HARD TO FIND JOBS IN THIS FIELD! R U SERIOUS!:(

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 220)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee

64 months ago

I have been read a lot of this comments and r u serious that there r job shortage for RT's I am starting school soon and I don't want to waste time and money if I can' t find a job soon after I graduate from school. A lot of people on this site is having problems getting hired as a new grad. If this is so then I should stay in the management. Oh please tell that there is hope @ the end of this tunnel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

fab007 in South San Francisco, California said: I figure if your starting school at this time it will take 2yrs to complete. By then the economy will hopefully be in better shape, more people employed=people getting healthcare=people getting sick=more demand for jobs in healthcare. Remember we are in a recession, its a great time to go to school and ride out the recession wave!!

Hope you r right fab

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dudeins in Phoenix, Arizona

64 months ago

It may pick up when the economy does, but I also know that RT schools are pushing that program. My brother graduates in a month and only got two job offers. When I graduated (4/2005) everyone was desperate for RT's. My personal opinion is that the market is now flooded. I have been unemployed for 4 mo. now:( I hope I don't disappoint you, but I'd try something else. X-Ray is flooded now also. Sure fire job+demand=Nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

u338 in Wheeling, West Virginia

63 months ago

I am a RT in West Virginia. I cant find a job in Pittsburgh or Ohio either! Two fellow Therapists of mine are working at a grocery store and at a walmart!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michael

63 months ago

I heard from a current RT that Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to sign a bill that is going to cut RT's on the floor from 4 to 2 with budget cuts. Can anyone else shine some light on this? Rumor has it that RN's will be taking over? hmmmm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

63 months ago

michael said: I heard from a current RT that Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to sign a bill that is going to cut RT's on the floor from 4 to 2 with budget cuts. Can anyone else shine some light on this? Rumor has it that RN's will be taking over? hmmmm

If that is true, it will hurt RT's across the country. Also ,that would be suicide for every hospital, with nurse's already over worked, under trained to do RT work.I heard of this yrs ago, that they wanted to cut out pt,rt,and lab at alot of hospitals,and nurse's would take over.It never happened, but hospital administrator's are only hanging themselves, just to save a buck.Watch, and see how many RT's leave that broke state. This would lead only to major shortage ,that already exists, do to retirement of alot of RT's in yrs to come.I have a friend ,that works contract through the state,and will find out if true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michael

63 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: If that is true, it will hurt RT's across the country. Also ,that would be suicide for every hospital, with nurse's already over worked, under trained to do RT work.I heard of this yrs ago, that they wanted to cut out pt,rt,and lab at alot of hospitals,and nurse's would take over.It never happened, but hospital administrator's are only hanging themselves, just to save a buck.Watch, and see how many RT's leave that broke state. This would lead only to major shortage ,that already exists, do to retirement of alot of RT's in yrs to come.I have a friend ,that works contract through the state,and will find out if true.

Thanks so much Mark for the feedback! I'm sure all of us can use the resourceful information provided by your friend. Hopefully this is not true and RT's will still be in full effect to not be effected by a budget cut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

63 months ago

michael said: Thanks so much Mark for the feedback! I'm sure all of us can use the resourceful information provided by your friend. Hopefully this is not true and RT's will still be in full effect to not be effected by a budget cut.

I also wanted to add, what about the union? I can't believe they would stand by and allow this to happen. And if this did happen, how many possibly would picket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

fab007 in Daly City, California

63 months ago

Micheal what sourse did your frient RT, hear that from news story, publication, etc....? There will always be rumors going around I would stray from people talking unless its in the RT publications about legislation cuts on healthcare concering RT's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LARISA DE LIMA in Summerville, South Carolina

63 months ago

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee said: I have been read a lot of this comments and r u serious that there r job shortage for RT's I am starting school soon and I don't want to waste time and money if I can' t find a job soon after I graduate from school. A lot of people on this site is having problems getting hired as a new grad. If this is so then I should stay in the management. Oh please tell that there is hope @ the end of this tunnel.

