What does it take to get a reporter position???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Nikki in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

101 months ago

I am beyond frustration!
I've been freelancing for over 13 years. Now when folks hear freelancing, they think you have an assignment here or there...NO, I've had daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly assignments...juggling between many various puplications. All of this is reflected in my resume and in my clippings...yet I can not land a full-time gig. My market is very closed...so I've resigned to relocating (which i'm not really happy about w/ a grandchild on the way!) Becoming a full fledged newspaper reporter has been a goal of mine for some time...YEARS...I'm actually making a career change. But doors are not opening, I'm constantly getting back from editors "We want someone with 3-5 years at a daily" HOW am I ever going to get this experience if no one will give me a shot! Obviously, I do have talent or I wouldn't have my ongoing assignments from the papers and magazines that I do write for.
I am so frustrated, I'm just about to give up and accept the fact that maybe this is not the path I should be pursing.

Please give me some words of encouragement and advice.

Nikki

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Frank Levine in Austin, Texas

88 months ago

Nikki in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I am beyond frustration!
I've been freelancing for over 13 years. Now when folks hear freelancing, they think you have an assignment here or there...NO, I've had daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly assignments...juggling between many various puplications. All of this is reflected in my resume and in my clippings...yet I can not land a full-time gig. My market is very closed...so I've resigned to relocating (which i'm not really happy about w/ a grandchild on the way!) Becoming a full fledged newspaper reporter has been a goal of mine for some time...YEARS...I'm actually making a career change. But doors are not opening, I'm constantly getting back from editors "We want someone with 3-5 years at a daily" HOW am I ever going to get this experience if no one will give me a shot! Obviously, I do have talent or I wouldn't have my ongoing assignments from the papers and magazines that I do write for.
I am so frustrated, I'm just about to give up and accept the fact that maybe this is not the path I should be pursing.

Please give me some words of encouragement and advice.

Nikki

Nikki...After more than three decades of staff reporting/editing on daily and weekly newspapers, and after a few more years freelancing with magazines, the old adage of it isn't what you know, its who you know applies....most of my reporting slots were gained through friends in the business. What kind of freelancing have you been doing? If your good, I might be able to refer you to a publication or wire service...Please let me know what kind of reporting you like to do...remember, it's not what you like, it's what the publication needs....Will you cover wars? Will you cover police?
Will you cover politics or the economy?...Tell me a little about yourself...Right now I am semi-retired, having worked for the Hearst Corp., for many years and numerous other news companies. Drop me a note at redstar1945@gmail.com

Frank Levine....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Isaiah Hall in Spring Valley, California

44 months ago

Nikki i hope everything is going well for you now that its been about 3 years since you posted this. It really opened my eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.