Can't find work, defaulted on student loans and now homeless!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Unemployed not recent graduate in Long Branch, New Jersey

14 months ago

I graduated from RT school three years ago and still can't find work. Most of my classmates have given up looking for work and one of my classmates commited suicide. I have lost everything, car, savings, apartment and at the present time I am living in a tent in the woods.Think twice before enrolling in a respiratory therapy program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

14 months ago

If you have credit card debt, then go see a bankruptcy attorney. Use your parents address (you need an address) to apply for food stamps.

I am assuming you are a male. Look for labor work at like Wal-Mart. If you are physically strong you should be able to find labor work.

If you have family, ask to move into someone's basement. Once you find some labor work, move in with a group apartment, boarding house, or pay rent on the basement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RRT_RPFT in Penasqitos, California

14 months ago

Unemployed not recent graduate in Long Branch, New Jersey said: I graduated from RT school three years ago and still can't find work. Most of my classmates have given up looking for work and one of my classmates commited suicide. I have lost everything, car, savings, apartment and at the present time I am living in a tent in the woods.Think twice before enrolling in a respiratory therapy program.

I am so sorry for your situation. You are not alone! Unfortunately, this has happened to many, many of the RT Students (both graduated, and pre-graduated but at the end of their clinicals). Yet, on this forum there so many people that are STILL considering private, Diploma Mill school, RT programs. It's mind-boggling. May your sharing help others that are naively still considering/defending starting an RT Program. Keeping you in prayers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Elisa in East Providence, Rhode Island

13 months ago

I am so sorry about your situation. I am an RT also without a job! The field is saturated and the economy sucks. I graduated 2 years ago and have found nothing. Hospitals in RI are on a hiring freeze! Most of the RT's I know have been at a hospital over 25 years and they cannot afford to retire. I wasted all that money & two & 1/2 years in school for nothing! I agree with you Do Not waste you money on this program! Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jay RRT in Portland, Oregon

13 months ago

Wow, that's awful.

I am a new grad as well, just graduated this past June and obtained my CRT and RRT the following month.

The competition is fierce but you have to be willing to relocate. So far I have had 3 call backs and 2 interviews. It's all about networking and I think the fact that I have had several years of medical experience has GREATLY helped (finally my CNA II is paying off).

Just be willing to relocate, even if it's Alaska. Remember the longer you stay unemployed post-graduation, the more undesirable you look as a candidate. So take ANYTHING.

Good luck to us all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Also- I understand that with relocation comes hand in hand with very expensive fees for state licensure. So that is always a gamble.

Networking is going to be your most valuable tool. Get a job in a hospital - it doesn't matter what it is, EKG's, CNA, houskeeping, transport, etc., and start TALKING to the RT's and department managers. They are more likely to hire/consider internal applicants first. I have mastered the art of ASS KISSING - on a major level. During my clinicals, I treated them like 2 year interviews. I was always ON - always had a good attitude, always asked appropriate questions, and always took initiative to do or watch procedures even if it was my 1 millionth time seeing it! They will remember you for your tenure and enthusiasm and will likely consider you when something opens up.

On top of that, I worked TWO jobs at TWO different hospitals while I was in school. Not just for the money, but for the experience (hello resume), and the networking. I've applied to hospitals that don't even consider applicants who did not at least do clinicals at their site, but because of my experience I was able to snag an interview.

Don't give up. Put yourself out there and NETWORK your ass off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

Here's some advice. How about you learn to be positive, and encourage others, give them a little hope? Chew on that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in East Providence, Rhode Island

13 months ago

Hey Jay,

go chew on yourself! LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ebusiness66ATyahooDOTcom in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Wow, this is a terrible situation. A graduate committed suicide because of no job? That is sad to hear about. And then you live in a tent in the woods? And then others have been many years with no job?

I am truly sorry you guys are going through all these when we are always short at work and I have 2 jobs. A full time and a prn. There is work in some cities and states, but I know moving too is a gamble and requires a lot. So, I hope you guys can figure out what works for you.

Stay positive and keep on trying. I hope something positive happens to you guys.

Best of luck to you guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.