HI! I AM A RESPIRATORY THERAPYST FOR 15 YEARS. IT USE TO BE GOOD, BUT NOW... JOB MARKET IS FLADET, THERE IS NO JOBS AVAILABLE, SPECIALY FOR NEW GRADS. DONT WAIST YOUR TIME, GO FOR NURSING INSTEAD.
LARISA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

marky in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

michael said: I heard from a current RT that Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to sign a bill that is going to cut RT's on the floor from 4 to 2 with budget cuts. Can anyone else shine some light on this? Rumor has it that RN's will be taking over? hmmmm

if that's true then the hospitals will indeed suffer. I don't believe that, I work in Chicago in the SICU and I've seen the work that RT's do and it's no way in the world that nurses will be taking your places, no way. Because lots of nurses panic because they don't know what to do for some of these patients. My advice is don't get so worked up by stuff you are reading, with all the nursing shortages and people with respiratory problems in the state of CA, I don't think your jobs are in any trouble at all.The nurses have enough on their plate as it is, they wouldn't be able to handle it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marky in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

u338 in Wheeling, West Virginia said: I am a RT in West Virginia. I cant find a job in Pittsburgh or Ohio either! Two fellow Therapists of mine are working at a grocery store and at a walmart!!!!

have yo tried a nuring home? When I worked in a vent unit in a hospital they had contract RT's there. The jobs are not only in the hospitals. Also try googling entry -level jobs for RT's in your area, I'm sure you will find something. Didn't you train at a hospital?

Numbla in Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

marky in Chicago, Illinois said: have yo tried a nuring home? When I worked in a vent unit in a hospital they had contract RT's there. The jobs are not only in the hospitals. Also try googling entry -level jobs for RT's in your area, I'm sure you will find something. Didn't you train at a hospital?

What I meant is that I worked in a nursing Home Vent Unit and they had contract RT's at the nursing home. They have lots of listings at Monster and other places. Go on line and do your research. They have hospitals like Kindred Care and LTC facilities that hire RT's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Numbla in South Chicago, Illinois

63 months ago

reaching4thestars in memphis, Tennessee said: I have been read a lot of this comments and r u serious that there r job shortage for RT's I am starting school soon and I don't want to waste time and money if I can' t find a job soon after I graduate from school. A lot of people on this site is having problems getting hired as a new grad. If this is so then I should stay in the management. Oh please tell that there is hope @ the end of this tunnel.

Reaching;

Know this, It seems like in every profession even nursingpeople are saying that there are no jobs. If you go online right now and look for jobs for RT's you will find plenty of jobs. In 2-3 years when you are done that is the time to worry. RT's are very valuable to the health care industry. They are not going anywhere soon. Now if you were going for MA I could understand, there re plenty of jobs they are just not all in the hospitals.

Jason in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

I have a year and a half experience, and I cannot find a job to save my life. I have two travel agencies trying to get me work, but nobody wants me due to the lack of experience. I am working at a call center making 8 dollars an hour, and I owe Sallie Mae 15K for stupid RT school.

RT is ridiculous, DO NOT listen to the other RT's saying it's a great field with alot of opportunity. RT sucks, there are way too many therapist than jobs, which allows employers to be really really picky about who they hire, and not to mention the recession. We get no respect either, if you have a brain, you'll become an RN, and NOT an RT. It's ridiculous to have to wait till winter to have a shot at getting hired. Or to have to move from Arizona to Bangor, Maine to work.

RT IS A HORRIBLE FIELD TO ENTER, DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE SAYING IT'S GREAT, CAUSE IT'S NOT.
BECOME AN RN INSTEAD, BE SMART.

The manager at my last place just got fired, because she ran the department without a license.
She was a Napoleon boss who lost over half of her crew in the two years she ran the department.
That's why I left, because she was horrible. But I though I could get a job at a place that was ran by a decent person. But the only job I found is a call center.

