviously not "people persons", and sloppily groomed and dressed. If image is so important, how in the world did these people get hired over qualified people such as ourselves who try to present a good appearance and personality?

70 months ago

I am aware that front desk positions often require more than just operating the switchboard. At my last position at a church, I operated the switchboard, was responsible for all data entry and updates in the church membership database, did correspondence, kept up with all the members situations for pastoral care, did large bulk mailings, and whatever they asked me to do. I was replaced because of "church politics". My husband now on staff at another church and they replaced me with the wife of the new music minister; it was not due to job performance. I realize now that I had it good there, even though I was a bit bored - I am having trouble finding anything! And I have a B.A. and an M.A. Because I have not used my degrees in 20 years, no one will give me a chance.

70 months ago

carol adebisi in London, United Kingdom said: i want to be tain as receptional dont mind volunter work to start

What??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

70 months ago

Thankful and Blessed in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: I appreciate your comments. I still think it stinks and it IS illegal; but I know it happens. I have been passed over for many job openings for which I was overqualified. However, it seems wherever I go, I see people in customer service/front desk jobs who are rude, obviously not "people persons", and sloppily groomed and dressed. If image is so important, how in the world did these people get hired over qualified people such as ourselves who try to present a good appearance and personality?

From what I have seen, companies will overlook a sloppy appearance or poor skills, if the employee is young - 20s or early 30s. Once you get over 40, they are going to be very strict about a lot of things regarding your image, appearance, etc. I was over 40 and working in an industry where most people were in their 20s. Once I put on some weight and got pregnant - that was it. I was let go ASAP. However, I dressed better and acted more professional than most of the young people I worked with. Some of the 24 year olds would come in to the office hung over from drinking too much, their supervisors thought was "cute" or something. Yet, in the end they told me I was the one who had "low energy levels". What a joke.

Doogie in Glendale, Arizona

70 months ago

Julie Chang in Bartlesville, Oklahoma said: From what I have seen, companies will overlook a sloppy appearance or poor skills, if the employee is young - 20s or early 30s. Once you get over 40, they are going to be very strict about a lot of things regarding your image, appearance, etc. I was over 40 and working in an industry where most people were in their 20s. Once I put on some weight and got pregnant - that was it. I was let go ASAP. However, I dressed better and acted more professional than most of the young people I worked with. Some of the 24 year olds would come in to the office hung over from drinking too much, their supervisors thought was "cute" or something. Yet, in the end they told me I was the one who had "low energy levels". What a joke.

I remember a time when job hunters had to dress their best for interviews. Now I see applicants in their twenties dressed in tank tops, jeans, flip flops. They have no pride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

noel in Springfield, Oregon

69 months ago

Senior Citizen in Jacksonville, Florida said: I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are really wasting your time, so I will attempt to help you... First of all, you will NEVER get a receptionist job if you do not even have the savvy to understand that typing in all caps is like shouting. A receptionist job these days is virtually the same as a secretary and nobody is going to hire you when you have no conception of how to even write a document without shouting. They will naturally assume you might shout on the phone or say something to a customer that is inappropriate. So... tone it done a notch. Next, don't go for the receptionist job right off the bat. Look for a job in the mail room or as some sort of office assistant and use the pay to support yourself while you show them your initiative by taking night classes in clerical work and computer use. You are also living in the middle of nowhere, unfortunately. Move yourself to Tampa or Orlando. Larger cities have more jobs in the field of office work. Just apply for positions as though you already live in the city and when you are hired, find a way to move there. Get a girlfriend to do the same thing and you both may be able to share a place to start out. Hope this helps. Good luck and NEVER be desperate.

As I read this reply you gave I noticed that you were direct and honest. I need honesty! I am a divorced mother of two and on SSI. I have a social anxiety disorder that prevents me from leaving my house, most of the time. I really want off of SSI and to be able to provide for my children and myself on my own. I have thought about a computer job I could do from my own home but to be honest I am not that good with computers. Can you help me?

