What do you enjoy most about your Reference Librarian career?

Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a Reference Librarian? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Marian in Plano, Texas

79 months ago

I work part time in an academic library. What I enjoy the most, is helping students and faculty with any research need. I'm curious about everything and love to learn new things. What I dislike the most, is --like anyone who has ever worked in retail can tell you -- it's hard to be nice to mean, rude folks. Most of the library users are nice enough, but there is the occasional bad apple who just wants to cause discomfort in others. The work is very challenging, trying to stay on top of newer technologies and current events, and it is very challenging when the reference desk is busy and I hardly get to sit down. I am part-time, so I don't get many opportunities to learn and advance, except on my own time. What keeps me at my job are the great hours: I work a 5-hr day while my kids are at school. I get no benefits, but the pay is good enough.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.