I know another RT who can't find a job, she is beautiful and has a kid. She resorted to stripping to the pay the bills. Now that sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Markkay in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

Dreams2Dollars in Long Beach, New York said: dont limit yourself people, there is a virtual gold mind sitting right in front of you and i enjoy helping people just as much as i enjoy making money, anyone in a desperate situation i will be willing to help out, i don't care what background you came from what area, this is something that anyone can do.. i will provide the training if you are willing to learn and you can get started at no risk because most people who need money dont want to spend alot of money in a effort to make money...

happy thanksgiving all! god bless...

Doug M

Doug@Dreams2dollars.com

They seem to have pllso enty of jobs at www.absolutelyheathcare.com and also at www.medicalgigs.net What about entry level jobs? Google your state and respiratory jobs along with entry-level jobs and something will come up. Also if you go to www.hospitaljobsonline.com they have jobs. I have seen jobs posted for RT's with agency's that hire Nurses, Cna's and medical staff. A year and a half experience will get you something you just need to know where to look. They also have jobs at www.monster.com as well as www.careerbuilder.com or you can google jobs at yahoo hot jobs. Just look!

61 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Markykay in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

Just because youm cannot find a job that is no rason to put down the RT profession. I'm not an RT but I find the profession is both rewarding and it is a profession that is definitely needed in the hospitals and nursing homes. I've worked around RT's for about 9 years and let me tell tou they are very dedicated to their jobs, they have to tell the residents in the hospital what to do sometimes because they know their stuff. The residents actually have to learn from them because they know more about respiratory than the docs. The hospitals and vent units cannot function without them.

I believe that once you find a joba and start working you will change your tune. Stop putting down your profession and just continue looking, I put some sites in this forum that do hire new grads, be encouraged. "So shall a man thinketh in his heart, so shall he be" If you don't think you will ever get a job you won't, but if you try and stay positive you never know what will happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Frederick in Southfield, Michigan

61 months ago

Dreams to dollars is a SCAM!!! People, stay away from DREAMSTODOLLARS!! Some big following you have...Founded in 1999 and 8 fans on facebook..LMFAO!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tony in Southfield, Michigan

61 months ago

Wow Frederick...thats .8 or 4/5 fans a year...sounds like some BS to me..Besides, you know this guy is desperate when he/she has to prospect on a respiratory therapist forum...LMFAO!

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California

61 months ago

Jason, Negativity begets negativity; you reap what you sow. I am sorry your experience has disheartened you about our profession, however I have a completely different view and encourage others to pursue a career in Respiratory Therapy. I feel fortunate. I actually like what I do as a Respiratory Therapist. April 2010 will be the end of my 13th year working in the field and I continue to enjoy my job. Our economy is effecting every profession....Physicians, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Massage Therapists, Hair Stylists, Waiters...etc. None are exempt. My sister, as Director of Accounting at UCSD was forced to take a ten percent pay cut and a sixteen day per month furlough(unpaid time off). I like her positive energy. She's grateful she still has her job and she appreciates the extra time she can spend with her husband and 4 year old son. Although there have been layoffs at the company her husband works for, he still has his job, so they're okay for now. We're all feeling it and should encourage rather than discourage each other. Competition is high due to the unemployment rate. The jobs are available, we just have to be more resourceful and work harder to find them. Never give up. Love to all. Good journey. Thank you Markkay for providing websites to start searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mark RCP in Texas

61 months ago

I know and feel all of your frustrations. Even as RT for 10yrs , its hard to find work. But for me, I have no ties to one place, also now in Seattle. The work is every where, one hospital , Swedish needs RT's.Up and down the coast there is work, exp in Oregon.I know recruiters that need RT's, and if your NICU RT there is plenty here. I know its not easy to relocate, and know that feeling, but , its like alot said on here, you have to go where the work is. Also there is a FT opening at St-Davids- Georgetown hospital, its part of St Davids Medical.
But for all you out of work and looking,remember to have faith.

marley12 in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Rolinda,

I've been following these posts for some time now and just wanted to thank you for your feedback. Your knowledge, help, insight, advice is truly remarkable; but your OPTIMISM is completely refreshing and uplifting. I'm an RRT in San Diego, licensed 6 months ago and still looking for employment. I won't give up, The thought has never crossed my mind. I love this field and will eventually find employment.