69 months ago

Hy Displaced, You ole' hound dog!! How the heck are ya? I thought I would be enjoying myself after my decision to semi-retire but dang it's hard sitting around. I just joined a Florida organization called Cyber Citizens for Justice. It's a Homeowners group fighting associations. Great group!! Other than that I have a nice tan lol....

Now to the question at hand. I dressed nice - ladies suit (mostly dark gray or black),good mid-high heel, got the credentials to go along with the suit but (yeah isn't there always a but) my age is a big factor. Receptionist positions aren't always easy for a beginner. Try something like a file clerk. No brainer there unless you do not know your alphabet or numbers.
You can't get a job without some sort of knowledge in the field. Call a women's group in your area.

me in Worcester, Massachusetts

69 months ago

lose, not loose :}

Senior Citizen in Earleton, Florida said: I said it because I knew that the individual would probably take it as a mean thing to say just as you have. In a discussion about how to get employed it is appropriate to give the facts. If someone says they don't understand why they are getting nowhere, how can it be mean to tell them the truth? In an interview, you will not be told these things and you may go on to loose several potential jobs without ever knowing why. I will say it again, in regards to your comment... this is not meant to be mean but if you are a long term customer service person, is your normal style to just tell a customer what you figure they want to hear instead of listening to them and providing appropriate help? Have you done any research on the idea? Do you know for sure that some of your customers don't just eat your candy and then have to call back to get a real answer from someone else or possibly go to a competitor for what they want? You see you may be doing the same thing, just blithely going on thinking you are doing it right only to discover someday that your own failures can no longer be tolerated and you wind up in the group that gets laid off. There is an old story about the person who comes into a restaurant and there is no salt on the table, they have to wait what they feel is too long to get served, the food isn't that tasty and they don't enjoy the experience. They don't leave a note, they just don't come back .

Kimberly in Oak Park, Illinois

69 months ago

Try a temp service. Most of my assignments have gone to an offer for permanent positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rue

63 months ago

Erin said: I KNOW I'M A FAST LEARNER AND OFFICE WORK HAS ALWAYS BEEN WHAT I HAVE WANTED TO DO, I KNOW SCHOOL IS AN OPTION BUT I'M REALLY HOPING THAT SOMEONE WOULD TAKE ME UNDER THIER WING AND DO ON THE JOB TRAINING THAT WOULD GET MY FOOT IN THE DOOR. I'M NOT SURE IF I'M TRYING TO OBTAIN SOMETHING THAT IS UNATTAINABLE WITHOUT GOING TO SCHOOL OR IF THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT. IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS FOR ME OR EVEN COMPANIES THAT THEY KNOW ARE WILLING TO GIVE ON THE JOB TRAINING FOR RECEPTION/CLERICAL WORK PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!!! ANY!!! I'M 24 YEARS OLD FROM BARTOW, FLA. AND HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SO I REALLY NEED HELP. ANYONE WILLING TO WRITE A TIP OR IDEA FOR ME I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!
"DESPERATE IN FLORIDA" ALSO KNOWN AS ERIN =)
THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!! THANKYOU!!

Dear Desperate in Florida,
As long as you have hope, ambition, and faith...you can do anything you set your mind to do. I have over 15 years experience in the field and I am happy to give you some tips.

1. Develope strong customer service skills. That is key to any position. Know how to talk to people, including initiating conversations. Always greet clients and visitors with a smile and always say hello - use first names.
2. You don't need formal training, but you do need entry level to advanced computer knowledge. Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills are required. Learn these well.
3. Call Screening & Call Receiver roles are very challenging. It can get busy - really fast. You must be a multi-tasker and able to work in a fast-paced environment without crumbling to thrive as a recognized receptionist. Start with customer service jobs, something fast-paced. Build your people and computer skills, then apply for a job that interests you. Let them know upfront that you do not have a lot of experience. Be willing to start at the bottom and work your way up.
Good luck...you can do it.

