What are the best regional loss prevention manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a regional loss prevention manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective regional loss prevention manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Atlanta, Georgia

75 months ago

There is no training that will land you a RLPM job. Regional jobs are very high up on the food chain and to get to that level requires many years experience. I have spoken to many people and even interviewed kids right out of college who think they should be hired as an RLPM just because they has a college degree. The fact is, a college degree only gets you to the door, but without multiple years experience as a district lp manager,store lp manager, investigator, and detective, that person could never do the job. By the time you get to the regional level, you need to be an expert. And to becaome an expert, you need to work your way up typically starting as a store detective catching shoplifters, then on to a supervisor, then to a single store lp manager. From there, you need to acquire interviewing / interrogation skills by attending Wicklander / Zulawski. At that point you may move up to an investigator position. After a few years of cutting your teeth on interviewing, the next step is a DLPM (district lp manager). Once you have proven yourself in that arena, you are ready for the big leagues...the RLPM position. The work load of a typical RLPM is vast at best. Most people cannot handle it effectivly. The major reason is the amount of travel required and the stress on the family life. It is not east. Top that with being in constant contact with Directors and VPs, and the stress gets to most people. Having a college degree is great, I have a masters degree, but without the experience you will never get hired as a RLPM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Richmond Hill, New York

50 months ago

Everything Scott said is true. He described my husbands route through the ranks to the T. It's great to get all the certifications (Wicklander, CFI, LPQ, LPC, CPP) and the education but you definetly need the real world experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tim in Medina, Ohio

43 months ago

Scott in Atlanta, Georgia said: There is no training that will land you a RLPM job. Regional jobs are very high up on the food chain and to get to that level requires many years experience. I have spoken to many people and even interviewed kids right out of college who think they should be hired as an RLPM just because they has a college degree. The fact is, a college degree only gets you to the door, but without multiple years experience as a district lp manager,store lp manager, investigator, and detective, that person could never do the job. By the time you get to the regional level, you need to be an expert. And to becaome an expert, you need to work your way up typically starting as a store detective catching shoplifters, then on to a supervisor, then to a single store lp manager. From there, you need to acquire interviewing / interrogation skills by attending Wicklander / Zulawski. At that point you may move up to an investigator position. After a few years of cutting your teeth on interviewing, the next step is a DLPM (district lp manager). Once you have proven yourself in that arena, you are ready for the big leagues...the RLPM position. The work load of a typical RLPM is vast at best. Most people cannot handle it effectivly. The major reason is the amount of travel required and the stress on the family life. It is not east. Top that with being in constant contact with Directors and VPs, and the stress gets to most people. Having a college degree is great, I have a masters degree, but without the experience you will never get hired as a RLPM.

Is spelling a requirement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jberry23224

35 months ago

I agree with Scott. I have the CPP,PCI and CFI but I got them after I was an RLPM. I started the exact same way as Scott described. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.