It's always a pleasure coming across your posts. You're well spoken, well versed, sincere and an asset to our field. THANK YOU for all that you do!

Mike

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

marley12 in San Diego, California said: Rolinda,

I've been following these posts for some time now and just wanted to thank you for your feedback. Your knowledge, help, insight, advice is truly remarkable; but your OPTIMISM is completely refreshing and uplifting. I'm an RRT in San Diego, licensed 6 months ago and still looking for employment. I won't give up, The thought has never crossed my mind. I love this field and will eventually find employment.

It's always a pleasure coming across your posts. You're well spoken, well versed, sincere and an asset to our field. THANK YOU for all that you do!

Mike

Hi Mike, Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. Stay positive. Keep the Faith. Believe, and good things will come. I wish you all the best. I know you will be successful. Enjoy the journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RT in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

Jason in Tucson, Arizona said: I have a year and a half experience, and I cannot find a job to save my life. I have two travel agencies trying to get me work, but nobody wants me due to the lack of experience. I am working at a call center making 8 dollars an hour, and I owe Sallie Mae 15K for stupid RT school.

RT is ridiculous, DO NOT listen to the other RT's saying it's a great field with alot of opportunity. RT sucks, there are way too many therapist than jobs, which allows employers to be really really picky about who they hire, and not to mention the recession. We get no respect either, if you have a brain, you'll become an RN, and NOT an RT. It's ridiculous to have to wait till winter to have a shot at getting hired. Or to have to move from Arizona to Bangor, Maine to work.

RT IS A HORRIBLE FIELD TO ENTER, DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE SAYING IT'S GREAT, CAUSE IT'S NOT.
BECOME AN RN INSTEAD, BE SMART.

The manager at my last place just got fired, because she ran the department without a license.
She was a Napoleon boss who lost over half of her crew in the two years she ran the department.
That's why I left, because she was horrible. But I though I could get a job at a place that was ran by a decent person. But the only job I found is a call center.

I know another RT who can't find a job, she is beautiful and has a kid. She resorted to stripping to the pay the bills. Now that sucks.

Hey, I totally agree with you. I garduated RT last Nov 08. I started working for the registry and they pay me dirt cheap. Ive been looking for a full time job and still nothing until now. I only work 4 days a month per diem in a subacute. People, dont go for RT its too saturated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Iwent on www.absolutelyhealthcare.com and I found lots and lots of jobs in AZ. They have many jobs for New grads too, be encouraged.

RNRT in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

RT in Los Angeles, California said: Hey, I totally agree with you. I garduated RT last Nov 08. I started working for the registry and they pay me dirt cheap. Ive been looking for a full time job and still nothing until now. I only work 4 days a month per diem in a subacute. People, dont go for RT its too saturated.

The profession itself doesn't "suck", it's what you make of it. As for the job market, yeah that sucks. Trust me I am an RN and RT, it is hard to find a job period, not like the recession only hurt the RT world, its all of healthcare. Yes the job market is saturated. Instead of complaining, write COARC and stop them from allowing more schools to pop up!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

If you (and your job search) are stuck in a rut, here are five ways Blumenthal suggests to rejuvenate your job search and mix things up a bit:

1. Go online
"You've sent out more résumés than you can count. But have you tweeted? It's a social networking world. Build your online connections on services like Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Then use that platform to make value-added observations about your line of work and job searching. You never know where your electronic connections can lead," he says.