Irene in Williamson, New York

63 months ago

Erin said: I KNOW I'M A FAST LEARNER AND OFFICE WORK HAS ALWAYS BEEN WHAT I HAVE WANTED TO DO, I KNOW SCHOOL IS AN OPTION BUT I'M REALLY HOPING THAT SOMEONE WOULD TAKE ME UNDER THIER WING AND DO ON THE JOB TRAINING THAT WOULD GET MY FOOT IN THE DOOR. I'M NOT SURE IF I'M TRYING TO OBTAIN SOMETHING THAT IS UNATTAINABLE WITHOUT GOING TO SCHOOL OR IF THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT. IF ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS FOR ME OR EVEN COMPANIES THAT THEY KNOW ARE WILLING TO GIVE ON THE JOB TRAINING FOR RECEPTION/CLERICAL WORK PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!!!! ANY!!! I'M 24 YEARS OLD FROM BARTOW, FLA. AND HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SO I REALLY NEED HELP. ANYONE WILLING TO WRITE A TIP OR IDEA FOR ME I WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!

If you go to the Department of Labor, they will pay for your training. Also call non-profits organizations with Training and employment programs, they will help with training, plus you don't have to pay a cent. also the can pay for Work Experience, meaning you start working for a company but the department of labor pay for it until you are hired by the company. their is a lot of options don't give up. If you want to do it, you can do it.:)

I'm a job counselor:)

DLond512 in Elmhurst, New York

60 months ago

Hello everyone. I recently applied for a receptionist job, and I am going on the interview soon. I have had experience as a receptionist at an internship at the American Symphony Orchestra. I don't know why, but I am a bit nervous. Does anyone want to give me a few pointers that will help me obtain the job. Thank You Very Much!!!

plunkettgabrielle@ymail.com in Gary, Indiana

60 months ago

I hope to find a good job where i can chew gum and have funb a little and also get my work done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Collins in Bronx, New York

59 months ago

Longtime Customer Service Rep. in East Elmhurst, New York said: You say your not being mean, but you know you are being mean. That is why you felt the need to say it.

To the wannabe receptionist, hang in there! It is tough getting into a new field. But if you are smart, confident, and willing to learn you can do it.

i really wanna work as a receptionist

ladyp21 in Charleston, South Carolina

54 months ago

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!

Hello i will say this, all caps is not the way to go, but focus on your customer service skills, telephone answering skill and multi tasking. Be confident in who you are smile and take time out to talk to you in the mirror so you will know your expressions. Always express the positive and tell the customer what you can do for them and not so much what you can't. In an interview pretend like you got the job but don't be cocky just confident. hope this helps

tya in Fairburn, Georgia

54 months ago

Debbi Mununo in Sarasota, Florida said: Im a recetpionist and love it! I even blow bubbles with bubble gum at my desk, and my boss, George, says he thinks I am cute, and laughes everytime I do that.

It's so sad that a person like you can land a great job and I've been looking for a year now with tons of experience and no luck. I know sex sells but I would starve to death before I allow myself to obtain a job the way you have. Best of luck to ya!

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas

54 months ago

It is obvious that some very bored person just made up that story about blowing bubbles at their desk. Receptionists work very hard, and I've never known of any who had time to waste at work.

Karen

54 months ago

Debbi Mununo in Sarasota, Florida said: Im a recetpionist and love it! I even blow bubbles with bubble gum at my desk, and my boss, George, says he thinks I am cute, and laughes everytime I do that.

I dont think thats cute and I have been a receptionist for 20 years

Karen

54 months ago

I have worked in HR and as a receptionist for the past 20 years for a great company which is no longer here anymore but it was quite the experience. I have heard every excuse possible, every persons story, you name it but I wouldnt trade it for anything because all the employees I worked for trusted me more than they trusted the corporate big shots that thought they were big shots.
Its harder then it looks sometimes. I still miss it 3 years later!

