Fulltime school and job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

FTstdent in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

I am once again debating on heading back to school. I am 30 yrs old with no children.
I have been in the corporate field for 10 years and am tired of the layoffs, lousy pay, and office politics. My current position is no walk in the park and unfortunately I will not be able to switch jobs due to finances while in school.

I would like to hear from anyone who may have been in the same boat as I; holding an upper level corporate position yet trying to finish their RT degree. Is it possible?

I wish IU would take the older working generation into consideration and bring back a part time program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RQ in Syracuse, New York

16 months ago

I've worked in the corporate world, was laid off, and cared for an elderly parent with COPD. Once she passed away, I took a look at the job market and it had tanked with the exception of healthcare. So I started in a two year Respiratory Care program as a full time student.

However, now that I have graduated, taken boards, gotten my RRT, respiratory jobs are few and far between for new grads. From what I hear, it's not much better in nursing either.

Honestly, you are better off in your corporate job. Respiratory also has lousy pay, and trust me department and hospital politics.

You might want to check with your local Respiratory Care program to see if they would permit you to take a few classes at a time to finish your RT degree. It might be possible as an exception. Nothing that they are actively advertising.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

FTstdent in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

16 months ago

I have checked and unfortunately there are no colleges in my area that provide a part time program.

I understand where you are coming from. I think we are still feeling the aftermath of the economy though. I think even in the corporate world it is difficult to find a decent job nowadays. .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.