2. Separate yourself
"Hiring managers and recruiters receive tons of résumés. Some are better than others, but frankly, none of them stand out. You need something else," he says. "Try writing an article or two about your field. Print them up on glossy paper with a nice graphic design. Add a professional bio, and put it all together in a nice folder. Now, instead of sending a résumé, you're sending a press kit on you. That stands out."

3. Have fun
"I know a woman who once sent her résumé folded up and stuffed inside of a baby sneaker. Her note said she was sure to be a 'shoe-in' for the job," he recalls. "If you are bored with your job search, it will show in your materials, your applications and your interviews. So have some fun." (And yes, the 'shoe-in' did get the job.)

4. Set a big goal
"You've already met 100, 200, 500 people? Set a goal to meet and have one-on-one conversations with 100 new people this month. Is it possible? Can you do it? Use Facebook. Go to professional meetings. Ask 10 friends to introduce you to 10 new people. It doesn't matter if they are in your field. This is the "Six Degrees of Separation" game. Meet up and let the new connections take you where they will," he says.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

5. Go to work
"Volunteer at a local charity or political organization. You have the time, and this helps you in so many ways," he says. How? It feels good to help; you're using your skills; you're meeting new people; you're getting off the couch and out of the house; and you will build your stockpile of stories. "When you meet people or interview, the connections you make are through your stories. What better story to tell than something that happened while you were helping make the world a better place?"

Ultimately, Blumenthal reminds job seekers to treat their job search like a job, and like a project that has a long-term objective.

"Do what you would do if this were such a project. Celebrate milestones and accomplishments along the way. Appreciate what you love about this job. After all, you can work in your pajamas, set your own hours, work from Starbucks and pick your kids up from school."

This is the continuation of above. I copied directly from Career Builder's website. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: 5. Go to work
"Volunteer at a local charity or political organization. You have the time, and this helps you in so many ways," he says. How? It feels good to help; you're using your skills; you're meeting new people; you're getting off the couch and out of the house; and you will build your stockpile of stories. "When you meet people or interview, the connections you make are through your stories. What better story to tell than something that happened while you were helping make the world a better place?"

Ultimately, Blumenthal reminds job seekers to treat their job search like a job, and like a project that has a long-term objective.

"Do what you would do if this were such a project. Celebrate milestones and accomplishments along the way. Appreciate what you love about this job. After all, you can work in your pajamas, set your own hours, work from Starbucks and pick your kids up from school."

This is the continuation of above. I copied directly from Career Builder's website. Hope this helps.

Oops, sorry about that. It was suppose to read...Copied directly from Career Builder's website.

61 months ago

Rolinda in Chula Vista, California said: Oops, sorry about that. It was suppose to read...Copied directly from Career Builder's website.

You know Rolinda some people just need to be encouraged. I took a Dialysis Training class about a year ago and I'm a PCT. I have 7 years of Phlebotomy training but I couldn't find a jobat all in Chicago. Now that I'm in school for LPN and getting a new job I was approached regarding a job with davita for a Re-use Technican but of course I won't be taking it because of the other job.

I say those who haven't found a job in their field don't be discouraged work where you can now and just keep trying. They have nursing homes with Vent Units in Chicago and also children's hospitals, Veteran Hospitals,nursing homes,even Kindred Care who is one of the known Hospital networks have nothing but Vent patients for long time care in nursing homes and hospitals. I believe if some of these people expand their searches and look in places they never thought about before and they will find jobs. I can bet some of their local nursing homes in their state maybe hiring and some agencies do take New grads, they just have to ask,they just may surprise themselves. Just ask yourself besides hospitals where do they need RT's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Google Respiratory Therapist entry-level jobs, And your states something will come up, also www.diversityworking.com there is also agencies that want 1 year of experience in a hospital for RT's, God bless!

rolinda in San Diego, California

61 months ago

Excellent suggestions Markkay!. Thank you. These websites may also be of help for those searching for available RT jobs. Try Respiratorytherapistjobs.com and Healthcarejobstore.com. Never give up. Stay positive. Love to all. Good journey.

rolinda in San Diego, California

61 months ago

rolinda in San Diego, California said: Excellent suggestions Markkay!. Thank you. These websites may also be of help for those searching for available RT jobs. Try Respiratorytherapistjobs.com and Healthcarejobstore.com. Never give up. Stay positive. Love to all. Good journey.

www.Respiratorytherapistjobs.com and www.Healthcarejobstore.com.