Emmy in Sydney, Australia

53 months ago

Senior Citizen in Jacksonville, Florida said: I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are really wasting your time, so I will attempt to help you... First of all, you will NEVER get a receptionist job if you do not even have the savvy to understand that typing in all caps is like shouting. A receptionist job these days is virtually the same as a secretary and nobody is going to hire you when you have no conception of how to even write a document without shouting. They will naturally assume you might shout on the phone or say something to a customer that is inappropriate. So... tone it done a notch. Next, don't go for the receptionist job right off the bat. Look for a job in the mail room or as some sort of office assistant and use the pay to support yourself while you show them your initiative by taking night classes in clerical work and computer use. You are also living in the middle of nowhere, unfortunately. Move yourself to Tampa or Orlando. Larger cities have more jobs in the field of office work. Just apply for positions as though you already live in the city and when you are hired, find a way to move there. Get a girlfriend to do the same thing and you both may be able to share a place to start out. Hope this helps. Good luck and NEVER be desperate.

Senior citizen from Kingwood Texas, not only are you mean, you are rude, arrogant and ignorant. Go back to the retirement home where you belong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lupe Gonzalez in Plano, Texas

53 months ago

Well, I thought she had some good advice. Even though she was very blunt in the way she put things. Its true that one should never type in all caps.

Karen

53 months ago

Yep shows your mad or angry. Also it sounds like your yelling.
I never send E Mails in all caps I think she told ya the right stuff.

J.Berry in New Iberia, Louisiana

53 months ago

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said: Hate to say it but you DON'T have the skill of good communication and customer service. Here, it does not matter, but if you took a typing test for a potential employer and wrote run-on sentences, misspelled words, failed to capitalize the pronoun "I," left out punctuation, typed double words and used the poor English syntax that you have here, they wouldn't bother to call you back. Also, a part of customer service involves proper communication. You have a FEELING they might not think you are good for the job; you are SCARED to take the chance of testing reality; and you just FEEL it isn't the same thing??? The heart of good customer relations is listening to the customer and responding. They would never hire a person they thought would treat a customer based on just feelings and not use direct communication out of fear. Test reality for yourself... Go out and walk into a place of business like a large corporate office. See how the receptionist treats you and compare that person to the same receptionist in some small business where you may find the person is not even at the desk when you walk inside. Just tell them you are lost and ask for directions to a nearby place (perhaps the company you just visited). See the difference for yourself. I am not being mean, I am just telling you the facts. I would not have hired you for my receptionist/secretary. I wouldn't have the time to spend apologizing to clients for your work.

I think you did come on a little mean to the person all the did was just asked a question. It might be a good thing that you are not the perosn that has to hire her/him. Not all bosses are the same anyways some of them not so cold heart like your self.

To the wanna be receptionist/secretary if that is what you are aiming to go ahead on dont let anyone bring you down. With god all things are possible.

dude in Menlo Park, California

51 months ago

annette in Paterson, New Jersey said: im looking for a receptionist job and i have the skill of good communication,custmer service and im a people person i know some what about commputer but something just tells me that they might not think im good for the job and i could also type but im scared to take my chances of applying to a receptionist job. I worked for a a doctors office for like 2 month and that how i learned but i just feel its not the same.

Is English not your first language? If you are bilingual then I understand your writing skills just in this sentence is poor. "I have the skill of good communication" What is that all about?
When you fill out your resume I hope someone is editing it.
good luck .. If you are Bilingual there are more job opportunities out there..

