What are typical records manager salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Records Manager in Atlanta, Georgia

79 months ago

Salaries in this field, like any other, depends on your education, your qualifications, your experience, the industry you’re in, and the geographical area you live in. I know of records managers who make over $100k a year. I recently read about a position in New York, for example, where the salary started at $125k.

It's hard to say what's typical, but I'd guess around $50-60k or so with several years of experience.

There are many more records management jobs now thanks to Enron, Arthur Anderson, etc., so the opportunities are greater. Becoming a Certified Records Manager (CRM) helps in getting a better salary, as does having good experience. I also think that working in a variety of industries as well as moving UP the ladder in terms of doing more and getting more responsibilities, is also key to advancing in this field.

Finally, writing articles and speaking at meetings, seminars, etc. also works.

Me? I'm a RM professional with 25 years of progressive experience. I was a consultant for many years (that's how I got most of my experience), and also have international work experience. I've worked for major Fortune 500 companies, and have traveled quite a bit as well as relocated in building my career. Salary-wise, I'm just under $90k a year and moving up.

It's not easy and I have definitely been blessed. But I've also worked hard to get to where I am, and have been willing to travel and relocate in order to gain experience.

Also, with more and more emphasis on electronic records, become as skilled as you can in this area. We (records Managers) need to learn much more about IT and their work and functions than ever before.

Finally, join the Association of Records Managers and Administrators (ARMA). Learn more about them at www.arma.org, and find out if your city has a chapter--if they do, join it! Being involved in ARMA provides a great opportunity for learning and networking.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

gradpsalm in Stone Mountain, Georgia

59 months ago

i'm currently an mba graduate student and have been interested in records management for some time now. the information you have provided is very much appreciated and beyond useful! thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.