Jason in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

My Travel agency said they had 30 to 99 therapists applying per each job. I mean, sure there are some sites with a few postings, but you have to imagine how many therapists are trying to get these jobs.

I really people see how much pain we are going through (and the pain they will go through), and give RT school a huge second thought.
And then hopefully in the future. The jobs and therapists will balance themselves out more, and we won't have to work fast-food till we can get another RT job.

Are employers just turning their backs on entry level therapists, or what?
How are we going to become experienced therapists if nobody will ever hire us?

I'm sorry for being so pessimistic, but I earned the right.
I worked very hard to become a therapist, and now i'm working at a call center while my skills are getting rusty.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RT wanting to become OT/PT in Los Angeles, California

61 months ago

Jason in Tucson, Arizona said: My Travel agency said they had 30 to 99 therapists applying per each job. I mean, sure there are some sites with a few postings, but you have to imagine how many therapists are trying to get these jobs.

I really people see how much pain we are going through (and the pain they will go through), and give RT school a huge second thought.
And then hopefully in the future. The jobs and therapists will balance themselves out more, and we won't have to work fast-food till we can get another RT job.

I worked very hard to become a therapist, and now i'm working at a call center while my skills are getting rusty.

Jason, I feel your pan, I myself is having difficulties finding a job. I graduated NOv 2008 and took my CRT right away and passes and started applying but until now I only work per diem in 1 subacute and I only get 3 days a month! I started repaying my student loan a few months ago and Im so discouraged and depressed about the job huntng. Im thinking I may just go back to school and get into another profession :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Jason, This may interest you. It may be a PRN(as needed) position, but it's a good start. Won't hurt to try. I wish you all the best.

Job Title: Respiratory Care Practitioner 3
Company Name: Northwest Medical Center
Employment Type: PRN
Department: RESP/CARDIO
Salary: Highly Competitive
Shift/Hours: Varied Shift
Shift Details: Varied Shift
Hours/Pay Period: 0
Degree Required: A.A.
Job ID: 3109
Date Posted: Nov 13, 2009
Years Experience: 0
Note: Please read the complete description below before applying for this job.
Complete Description

Responsibilities: Responsible for all general respiratory care duties as a respiratory care practitioner which includes the administration of aerosol therapy, arterial blood draws and analysis, ECG's, pulmonary function screening, oxygen administration, and incentive spirometry. Intensive care experience must include but not limited to arterial line management, ventilator maintenance and troubleshooting, intubation and extubation of patients.

Education:Associates degree in Respiratory care from an AMA accredited school of respiratory therapy.

Certification/licenses: Current Arizona Respiratory Care license. Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential. Must be able to obtain BCLS, and ACLS certifications within 4 months of employment. Failure to obtain and maintain required licensure or certification may result in demotion or termination of employment.

Skills: Has current knowledge and skills appropriate to age/type of patient population served. Must be competent in performing general respiratory care procedures. Must be competent in performing care of critical patients. Must demonstrate ability to supervise in a respiratory care setting. Must be competent in communication skills that provide clear and accurate information in an appropriate manner within the developmental age range of the patient.

Experience: None

Mark RCP in Texas

61 months ago

I dont think that there turning their back, its I feel all due to the down turn, and needing only experienced RT's now. I just has an interview yesterday,and the hiring manager was glad to see a experienced RT apply. Not sure why, but in this case, most hospitals here in the NW, are so busy with vents, they need experience.And floor care is given to the nurse's now. Also , its a big investment for hospitals to train anyone,and maybe that the new grad's dont stick with it,and then quit after or during the 90 day period. Just a feeling, dont quote me....