Karen

51 months ago

I worked as a HR receptionist for a manufacturing company for 20 years and I got laid off in 2007. Then I went to work as a receptionist for a hearing aid doctor and it was totally different!Try working for someone half your age!
I have been looking for a job since I got laid off for the second time in 2009 so I now have a company that clean houses and a partner that helps me. No more supervisors, no more you dont quite fit for the job, no more managers that cant wear the pants in the family and decide to do it at work. I am so happy for now to do something that I do that pleases people and have no one to report too. I use my receptionist skills when I talk to people on the phone to let them know what they are getting for the money they pay when we clean their house. This is not a forever thing though my husband would be glad if I got an office job but for now, this is what I am doing and I am happy doing it for once!

Bheld in Merchantville, New Jersey

50 months ago

Lorraine Wassner in New York, New York said: I am a senior citizen living in New York City. I am not ashamed of my age, 68, and I have recently found myself in a hole financially. Social Security is not enough to sustain me.
When I retired three years ago, I was working as an office manager in a very small office. I loved my job and would love to go back but unfortunately the office has since closed down. Now I am looking for a simple receptionist job, close to my apartment, but do not know where to start looking. I cannot afford to apply to an agency. People look at me like I have two heads when I say I want to go back to work; however, it is necessary financially or I will be in deep trouble.
I need help with suggestions. If anyone can give me some, I sincerely thank you.

You can apply at Officeteam a temp agency that does not charge you for applying at their agency. Very professional and caring personnel. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie Chang in Plano, Texas

50 months ago

No, Office Team is awful, so are all the other temp agencies. They chew people up and spit them out on a regular basis. You will never get anywhere temping. Please, if you want a receptionist job, try to find a permanent placement somewhere - don't go to temp agencies. Network to get job leads on your own, send out resumes and fill out applications online. Apply directly to the businesses you want to work for.

Blair in Sydney, Australia

43 months ago

Senior Citizen in Kingwood, Texas said: Hate to say it but you DON'T have the skill of good communication and customer service. Here, it does not matter, but if you took a typing test for a potential employer and wrote run-on sentences, misspelled words, failed to capitalize the pronoun "I," left out punctuation, typed double words and used the poor English syntax that you have here, they wouldn't bother to call you back. Also, a part of customer service involves proper communication. You have a FEELING they might not think you are good for the job; you are SCARED to take the chance of testing reality; and you just FEEL it isn't the same thing??? The heart of good customer relations is listening to the customer and responding. They would never hire a person they thought would treat a customer based on just feelings and not use direct communication out of fear. Test reality for yourself... Go out and walk into a place of business like a large corporate office. See how the receptionist treats you and compare that person to the same receptionist in some small business where you may find the person is not even at the desk when you walk inside. Just tell them you are lost and ask for directions to a nearby place (perhaps the company you just visited). See the difference for yourself. I am not being mean, I am just telling you the facts. I would not have hired you for my receptionist/secretary. I wouldn't have the time to spend apologizing to clients for your work.

Just letting you know that your are only ment to use one question mark at the end of a sentence not multiple question marks. Remember to fix your mistakes before giving advise to others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nora in Plano, Texas

43 months ago

Ment? Is that something you chew on to freshen your breath?

lydia in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

32 months ago

You are extreamly rude!! she is asking for positive comments not for someone to put her down. I didn't get a ny education and I also have a child. I am 19 years old and I am a receptionist at a law firm. I have gotten 4 pay raises within six months. WHat you need to do is speak to adults and get some type of connections. The only way I think that anyone can get into a law firm or any facility they must know someone. Otherwise it will be hard even if you have an education. Experience is key

rachel in North Port, Florida

32 months ago

HAAHA awesome!

Dawn in Bristol, Virginia

31 months ago

Erin,
I hate that you got your feelings hurt by the two people that gave you the best & most thoughtful advice on this thread. I feel for you because when I was your age, I might have taken their words personally myself. But now, I have absolutely no doubt that both of these people were trying to be very helpful. Advice is different & much more useful than hollow words of encouragement like, "you can do it!". I think you know you can do it, what you need to know is how to do it. I have learned a lot over the years &, if you care to read this, I will share some of what I've learned. Because I too, would like to help you. I will tell you what I wish someone had told me when I was in my 20s. I admire you for beating addiction, for trying to improve yourself for yourself and for your family, & for being humble enough to seek advice. If you can now learn to accept said advice without being emotional about it (that's a tough one, I know from experience) then there will be no stopping you!
In business you cannot take advice/anything personally. Business if very logic ruled & emotions will only trip you up in every situation. Therefore, in business you must learn to be ruled by logic & not emotions. We females often struggle a lot with that; we love our emotions. These two individuals gave you some very good advice that took a lot of thought & even a little research on their part. They were not being rude, but (sorry if this hurts) all-caps (even in forums) is considered rude.
In your situation you have two options: seek education or seek constructive criticism. I hope you have come to the point where you can appreciate real advice and not hollow words. Constructive criticism sometimes bites, but it is the most effective way to improve yourself if you can develop tough enough skin to handle it. Good luck & God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

het in Surrey, British Columbia

30 months ago

You're a cranky old a**hole.either shut up and give proper advice without the attitude, or dont give any advice at all!

Karen in Colorado Springs, Colorado

30 months ago

I dont friggin believe it. I am 55 years old, and I cant even get a receptionist job in this town and I was at my last employer 22 years, its lovely people like you and I mean that in the worst way, that make my job searching terrible, therefore I have my own business now and love it. Also do you have pink hair!

30 months ago

I really didnt when I was a HR receptionist for 20 years.
Maybe you should think about running a cleaning business.
I made 25 dollars an hour cleaning someones house and I never did that working receptionist jobs.

annied in New York, New York

28 months ago

I need advice. Please. I interviewed for and was offered a well paying job. The firm did a background check on me and then recinded their offer. I have no record, no arrests,however, I do have BAD CREDIT. I am a single mom and I have outstanding unpaid hospital bills due to lack of health insurance.My son's dad is suppose to provide health insurance, but he is a deadbeat and now my credit is ruined. I also had to return my car to the dealer because I couldn't afford it when I became unemployed. I have never written bad checks or go crazy with credit cards. Just the hospital and repossesion..I am in a very bad situation. I am considering bankruptcy. How can I pay bills when I can't get a job? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you

Sally in Riverside, California

28 months ago

Erin said: NO YOU WERE NOT HELPFUL. YOU WERE RUDE. I KNOW ALL CAPS IS COMPUTER TALK FOR YELLING, HOWEVER THIS IS NOT A JOB! IT'S A FORUM TO HELP PEOPLE. ALSO WHERE I LIVE HAS PLENTY OF POSITIONS IN THIS FIELD. I DON'T NEED TO RELOCATE MY FAMILY AND LEAVE BEHIND MY HUSBAND'S FAMILY, MY FAMILY, AND MY DAUGHTERS GRANDPARENTS, FRIENDS, AUNTS AND UNCLES. WHAT IS IT THAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING? FROM WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR JOB IS TO BASH OTHER PEOPLE TO COMPENSATE FOR YOUR INSECURITIES.

P.S. THE ALL CAPS WAS FOR YOU SWEETIE! I JUST WISH WE WERE FACE TO FACE SO YOU COULD HERE ME!!!

GET A LIFE!

Haha wow. Why post when you can't take constructive critisism?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cathy in Pompano Beach, Florida

26 months ago

Max in Plainville, Connecticut said: I agree with you. Some people come on here asking for advice and they are intelligent people but you tell them the truth and they go ballistic on you. You are nice enough, sir to tell them some sound advice that I will take. In reference to the person you were giving advice to no offense but she seems to expect some effortless way to get into the challenging field of reception. There is a lot of competition out there. Employers are going to choose the best.