Mark RCP in Texas

61 months ago

Jason in Tucson, Arizona said: My Travel agency said they had 30 to 99 therapists applying per each job. I mean, sure there are some sites with a few postings, but you have to imagine how many therapists are trying to get these jobs.

Jason, are able to relocate or have tie's there in Tucson?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Tucson, Arizona

61 months ago

Mark RCP in Texas said: Jason, are able to relocate or have tie's there in Tucson?

Hi Mark. I've been working with 3 travel agencies to find work, but no luck yet. I have tried Indiana, Arizona, Hawaii. They submit my name, but I have yet to get an interview.

61 months ago

Did you try Chicago? They have work there. They have agencies that send people to hospitals and nursing homes with Vent patients.

61 months ago

I just got an invite with Rttempts.com They are on facebook and have jobs for RT's on there. There seem to be a lot of them so I suggest anyone who is an RT who don't have a job to go on there and see what up.

frustrated in Richmond, Texas

60 months ago

I think that there is a job shortage for RT. If theres anyway that you can change your career, I would. You will never get any respect. You always are going to be treated like garbage. Ive been a therapist for 6 long years and I have noting but regrets. RT has been a total waste of time. You will definitely be overworked and under paid. I intend to go back to school because I cant spend the rest of my life like this. It truly is a horrible profession. I wish to God that I had listened to some of the older RTs when I was in school.

agent007 in South San Francisco, California

60 months ago

frustrated, wow your handle tells us alot about your attitude. Maybe you get treated like that because of your attitude or because you live in Richmond Texas. This however is not the crying section please go elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

millerhealthcare in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

60 months ago

frustrated in Richmond, Texas said: I think that there is a job shortage for RT. If theres anyway that you can change your career, I would. You will never get any respect. You always are going to be treated like garbage. Ive been a therapist for 6 long years and I have noting but regrets. RT has been a total waste of time. You will definitely be overworked and under paid. I intend to go back to school because I cant spend the rest of my life like this. It truly is a horrible profession. I wish to God that I had listened to some of the older RTs when I was in school.

Please email me I would love to ask you a few questions b/c I am having trouble passing my Louisiana State Boards. I think this forum takes thing to heart a bit too much! So email me privately, please
millerhealthcare@yahoo.com

Freddy in Detroit, Michigan

60 months ago

millerhealthcare in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: Please email me I would love to ask you a few questions b/c I am having trouble passing my Louisiana State Boards. I think this forum takes thing to heart a bit too much! So email me privately, please
millerhealthcare@yahoo.com

Did you attend IU? If so, do you think this school prepares students to pass RT and CRT board exams?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

frustrated in Richmond, Texas said: I think that there is a job shortage for RT. If theres anyway that you can change your career, I would. You will never get any respect. You always are going to be treated like garbage. Ive been a therapist for 6 long years and I have noting but regrets. RT has been a total waste of time. You will definitely be overworked and under paid. I intend to go back to school because I cant spend the rest of my life like this. It truly is a horrible profession. I wish to God that I had listened to some of the older RTs when I was in school.

why do you feel this way about your proffession, what make you have this regrets?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tee tee in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

I agree.....cant find a job anywhere. All hospitals want experience but you dont have any when you just graduate.......................DDDUUUUHHHH!!!!. I hate that i ever went to become an RT...i wish i did nursing instead

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Tucson, Arizona

60 months ago

My agency just told me they have 20 new grads coming out of school for each single open position. And there's no limit right now on the schools or students or anything. I didn't know there was a way to limit how many schools can offer RT, or how many students they can pump out into the field. I went to my old school last week to get some info on the RN program, and they were trying to talk people into enrolling into RT. They were telling them how great it was, and how promising of a future there was in RT, but out of 30 students not one was interested in RT. Looks like the word is getting out how bad the field really is.
Just wait for them to graduate, and be stuck with a huge student loan, and no job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.