Yea but instead of discourage them you should give them good pointers and try to help people and not be so mean about this..Yea how do the employers choice there best if they don't how they work in the beginning.People could just be saying they are the best just to get a job and once they get in they are the worst employee ever. I go to school for been a medical billing specialist and there is people that are willing to give me a job even if Im still in school. Good Luck to people who are trying to do what best for them and their family and dont have these people discourage you for anything.

dj in Seattle, Washington

25 months ago

Erin said: I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on where to start in obtaining a receptionist position. What sort of classes and training are required? I wanted to go the technical school route. Can someone give me an idea of how long training for this position would take? I have a two year old daughter and I'm married and I don't want to work as a sales associate for Macy's forever. The money is not what I need it to be either. I also would appreciate someone who could tell me at lease a ballpark figure a receptionist makes. I live in Florida and I know it is different state to state, but any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

P.S. IF ANYONE IS GOING TO BE RUDE TO ME AGAIN, PLEASE SAVE IT. I WOULD LIKE REAL ANSWERS.

Pay rate for a receptionist in Florida is between $8 and $12 per hour depending on your experience.

25 months ago

Erin, you would be better off working for yourself as a house cleaner or something. I own a cleaning company and make 25-30 dollars an hour cleaning houses. I will never go back to an office again or be a receptionist like I was for 20 years. I loved the job but the pay stunk!

Enra in Somerset, New Jersey

25 months ago

I don't understand why anyone would want to be stuck in an office all day, unless they just don't like being outside. I've worked as a receptionist for over 10 years and have come to really dislike it (it's not even what I wanted to do in the first place).

You end up picking up the slack for other departments without any increase in compensation. Granted this may depend on the company you work for, but I've never had a reception position yet where the responsibilities of other departments weren't dumped in my lap.

Wait until you have several supervisors that you have to answer to - who fail to communicate with each other - and they all think their assignments take priority. But they don't (or rarely) discuss it with each other, instead they take it out on you when you fail to perform like a machine (because you're not).

Receptionist = glorified gopher drone. If that's all you aspire to being, by all means. Go to school, take some courses in business and communications. Unless an ad says 'no experience necessary' (most of them want entry level) you're going to find it hard to get your foot in the door without an education in office work.

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

I agree that being a receptionist is not that great, but many jobs these days are dead end jobs anyway. The person may want something entry level, to get their foot in the door. A receptionist position looks better on a resume than a fast food job.

Jan Yladvik in Chicago, Illinois

25 months ago

Also, where I live its 110 degrees in the summer; nobody wants to work outdoors. Office jobs are ideal. But there is heavy competition even for receptionist positions. Everyone thinks a receptionist job is a brain dead occupation. The fact is, receptionists do a LOT more than just answer a phone. There are also hundreds of people who mail out resumes when they see a receptionist job advertised.

deborabradford@rocketmail.com in Sanford, North Carolina

22 months ago

Honey,olo your boss George is just being nice (lose the bubble gum) you are the first person that customers see.You are suppost to be a professional you are the first repsentation of the company.

deborabradford@rocketmail.com in Sanford, North Carolina

22 months ago

Hello, I am also looking for a office job with paid trainning. Does anyone remember the On the Job trainning Programs from long ago? What ever happened to them? I am having to move to a different career
due to health reasons.My hours have already been cut back,I am afarid I will lose my job very soon.I need to get on the job trainning I plan to attend online school at night and work during the day. I need my Administrative Assistant degree. I already have a little education and have been applying to some places already. I have a proffesional approch to this type of work to halp make my transiaton esaier and am a fast learner. I am almost 50 years old and though I have slowed down I can still work and do a good through job for my employer ( whoever hires me) i also have a history of job longevity.
I stick with jobs where I can recieve training while working.

Rachel in Sarasota, Florida

22 months ago

Erin- I have never met you but you do not seem very bright. You need to go back to school. BIG TIME! You are asking if you need training to be a receptionist? Give me a break!!!! You answer the phone, is that hard? But then again, you are from Bartow.. no wonder. And why are you telling people about a heroin problem on here?!? You should be ashamed of yourself. You are dumb trash and I really don't care to share my oxygen with a waste like you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.